RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Wifes Bird

Boolit Master

Wifes Bird

I had to show it off. My wife got her first turkey this past Monday, May 1st at Ft McCoy in Wisconsin.
    On April 26th, I called one in for her, here at home on the 2nd day of our season. Unfortunatley, she missed, turkey fever overtook her big time!! And he was a big bird to boot.
    So we took off Saturday late morning, after not seeing anything here Friday or Saturday mornings.
    We met a couple of friends of ours, Dave and Roy, in Sparta WI we were hunting with.

Monday morning, we split up, since we didn't know the area, being our first time hunting there. I went with Roy, my wife went with Dave.
    Dave and my wife set up first on a bird he'd named the sh*thouse bird, since he'd seen it first by a port-a-potty, when he came out from using it.
    After not getting any gobbles or actions from him, they moved to another area, where there was alot of sign. After a little bit of time they had a red, white, and blue head come in with no beard! That bird was kind of edgy, when my wife seen another Tom come in.
    Dave started working him, he was strutting and spitting and drumming.

What makes the hunt one my wife will never forget, is when Dave got him coming, and my wife set up in the blind, he set back, grabbed his coffee and told my wife enjoy the show!!!
    He talked her thru the whole time, geting her calmed down, and when it was time to take the shot.
    You listen to his talking of it, he kept telling her take the shot, squeeze the trigger, take the shot, squeeze the trigger...BOOM!!
    Dave is an awesome teacher and friend and taught us more in 2 days of hunting, than we've learned or read in 3 yrs of picking up the sport of turkey hunting.

Even though I wasn't there to see my wife kill her 1st bird, I couldn't be more happier or proud of her than I am now, for her getting her 1st bird.
    I've got 2 big birds in a row, and felt really bad she hadn't connected yet.
    Now that she's got her first under her belt, I forsee a future of me and her filling alot of tags all over the U.S. where a turkey lives.
    I've got alot to learn though on hunting with a partner, I've always hunted alone like when deer hunting, so it's all new to me. But exciting too!! Like when I called the bird in that she missed. I think I was breathing just as hard as she was when he kept double and triple gobbling and cutting me off.

But I can see alot of good years coming up, where we'll recall hunts and get a good laugh at them, or just remembering the hunt and both of us being able to share it together.

But long story short, my wifes bird went:
    21.2 lbs, 1 7/16 spurs, 9 7/8 beard
    And heres the pics!

I keep trying to get a pic of the spurs on here but it wont let me....dang!!
    Last edited by 41 mag fan; 05-03-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Very nice. Hope it tastes as good as it looks!!
    I joined this site with a goal that sounds normal.
    To learn to make a mold and cast a boolit.
    Until you realize I want to make a 1.4 caliber boolit for a spud gun. This is my goal! Feel free to come hate or help me reach it.
    Spud gun Lead Boolit thread

Cast Hunter

Excellent! It's been a long time since I've been on Ft McCoy. Nice area.

Boolit Master

This ones getting mounted in 1/2 strut, so it went into the freezer last night when we made it home. That'll make 3 full mounts of birds when we get it to the taxidermist and get it back.

Wish i could get the image of the spurs to come up, but it keeps showing up of the one of him being a limb hanger

Boolit Master

Now me and my wife are thinking we might need a bigger house, if we keep getting full mounts of birds!!! lol

Boolit Master

Great story and congrats to the bride for her prowess. Give her a pat on the back and a hearty "well done" for me.

Boolit Master

Thanks Keith. She pretty excited and now hooked.

Boolit Master
    Congratulations to the both of you!!
    Kevin

Boolit Master

Awesome. FB