Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading

Thread: Whic Lube for the Whelen?

Which Lube for the Whelen?

I wasn't sure what forum this would fall under so mods, move it at your discretion. I'm getting a 35 Whelen next week and having Tom of Accurate Moulds make one for me as soon as the rifle comes in and I can slug the bore. I have two Lyman lube sizers, the 450 and 4500. One has SPG lube in it and the other 2500+. I hate emptying either as it's a real PITA and messy so, I've elected to try the 2500+ with the cast boolits for the Whelen. Would that be a good choice? Or, should I bite the bullet, dump it and go to maybe BAC?
    Last edited by ColColt; 07-03-2014 at 07:07 PM.
    NRA Patron Member

Kids Are For People That Can't Have Dogs

Boolit Master
    I changed over to 2500+ because i got tired of changing them out when doing pistol after rifle.

I like that stuff and have shot in the 35 whelen,303,8mm,7mm and a few 30 caliber rifles as well.
    The pistols don't mind it and it seems to do a good job in the 41 mag,45acp,45 colt and the 38/357.

If you got it use it .

I've got about four sticks along with several in BAC and CR. If I didn't have SPG in the other one I'd probably use BAC. Come to think of it, I have a coupole sticks of 50/50 as well. I must have bought a smorgasbord at one time.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master

PM me with your name and address for a free sample of my TAC1...It will do the trick and do it with less smoke

Banned

I have a pleathora of lube in my sizer, a mixture of 2 or 3 diff ones, it seems to work well for my 35 whelen so far.

I wouldn't sweat it to much to start.

I was looking earlier on Glenn's website about all the various lubes he's made and the 2500+ I had thought of seems to get a good rating for rifles.

"2500+ : This is a stiffer version of our regular 50-50 lube. Works well for all Rifle and pistol cartridges Has been shot to 2500 fps without any leading or fouling. Does not need a heater. Used by many top shooters in Military Rifle Cast Bullet matches. New National Records set while using our 2500+ lube."
    NRA Patron Member