Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: New moulds - Issues?

Boolit Bub

New moulds - Issues?

I bought two new moulds both Lymans - 45 FN 405gr 264193 and a 45 Postell 535gr 264132. With the moulds closed I can see a very thin sliver of light at the middle of the nose when looking from the base end on both of them(cant see it when oiled).

Also the 405gr mould seems a little off center on the casts at the seams. tough to measure the offset. The 535gr has a wee bit but I do not think it is an issue.

Is this normal?
    Support Our Troops
    Semper Fi

You say you see light through the blocks, is this with the mold handles on? If it is, take the handles off and check the blocks. If the problem goes away, you know there is something going on with the handles. If the problem still exists, check your aligment pins and the opposing pin recesses for burrs and such. Good luck.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    Quote Originally Posted by justingrosche View Post
    You say you see light through the blocks, is this with the mold handles on? If it is, take the handles off and check the blocks. If the problem goes away, you know there is something going on with the handles. If the problem still exists, check your aligment pins and the opposing pin recesses for burrs and such. Good luck.
    Absolutely what he said!

I've notice this before, and find that Lyman molds seem to be more fussy about handles than Saeco or RCBS. The 311672 that I just received was mounted on a pair of Scovill handles (look like Saeco) in the closer of the two mounting positions. When casting I noticed the blocks weren't closing tight, so I switched them to the other set of holes.....same problem. I set that mold aside and changed the handles before my next casting session. On Lyman handles it works perfectly and is probably as good as cherry cut molds can be. The boolits are identical form cavity to cavity and within .0005" of round.