MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Generic Unique Load for Slugs?

Boolit Mold

Generic Unique Load for Slugs?

Good afternoon from London. I am looking to load some 12g slugs either usng the lyman forster slug or the Lee 7/8 or 1 oz slugs. The problem I have with most of the available load data is that the case and wad combination usually relates to components available only in the US. I have ordered some Cheddite cases and some B&P cases which I believe are made by Fiocchi. I am intending to use one piece plastic cup wads from a company in the UK and over powder cards to adjust the wad column to enable me to get a good roll crimp. Alliant powders such as Unique and Blue Dot are the most readily available in the UK and I am after some starting loads using these powders. I have seen a thread on here where the poster suggested a load of 23grains of Unique for a velocity of 1200FPS with a 1oz slug. The loaded rounds will be fired through an Ithaca 37 Deerslayer and are solely for competition target use. I have been relaoding metallic rifle and pistol cartridges for years and the load data is much easier to come by as the case capacity doesnt vary as it does with a shotgun case/wad combination. I'm after a reasonable generic starting point load using Unique and Blue Dot so that I can start working up accurate loads without generating excessive pressure. Any suggestions and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I just tried 22 grains of Unique with the 1oz. Lee slugs this past weekend. They shot about 3-4 inches high suggesting to me they were running a little slow out the barrel. I will try 23 grains of Unique next. At 22 grains, the recoil was nothing.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Mold

Many thanks.

I have just found another post which suggested a generic load of 35 grains of Blue Dot which sounds reasonable. I would value your opinions.

Have you considered Hogdon Clays? I've used loads with 18 grains and get good results. Recoil is not bad at all. I am going to try 19 grains soon. You would be using about %50 of the Blue Dot by weight, which would be more shots per pound of powder to!
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    If you are looking for higher velocities use Blue Dot. You can run Unique to about 30 grains without worries. Once you get farther alon Unique has a habit of producing vicious pressure skipes without any warning. It can happen with as little as 3 tenths of a grain. So this is my slug or round ball procedure. If 28 grains Unique will not do it then I switch to a slower safer high velocity powder. Blue Dot is a good one.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Man
    I posted that I tried 16-18 grains unique under a claybuster white (waa12?) wad last weekend.

Impact was 6-8 inches high--certainly a good starting point and economical, too.

Use at your own risk....