MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Tumble lubing question

Tumble lubing question

I'm still new to casting my own, I've been using Rooster Jacket lube for my boolits, I dip them in the lube place them on a sheet of wax paper and let dry over night. After that I went to load some up, and the lube "gunked" my seating die pretty good. Can I just take the boolits and run them thru a sizing die and eliminate the excess lube ? Or an I doing something wrong? Help advice anyone ?
    James 1:19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:

Banned

Read and follow label directions. Dipping them applies about 2,000 times too much.

Gear

Boolit Grand Master

Dipping the whole bullet or just the body/driving bands? Any lube on the nose of the bullet will eventually clog a seating die...

I have been dipping as per Ranch Dog (warm alox, warm bullets) and only submerge the bullets up to just below the crimp groove (Lyman 429421). Clean noses.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Dipping the whole bullet or just the body/driving bands? Any lube on the nose of the bullet will eventually clog a seating die...

I have been dipping as per Ranch Dog (warm alox, warm bullets) and only submerge the bullets up to just below the crimp groove (Lyman 429421). Clean noses.
    I do the same thing
    James 1:19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:

Boolit Grand Master
    Are you talking about pan lubing or do you dip boolits in molten Rooser Red??

If talking about Tumble Lubing with liquid Alox, a THIN coat is all that is needed.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned

Are you using Rooster Jacket tumble lube, or melted Rooster Red?

Gear

Boolit Master
    A couple ounces of either Rooster or Lee Alox should be used on thousands of bullets. A very little goes a VERY long way. Tumble lubing is way to go. I have near 500 rounds in 45LC through one of my rifle with out cleaning and it is still shooting tiny groups.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

rooster jacket tumble lube

Boolit Master

When I use Rooster Jacket I put maybe a 1/4 oz in a 1 qt ziploc bag along with a couple hundred bullets. I seal the bag and massage the bullets around a bit to get them coated and dump them on a screen to dry. There is usually enough residual Rooster in the bag to do another 100 or so bullets. A little bit of that goes a long way in target loads.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by brow_tines View Post
    rooster jacket tumble lube
    See post #2.

Gear

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    See post #2.

Gear
    I'm glad you put a lot of thought in your second post, I found it very insightful.