RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eagle cobra press

Boolit Grand Master

Eagle cobra press

Does anyone know if the old Eagle Cobra presses had removeable shellholders, Like the kind we use today on most presses . I have a chance to buy one but I don't want to get into the situation of not being able to use it because the shellholders are no longer available.

There is a short description in the Handloader's Digest 6th edition but all it says is " with shell holder head, eagle blood case lube, 1 set of dies , priming arm and ram........$42.50 " which doesn't tell me much about the shellholder situation .

All help is appreciated.....gary

Boolit Master

Other HYandloaders Digests describe Eagle Products as manufacturing shell holders to fit most C and H presses having universal rams. By looking at the picture a Cobra press it looks like it has a C-clip retention spring at the top of the ram...I would presume a standard shellholder would snap into it. My guess.
    Jon

Banned
    Buy the Eagle, it is a fun design. Yes, it uses snap-in shellholders.
    Ken

Boolit Grand Master

Snap-in shell holders ... that is exactly what I wanted to hear. That means it can still be functional after I rehab it.

A big thank you to Roundnoser and Pressman for thier help.

gary

Boolit Grand Master

Pressman
    I purchased the Eagle Cobra press. It looks really grungy ( my wife thinks I am now totaly insane to spend money on somthing that looks so bad ) I have seen photo's of presses you and seagiant have rehabed and going to do same ...or try.
    Will take some "before " then "after " photo's then post them. Hope my efforts turn out half as well.

gary

Banned
    Gary, the Eagle has a bad paint job, it almost never sticks to the aluminum. Anything you do to it will be a vast improvement.
    Ken

Boolit Grand Master

Pressman....
    I was thinking about just that....painting the cast alumn. and you are right the paint , whats left , looks terrible.

Any suggestions on how to refinish it ? I have never tried to paint alumn. and have no idea what to use on it as far as proper paint and primer.

The alumn. backstrap on my Ruger old model Blackhawk got to looking so bad and I didn't know what else to do , so I just used 400 grit wet or dry and removed what was left of the black anodizing and left it bare alumn. Every now and then I would polish it up and it looked good but soon lost it's high polish and looked more of a matt silver color.

Any advice for a press rehab virgin ?

Thanks.......gary

Boolit Grand Master

The eagle cobra press just arrived

The box was sitting on the front porch. Here are " BEFORE " photo's. the paint is a black crinkle paint that flakes off when you touch it. It takes snap in shell holders but lacks the C-clip retention spring at the top of the ram.

Seems like it has been used very little, no looseness in any of the joints , the ram moves up and down smoothly this little thing is sweet. The design is very unique and I think I'm gonna find a lot of uses for it. I looked at the frame and it has cast into it COBRA 300, the rubber/plastic handle has no signs of wear, I think this has been stored away for years and used very little. Except every time you pick it up black paint flakes off like it's got a bad case of dandruff.

How did I do for my first time ( with shipping it was $32.00 ).......
    gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gary's Guns 012.jpg   Gary's Guns 013.jpg   Gary's Guns 014.jpg  

I think it is great, a unique look and certainly resembling a cobra hood.

Boolit Master
    Might want to look into paint made for cast aluminum outdoor grills.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Hi Gary,
    Some of the best black wrinkle paint jobs on presses I've ever seen was done by Kevin Rohrer here on this forum. I have the info on the paint he uses in case I want to try it sometime. Most of my stuff I just clean and try to keep as much of the original powder coat as possible on the press as it has "texture" and then I repaint.

Something you want to remember is it takes time for most paint to "cure" and harden! If you handle it before it hardens you will transfer dirt and fingerprints to your work. I now have a cabinet that I use for a dry box when painting or a damp box when slow rust blueing. All I use for heat is a 100W light bulb when drying to get rid of the humidity in the air. A cardboard box could even be used?

http://www.amazon.com/VHT-Wrinkle-Bl.../dp/B0028ZPRA8
    Last edited by seagiant; 08-15-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master
    Eastwood sells this system for at home diy powder coating. I have always wanted to give it a try. It might be just the ticket for a project like this.
    http://www.eastwood.com/powder-gun-promo-kit.html

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    When aircraft are repainted, the fuselage is given a mild acid wash first. This microscopically roughens the aluminum and gives the paint something to grab...otherwise most airplanes would look like Eagle Cobra presses!

Boolit Master
    Duracote

Boolit Master

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    When aircraft are repainted, the fuselage is given a mild acid wash first. This microscopically roughens the aluminum and gives the paint something to grab...otherwise most airplanes would look like Eagle Cobra presses!

Muric acid is what I used as an acid wash on an aluminum tree stand I camo-d.

Picked it up at Lowes.

Boolit Grand Master

Does anyone know where to get the C- spring clip that holds the snap-in shellholder in the ram ? The Cobra press came without one. It measures 3/4 1nch across ( the ram ) . The same as ram on Lee handpress but clip will not interchange . So what do you make a clip from when you get an old press missing this part ? I don't have any tools other than a vice and some assorted hand tools . Kinda at a loss on this.

I e-mailed Lyman about getting some from them, if they answer, there is a chance Lyman.s might work or I could adjust them with needle nose pliars to fit.

gary

Boolit Master
    Hi Gary,
    RCBS has them,CH Tool ect. You will not know if they work till you get them. A lot of the older rams use a set screw. Of course you will have to drill and tap. Any small machine shop near by,or gunsmith?
    Last edited by seagiant; 08-15-2012 at 04:38 PM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

I have that same press, don't know where you can get the clip but here is a picture of the clip that is on mine. If you need some kind of measurement off it let me know.

Boolit Grand Master

Seagiant, If I can't find or fabricate a clip I can/will go the drill, tap and setscrew route that is a big CAN-DO , thanks. Vernon sent a photo so now I know what it looks like.

Vernon,
    By the photo I can get the dimensions. THANKS, picture worth a thousand words.
    But how do you insert shellholder and does the little loop face the front ?
    I think your Cobra setup is really cool... tell me about it , where did you get it , how long ago, did you do anything to it , whats the story ? I never dreamed someone was still using one.

I think your's looks good and just may use mine like it is, nothing wrong with some honest wear right ?

I found this press about 8 or 9 years ago at a local auction. Bought a box lot of reload equipment that night for 25 dollars. Best auction deal I have ever had. I ended up with this press, two sets of reload dies, a couple boolit molds, a Lyman 45 lube sizer, lead boolits, and some other odds and ends. Sold some of it on ebay and that made a good down payment on a 44 mag that I had my heart set on. That's when I started reloading.
    Its been a good press, no complaints, other than the paint flaking off.

couple pics on the shell holder, should tell the story on how the loop works.