Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You got a bigger one? (cast iron skillet)

MaryB, that's a beauty. My soups are still done in a 10 quart aluminum pot. Half in the refrig and half in freezer.

Shiloh, I didn't know that about "simmer and cast iron".
    Ramar
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

Boolit Master

I season with 10 coats of flax oil, polymerized at 500F between each coat. It won't simmer off.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Get enameled cast iron. My favorite soup/stew pot is a lodge enamel one. http://www.lodgemfg.com/enameled-cas...ch-oven-EC4D33 WalMart even carries it.
    Gonna peruse them MaryB.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    I season with 10 coats of flax oil, polymerized at 500F between each coat. It won't simmer off.
    I'm intrigued. How does it not simmer off??

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Get enameled cast iron. My favorite soup/stew pot is a lodge enamel one. http://www.lodgemfg.com/enameled-cas...ch-oven-EC4D33 WalMart even carries it.
    Been looking at those, a big red Dutch oven may join my collection soon. Maybe a blue covered pan.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiloh View Post
    I'm intrigued. How does it not simmer off??

Shiloh
    Yeah, that's just an interesting approach. Since flax oil is basically just the edible version of linseed oil, it sounds like he's old-style japanning the skillet. . . . I look forward to hearing how it works out, it could be a useful approach to know.

Jim

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramar View Post
    MaryB, that's a beauty. My soups are still done in a 10 quart aluminum pot. Half in the refrig and half in freezer.

Shiloh, I didn't know that about "simmer and cast iron".
    Ramar
    If you make chile and want to simmer the beans tomatoes, bell pepper and what not, it nice to do it in one pan.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

My modest collection of cast iron cookware.

Cast Iron Cookware from 12:00 & going clockwise: Lodge 15 inch/38 cm. skillet. It makes a wonderful roasting pan. Vintage Griswold lid bought at Goodwill for $1.50 American. It will fit either the Combo Cooker or the Double Dutch Oven. Vintage Lodge No. 5 skillet, 8 inch/20.3 cm. bought at Salvation Army for $1.90 American. Lodge 3qt./2.84 liter, 10 inch/25.4 cm. Combo Cooker. The lid does double duty as a skillet. Lodge 5 qt./4.73 liter, 10 inch/25.4 cm. Double Dutch Oven. The lid does double duty as a skillet.

I love cast iron and cooking in cast iron cookware! This is my modest, but ever growing collection of cast iron ...

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

... and a few more ...

My large Dutch Oven was used used for many years in the cook shack of a local logging camp before I got it ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

What can I say? I like collecting "old iron" ... whether it's for cooking or shooting!

Banned

My largest is 13-3/8" with a lid. It is a brute. I have 9 or 10 cast skillets and 5 dutch ovens, 3 with legs.
    You can get new for less then used ones today.

Boolit Master

Thanks for buying Lodge products.
    Made right here in the US of A, Tennessee at that.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

It's not mine but one from the local community, Rose Hill NC. It's used during the NC poultry jubilee. Put on by Nash Johnson, House of Raeford and some others including the town of RoseHill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NCROSfryingpan_gregbrown.jpg   9787669-1309213546-646x485.jpg   teaserbox_4205869426-1.jpg  

I have a square cast iron griddle 14x14 with 1 inch sides it is perfect for canoe camping and big breakfasts. Fry bacon, eggs, then pancakes with ease.

I was pleased to find my wife came to me with a 16" large round fry pan with 2" sides for making chicken. She is a very talented woman and she knows how to use this pan and she does use it well.

Since then we have picked up some odds and ends of pans, her folks, my folks, 2nd hand stores.

I have a little 5" that lives on the back right burner of the stove. This one makes the perfect fried egg sandwich. You can just fit 2 slices of bacon in it if they are cut in half. Cook them then break your eggs into the hot grease.

It leaves a nice brown crispy finish on the egg that nothing else can duplicate.

And is there anything better than a good fried egg sandwich with a couple of slices of bacon for breakfast? If so I have not found it.

Vendor Sponsor

Went to the big Marion County flea market in Bellvue, FL and found a vendor there selling nothing but vintage cast iron from back in the days of the good ore.. Hooked my Son and DIL up with a good starter set of vintage American iron. I had a few pieces stashed at the house for them, I cleaned them up and seasoned them then once in Florida I found them some nice pieces already cleaned up, I ran one pass of Crisco on them at 450 and they are ready to go.. #3 Good Health (Made by Griswold), #4 SBL Griswold, #5 BSR Red Mountain series, #6 Good Health (Made by Griswold), #7 single notch Lodge, #8 early BSR Red Mountain series, #9 SBL Griswold handled griddle, and a Lodge #8 dutch oven with matching Lodge lid... I think I wound up with about $150 in the whole set.

Last edited by DougGuy; 01-25-2017 at 09:12 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

Wow, Super. My love of cast will never end. Carol has the non stick junk of course. Never go near with other then plastic. Harm the stupid pan and it is hell to pay.

Boolit Master
    Ohhhh we have some other collectors on the board I see. Will have to drag mine out for a photo op! I got tired of throwing away teflon pans when the coating gave up so we switched over and haven't looked back. I believe my largest is a #10 at the moment, yall must have some beefy forearms for those big ones.
    My feedback page if you feel inclined to add:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

Thanks Yall!

Vendor Sponsor

Last night I scored a nice old "Sidney" at a great price, this is Wagner before they became Wagner. Don't know which one of these is the one the seller is shipping, they both look pristine. Not bad for 100+yr old iron!

These are every bit as good as the pre-Griswold "ERIE" pans which easily fetch $175-$200 in this condition.

Then today I scored what they call a "Smiley" another very high quality American made piece from the 1920s possibly early 1930s. This one has two very tiny cracks on either side of the handle, I am getting it with intent on preheating it and TiG welding the cracks. This won't restore collector value to the skillet, but it will make it a good user.

Attachment 186213Attachment 186214Attachment 186215Attachment 186216
    Last edited by DougGuy; 01-25-2017 at 10:13 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Thanks for buying Lodge products.
    Made right here in the US of A, Tennessee at that.
    Indeed, but if you are a tourist visiting Pigeon Forge, stay away from the Lodge "outlet" store next to Bud's gun shop. The prices are retail +25% and the staff thinks they are doing you a favor for being there. Spend your vacation money in Buds or the Smokey Mountain Knife Works next door. Wait until you get home to buy Lodge at WalMart for a decent price.

Boolit Master
    Need to throw a tape on the biggest one, not sure the diameter

I have a couple of flat skillets and dutch ovens as well as those skillets. Cast iron is a joy to cook on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast