RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Black Powder Measure

Boolit Master

Black Powder Measure

Of all the powder measures on the market now for measuring black powder, does anyone have some recommendations as to price/convenience/quality/ease of use/features/? I have been measuring black powder for my 45-70 and 43 Spanish loads using a dipper and trickler into the scale pan for years and now I am looking at purchasing a regular powder measure. I have a couple of Hornady measures that I use for regular smokeless powder now.

Boolit Master
    Check out Dixie Gun Works or Track of the Wolf. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Try your Hornady measures and see how accurately they throw a charge. If they don't make you happy, get a Lyman. Save your money and just buy a regular Lyman, not the black powder model. You can ad a larger resivoir to the regular rig if you desire. The drop tube set up with the Lyman is worthless. You will find the Lyman to throw very consistant charges.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Try your Hornady measures and see how accurately they throw a charge. If they don't make you happy, get a Lyman. Save your money and just buy a regular Lyman, not the black powder model. You can ad a larger resivoir to the regular rig if you desire. The drop tube set up with the Lyman is worthless. You will find the Lyman to throw very consistant charges.
    So, what you are suggesting is that I don't need a special, non-sparking powder measure? One with all brass parts? That seems to be the only difference between the two Hornady powder measures?

I using the Lee Auto Load systems as the guy I bought it from used did. No problem at all as it is anti static also though a plastic. Other than having to use a double disk measuring system it meters perfectly after about 5 or so rounds once filled.

Quote Originally Posted by DonMountain View Post
    So, what you are suggesting is that I don't need a special, non-sparking powder measure? One with all brass parts? That seems to be the only difference between the two Hornady powder measures?
    Yep. You got it.

Boolit Master

Steel Black Powder Measure?

Of course I assume that all of you that use a steel powder measure for loading Black Powder cartridges have never had a problem with them exploding, and everyone that did have a problem isn't on this web page any more?

Boolit Buddy
    just some points to review when asking if you need a special powder drop, imho.
    1] static is dependant on the atmospheric and envirmental conditions.
    2] you can always ground the measure.
    3] where is the spark going to be generated? smooth steel to smooth steel at low speed [ie no heat]
    4] lawyers, need i say more?
    5] who's to say some guy blew him selfup while smoking and the lawyers ran with it.
    this is like the news storys that blame the range fire on some one shooting 22rf at rocks, don't think so.
    shaune509

Boolit Master
    I put a brass hopper tube on my redding and wipe the drum with an anti static dryer sheet before I start loading. Used to have tin foil lineing my plastic hopper. Would not load during a thunder storm or rubbing my feet on carpet.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomokid View Post
    I put a brass hopper tube on my redding and wipe the drum with an anti static dryer sheet before I start loading. Used to have tin foil lineing my plastic hopper. Would not load during a thunder storm or rubbing my feet on carpet.
    If you put the tin foil on your head, all other precautions are redundant.

Boolit Buddy
    Don,
    If you have a few extra bucks lyign around, go on FelaBay and try to get yourself a Belding and Mull. I got one and it is my go to black powder measure. It's amazingly accurate for as old as it is and besides if you're worried about static, it's aluminum and brass. By the way, static won't set off black powder... Many here will agree with me and numerous tests have been done...
    Good luck,
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Hole black is measured by volume, not weight.
    TC makes a dandy test tube graduated volume powder measure.

I have a spout on the can, and pour it right into the tube, then down the powder drop.

I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master

Drop Tube

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    Hole black is measured by volume, not weight.
    TC makes a dandy test tube graduated volume powder measure.

I have a spout on the can, and pour it right into the tube, then down the powder drop.

Nice drop tube setup? Where did you find the brass tube and how long of a drop is it?