Reloading EverythingPBcastcoTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55 mm

Boolit Buddy
    found out another thing this evening when i was rolling some for try outs next week.

in house i had somewhere a perforator , that is used for punching holes in paper.
    turns out that the paper "disks"in the reservoir is the same size as the bottom of my bullet , so i took some , wet them in water and sticked them to the bullets base.
    then i patched the bullet the same as the first ones i did.
    i think it would be a nice protection of the base , and i can even put in a carton or
    maby some thicker , stronger paper.

so , another thing i have to experiment with....

i patched 20 bullets this evening , 10 of them with the core sized at 6.45 mm,
    and 10 of them with the core at 6.50 mm , the difference is like 0.016 ".
    lets see how this works out.

Boolit Buddy
    so , now i load me up a new batch of 20 cartridges.
    the cores were of different size this time , glad i made some sizers !
    the primer was again federal no 210 , the powder being lovex d060 [ acurrate 5477].
    i made bullets that i marked A : 19.0 gr core 6.45 mm
    B : 19.5 gr core 6.45 mm
    C : 19.0 gr core 6.50 mm
    D : 19.5 gr core 6.50 mm
    the results are in the foto , its shot at 100 mtr , prone position and i didnt touch the sights.

at home i found there is still some leading in the bore , i dont know if its from my reloads, or the bore isnt properly dressed for paperpatch yet , as by now only 40 of them have been shot
    well see how this will be after some while , for now im not worrying about it.
    i was gonna tryout the other core diameter , but i havent enough comparrising yet.
    best grouping i had tonight was with the bullet marked "b"i think , wich was the core at 6.45.
    this core size has me puzzled a bit , when i take one of the 6.45 sized ones i can easly
    put them in my barrel with some pressure of my thumb , when recovered i dont see much engraving of the lands.
    however , when i put one sized 6.50 mm in my barrel i have to tap it in , and when i recover this one i can definitly see some engravings.
    after reading pdawgs post again i think the 6.50 mm has the best specification .
    maby the bullet of 6.45 mm bumps up a little under the pressure?
    i also noticed that the nose of my castings is smaller then boresize , so maby i can set the patch further down the bullet , lets say to the first driving band , and it can enter the throat
    a little further... hmm must look in to this next week.
    all in all i have a great time experimenting in paperpatched boolit shooting !

Boolit Buddy
    the new results :
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    i took some quick measurements :
    with the bullet patched like i ve done so far , i have an overall cartridge lenght of
    69.90 mm [ 2.72 "].
    this is with the cartridge in the chamber and the bold closed.
    when i now do the same , but cut the patch back to the first drivingband, i have
    an overall cartridge lenght of 74 mm [ 2.91 "].
    and still no sign of engraving on the patch i might add .

cutting down on the patch lets my bullet 4 mm [ 0.157"] closer to the lands .

i think i ll have my next thing to try right here...

Boolit Buddy
    done some further testing today.
    for now i have a load that i intend to use for some time , it seems to work just fine for me.
    accuracy seems to be fine now , im not a great shot , but the holes in the paper
    are close together.
    my load for now is a bullet , 140 gr, with a paperpatch that leaves the nose bare.
    in fact , the patch starts at the first driving band.
    the coresize is 6.45 mm , two wraps of bar printingpaper , final sizing at .264'.
    lubed lightly with a beeswax/vaseline mix.
    the primer is a federal 210 , powder is 19.5 gr of aa 5477 [ called lovex d060 here].

seems to work just fine for me !

Boolit Buddy
    still improving.
    19.5 gr lovex do6o powder , coresize 6.45 mm.
    funny thing is that the first five shots were at the center , and the following shots
    are sliding down , but as a group.
    found out that my backsight is a little loose , will try to fasten it up a bit.
    100 mtr , off hand prone position.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    i think i have the rearsight looseness tackeled now.
    it appeared to be some play in the metal to metal contact on the sliding part.
    i slided off the upper part and cleaned the bearing surface , then with a tip of a screwdriver i tipped some molycote 3402 C LF antifriction coating on to it.
    left it to dry for ten minutes and put it back together again.
    i still can adjust my rearsight now , but the play is gone.
    the coating takes up the play like a cushion.

i really like this stuff !

Boolit Buddy
    so , now with the rearsight thight fitting the groups shrink a lot !
    im not posting the results cause i removed the rearsight , and had to readjust
    shooting the rifle , but i can definitly see improvemend.

the previous mentioned "perforator discs "work great , i had some in thicker magazine glossy paper .
    i wet them and stick them to the bullets base , then i wrap my soaking wet paper.
    i start the wrapping at the point were the first driving band begins.
    my patches are to long , and when rolled on to the bullet i tear of the end , wich is easy cause there wet , and the ends i tap with my finger to the base.
    it will leave the paper disk covered at the ends but the middle exposed.

these disc i find about five yards or so from the muzzle , and they are intact.

Boolit Buddy
    wow ,
    3874 times vieuwed... im impressed !

As of 10-26-12 it's up to 4024 views! Yeah, that is impressive, and about the only thing I can conclude is your subject is pretty dear to a lot of us. The original Swedish Military 6.5x55 with its fast rate of twist can be a challenge to load cast projectiles for, but cast is pretty much all I shoot in my two m96 Swedes. I already listed my load elsewhere, but I'll do it again, I use the 140 grain SAECO 0.264 lapped out to 0.267" for one Swede and 0.269" for the other and no more than 46 grains IMR5010 with 140 grain boolits. At around 47 grains IMR5010 the boolits just disappear and don't make it 100 yards to the target. Don't know where they go.
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Haha, I resemble that remark! I had boolits break in half and hit my truck, which was at 90 degrees and barely in front of the firing line about 50 yards away. That fast twist does interesting things to lead boolits if they're not wrapped in paper first.

Boolit Buddy
    i just made me a batch of 40 cartridges for my first match on saturday...

i bet i will be the only one with paperpatched bullets !

Hey, edwin41, good luck! If you do well you will have to change your name from ed-WIN to ed-WON!

rl 1,154
    ~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+~+:/&\:+
    There is no such thing as too many tools, especially when it comes to casting and reloading.
    Howard Hughes said: "He who has the tools rules".

Safe casting and shooting!

Linstrum, member F.O.B.C. (Fraternal Order of Boolit Casters), Shooters.com alumnus, and original alloutdoors.com survivor.

Boolit Buddy
    thanks lindstrom,
    the competition is at high level , but my carl gustav is up for the challenge.

so is my ammunition..... paperpatched 140 gr loverin style bullet in a norma casing,