Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: S&W model 29-3

Boolit Master

S&W model 29-3

Just purchased a Smith model 29-3 in 6 1/2", very nice condition, but.....(there's always a but, isn't there?) when you open the cylinder and look at the rear edge of the ejector shroud you can see a sliver of light between the shroud and the frame.

Is this an indication that the barrel has been replaced (by a not-so-careful 'smith) or has anyone else ever seen this from the factory?

Is it something I should be concerned with?

I bought the gun out of state and had it shipped to my local dealer, who also claims to be a gunsmith (never used that part of his business). When I asked the receiving dealer (been a dealer for 15 years, part time after regular job enterprise), he looked at it and stated it indeed had been replaced and the proof was stamped on the crane, the mod-3. The digit "3" after the dash indicates the gun was shipped from S&W originally with a three inch barrel, opines the erstwhile "dealer". HUH?

Well, I didn't enlighten him, but my opinion of his competance as a dealer slipped considerably.

Bought the gun for just under five hundred, thought I would shoot it a bit and see how it does, if need be get it worked on to properly index the barrel.

Any opinions as to whether this is an issue or non-issue?

If the barrel was turned past it's 12 oclock position, the front site has to be slightly tilted, judging by the thin sliver of light, probably not by much, at least can't see it with the eye.

What say ye?
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Buddy
    I own several and have seen many Smiths like that.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Yes most of my29-2 are like that too

I think a gap would be better. Less barrel vibration without the shroud contacting frame.

It's a normal condition. When the barrel is screwed in, the front sight has to be at the 12 o'clock position. If there is a slight gap, that's much better than having a tilted front sight.

And your "gunsmith" needs an education on S&W revolvers and the numbering system they use.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master
    I believe a slight (no more than, say, .005 ideally), gap between the shroud and the frame is perfectly acceptable in these guns. What you don't want is the shroud to contact the frame before the barrel shoulder does--this could make some ugly marks on the frame, as well as keeping the barrel from being properly tightened up. I'd see how she shoots, and as long as it's good and tight and shoots good I wouldn't worry about it.

lathesmith

Boolit Master
    Thanks, guys, that makes me feel much better about my purchase. Pretty busy right now (preparing to go away on vacation for a week, gotta get the house ready/stocked for granddaugter who is house sitting for us) but will shoot her (the gun, not the grand daughter)when I return.
    vern
    Last edited by Olevern; 05-04-2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: clarify
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Bub
    My 29-3 has the same gap & I know it's never been in the shop.