Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Forcing Cone Leading

Boolit Buddy

Talking Forcing Cone Leading

Fired my first home cast bullets today and have to say it was most rewarding.RCBS 44-250-K, sized .430, Javelina lube and 4.5 grains of 700X shot beautifully from my S&W 4" Model 24. The sever leading I have had for years with those darn commercial hardcasts was missing after 100 rounds of the above load!! While the rifling of the revolver was clean and shiny the forcing cone, and only the focing cone did contain a fairly heavy amount of lead. Now I know that 100 rouds is a pretty severe test, and having suffered much much more severe leading with hardcast, I surely can live with this situation and be quite content, but is there something I can do to eliminate even th is minimal amount of leading? ( my alloy was WWs with 2% tin added.)

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Size to larger diameter, preferably just lube the bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 45 2.1
    Size to larger diameter, preferably just lube the bullet.
    I agree! Clean the leading out and see how easy it is to slide the bullet thru the chamber mouth. Most likely you'll need to size the bullets .431 or .432.
    Great to hear of another caster enjoying the art.
    Jim

Boolit Master
    Diddo! size to throat dia. And then if leading returns try water droping. But try sizing alone first. ....Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 4296
    but is there something I can do to eliminate even th is minimal amount of leading? ( my alloy was WWs with 2% tin added.)

They already told you about diameter. But I am going to guess that you are close to throat size. And .... in truth, your base is soft enough to obturate. What is the enemy here is pressure. Without changing diameter, you can change lube to handle the heat from your rate of fire. Or .... go to a slower powder. I hate changing lube, so powder get's my vote.

About 11.5 to 12 grains of 2400 should make you sing "Oh Happy Day". Then again, you might just have some constriction in that forcing cone too considering the pedigree and vintage of that gun. Especially if you haven't shot a lot of jacketed through it. If that turns out to be the case, we can tell you how to deal with that too. But you will need to slug the bore and tell us what you found first.

In the mean time, choose your poison and see what pans out.

Banned
    Well ole Joe doesn't get lead in his forcing on his 45 LC S&W Model 25 and the cylinder throats are .456. No way I'm sizing my bullets to that. The bore is .451 or .452 so I size at .452. No leading. In my opinion the cylinder throat size being larger then the bullet isn't always the cause. Bass may be on to the problem.

Joe

Boolit Master
    I will back up on the warer droping. I was thinking magnum not special. mod 24 not 29!!
    I will wake up now!! All them dang ol smiths look alike to me now adays...LOL Buck
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan