Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone still use the "cheaper" 2 cav Lee molds??

Boolit Bub
    I have some molds from all the major makers, and you have to admit that you always at least get your money's worth from Lee. I mainly buy from Natchez and they seem to have the basement price on them. True, they won't last for ever, but if you take care to keep screws tight , plates lubed and any galling cleaned up with greeny style scrubbers, you'll get alot of bullets out of them. I still use an old 2 cavity 45cal 172gr single lube groove round nose mold that is one of the first molds I ever bought. It's was my favorite IPSC bullets used in club shoots in the 90's and is still my go to plinker now.

Boolit Master
    Bought my first one in the 70s, bought several since, still got em all except the first one. Met a guy I thought needed it worse than me and gave it to him.
    Likes already been said, I never would have got started if not for that first 12 dollar mold.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Have 74 molds and 12 Lee's. They work for me
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    I have a few and they work fine for me.
    9MM and some 35 caliber molds for the 357.

most of the lee's i've bought have been pretty good but the last two I've had problems with the sprue plate not laying flush with the blocks and alloy getting under. going to try 200 rfp 44 in 6 cav they look as if they might be a littke better quality and I shoot gobs of them anyway
    It don't make much sense that commonsense don't make no sense nomore

If you died today would you have lived your life or have you simply existed

Still have the first 150 grain round nose from 1976. Best slug I ever found for my flintlock 9mm dueling pistol.

Boolit Man

I have the Lee 356-120-TC and the 356-102-1R. I would not trade the 120 for anything. It casts beautiful boolits and it is unbelievably accurate in my CZ-75. The 102 I have not had much luck yet in getting it to produce good boolits for my CZ-83.

Boolit Master
    Even though I collect Lymans and RCBS molds, I have some Lee molds too. All of mine are two cavity because I ladle pour.

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on 356-120-TC being a great 9mm boolit.

I think a far, far shorter list would be to ask who did not use a Lee 2 cav.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I started out last year with a couple of 2 cavity as well as three 6 cavity Lee molds. I knew I would use the 6's for more shooting and the doubles were more or less "try before you buy" deals. I poured up a couple hundred with the doubles then ordered the 6 cavity ones for production.

Now when I pour up ingots or blend an alloy, I use the doubles to cast test boolits for hardness checks on the alloy. I throw a dozen of them and always have them on hand when I decide to pour later on. It at least gives me an idea of what to expect on down the road.

I think last count I was up to around a dozen and a half Lee's total.
    Later,
    Mike / TX

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite is the Lee 356-102-2r. I wish they still made the 6-cavity version. I'm parting with a Lyman 356402 because the bullets it produces don't fit for any of the calibers I load.
    Although I like the feel of the Lyman. I also have three Devastator molds in 9mm, 44 mag, and 45 acp. They work great!

Happy casting to all!!!

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    I have about 45 moulds, 1 Accurate Mold, 2 NEI, 2 RCBS, 2 Cap'n Morgan (one donated for site use), 2 Theprofessor (both donated for site use), 4 OHAS, 3 LYMAN, and about 30 LEE single, double, and 6 cavity (and Ranch Dog).

The future inventory will include maybe a few custom (MiHec, NOE, Buffalo, and ?) and mostly LEE.

Not braggin nor complainin, just answerin yur question.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Beekeeper
    I just counted them.
    I have 25 Lee molds and they all work fine.
    Some have taken a little Leementing to get them like I want them but they all work good now.
    Bought my first one 15 years ago on a bet and have been using them ever since.
    For the money they are the best buy around.

beekeeper

Moderator Emeritus

Since the Lee 2 cav. is kind of an entry level mold,
    and nearly every caster has used them,
    there is something kitchy about them even if you can afford
    the expensive custom molds.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

My first mold was a Lee .356 125 2R round nose for 9mm. I have cast somewhere around 500k with this mold. It cast at around .359 so it has been my main boolit for .38SP. After 25 years the sprue plate screw stripped out so I drilled and replaced with a SS bolt and we are back in business. This mold looks like hell but casts like a dream. Then I have bought a few more over the years.

.309 120 RNGC for .30 Carbine/30-30 plinker
    .309 150 FNGC for 30-30
    .356 102 RN for .380
    .356 120 TC for 9MM, .38 (casts also about .359)
    .358 105 SWC for .380, 9MM, and ,38SP
    .358 158 SWC GC for .38/,357
    .358 158 SWCHP GC for .38/.357
    .358 158 RF for .38/.357
    .401 145 SWC for .40S&W/10MM/38-40
    .401 175 TC for .40/10MM/38-40 (actually bought 2)
    .429 240 SWC GC for .44 SP/Mag
    .450 200 RN Conical for BP revolver (casts large enough for .45ACP/Colt)
    .450 200 RNHP Conical (same as above)
    .452 200 SWC for .45ACP/Colt
    .452 200 RN for .45ACP/Colt
    .452 230 RN for .45ACP/Colt
    .452 255 RF for .45 Colt
    .452 300 RFGC for .45 Colt
    .454 Round Ball for BP Revolver (great in the Colt)
    .501 440 RFGC for .500S&W

I also have some non-Lee molds as Lee didn't make what I wanted
    Lyman .410 220 TCGC for .41Mag
    Lyman .225 55 225415 for .223

20 Lee, 2 Lyman. I have 4 more Lee molds I'm dying to pick up and maybe a 5th one. Make that 6, but that is today. I can see several 'nice to have' but not 'need to have' FRank

Its just a tool to do a job. And a cost effective one at that.

Compared to a NOE rg2 or 4 in brass it looks kind of shabby, But you can buy 8 or 10 for the same money.

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    I just bought a couple more. Both are .30cal spitzers listed for the 7.62x39, and both are casting nice, round boolits without sticking in the cavities.

I have many, all work well. I just wish they had more bullet choices. Ranch Dog and Hollow Point Mold service have helped expand the choices.
    By the all-powerful dispensations of Providence, I have been protected beyond all human probability and expectation; for I had four bullets through my coat, and two horses shot under me, yet escaped unhurt, altho' death was levelling my companions on every side.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

I have many lyman, ideal and middlefield, ohaus molds, but i use the lee double cavity mold for 357 with a gas check.
    Remember lee are not cheap, more like affordable, good quality for the working class.

Hope this helps from england

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12