RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad news from Hornady!!!

Thumbs down Sad news from Hornady!!!

After a call to Hornady today regarding my "m" type balance scale ( that will not hold zero), I was informed that I was out of luck with warranty as they are now OBSOLETE!!! Hornady does not offer a balance type of scale any longer??? All they will be offering are the new and suposidly more "accurate" digital models! Guess I will have to look to RCBS for my powder weighing needs !!!

Boolit Man
    Crazy isn't it? I would(and do) take the good old balance scales over the digital ones any day.

Boolit Master

I wonder why it won't hold zero ?
    My non-magnetic scale holds fine when they stabilize , just not as fast as the magnetic one does...
    I wonder if the magnetic strip fell off or something...either way it should still hold 0.
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

I had my Lyman (built by Ohaus) M scale overhauled and tuned up by Mr. Parker. Yeah, I've had a Dillon D-Terminator scale for a few years and mainly use it to sort bullets/brass. The M is what I set my powder measures with. It is carefully kept in its stowed configuration when I'm not using it.

Wayne
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

Boolit Master
    That is sad news. I do not use digital scales or calipers etc. What do you do when the power is out or the batteries are dead. That's just me others may feel differently.
    Last edited by 44Vaquero; 04-30-2012 at 11:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    I had the same problem with Hornady in the past. It's not a scale but an Apex 3.0. They said they sold all the parts to Lock, Stock, and Barrel. Problem is that store was closed years ago. I sold the press. Haven't bought another Hornady press since.

I have an old Dillon Electronic scale and a RCBS 10-10. The 10-10 has been with me for years and I bought the electronic in the 90s I believe. Both work well.

take care,

r1kk1

Vendor Sponsor

This is a dumb move! It is probably being drivven by some market research or other statistical BS.

Electronic everything is the wave of the future and really most electronic scales ARE more accurate than their mechanical counterparts,,,However.

In a fail safe scenerio what to you do when the batteries are dead.

I highly recommend that you have alternatives.

There are plenty of used mechanical scales out there, hell there are plenty of new ones out there. Get one and hold onto it. That way you're covered

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub

Cool

Not to put too fine a point on it, BUT, NO manufacturer drops items that sell...it might be the economic downturn, or it might be the fact that there are fewer and fewer people are buying reloading components, which might just be a wake-up call to ALL of us in the long view.

EITHER scale type is only as accurate as it's calibration and most balance scales are accurate to within 1 to 2 tenths of a grain and so are some digital scales...IF you buy one with the finest level of precision and accuracy and only to the number of digits it can read to...i.e., 0.1 gr, 0.001 gr, 0.0001 gr etc...and only as useful as the battery life, as already stated.

When batteries go away so will a large part of life as we know it...THINK ABOUT THAT.

I have two balance beam and 6 digital scales...I use the 10-10 for a quick setup and my JEWELERS digital when I want to weigh sort to a high level, because it is much quicker and MUCH more accurate AND repeatable.

One thing I can guarantee and I have tested...NO TWO SCALES, be they balance or digital, unless they are of the analytical variety, will weight the same bullet at the same weight time after time...I have set up BOTH my balance beam scales and 4 digitals and used ONE 50 gram check weight from one of the digitals and NONE of the scales weight it the same TO BEGIN WITH or REPEATEDLY...even after I calibrated the ones I could calibrate.

Some of the digital scales were accurate within 3-5 gr, but wouldn't repeat, some were accurate to 1/10th grain and were repeatable, the "jewelers" type, and the others each were within a specific range listed in the fine print of the makers paperwork.

I DID weigh the check weight on a highly accurate analytical scale at a local lab just for my own edification, so I know within a few THOUSANDTHS of a grain what it weighs.

Scales are one of those "analosity" things...for the most part if you can get within about half a grain, for all intents and purposes - hunting that is - you have nothing to worry about.

NFG - I have a Reading BB Scale that I have had since late 1973. About 20 years ago I bought a set of Lyman Scale Check weights.

Zerroed my BB Scale and then set it to the weight of the check weight - Dead on for each of the check weights. I even did multiples of the Check weights just to verified a wider range. These were dead on too.

Now I must admit that you have to zerro the scale in the same way each time or it will be light 2/10's of a grain. I must start with the larger weight aff the way past the zerro and then bring it back to 0. Adjust the foot until it is on the line and it is zerroed.

If I was going from say 9.9 grains to 10.2 I would take the large weight to 10 and move the small weight back to 0.2. If I was going from 10.2 to 9.8 I would take the large weight to 0 and then back to 5.

The direction of the smaller weight doesn't seem to matter. The large weight always has to go up in weight when I set it. I think it has to do with how it settles into the 'teeth' of the ballance beam.

My RCBS Charge Master normally weights within 1 or 2/10's of a grain hight or low (when re-weighted on my Reading) So I use it to 'Throw Light' and then transfer it to my Reading and trickel it up.

If I weight an object at 100.0 Grains today - If I weight it tomorrow it is still 100.0 grains If I weight it next week - it will still be 100.0 grains.

I have no experience with any other balance beam scale. I did have a Lyman 1200 and it also varied 1 or 2 tenths up or down.
    Big Bore = 45+

Boolit Master

I love my RCBS equipment. While it's true that even they may not be stocking parts for their old 4X4 press, so much of the stuff they've been making for years is still current so parts are there. And they won't let you pay for parts, either.

No batteries doesn't have to mean the end of the world you know. A lot of people live in the sticks (long ways to the dang store) or it could be New Years Eve.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    "...call to Hornady today regarding my "m" type balance scale ( that will not hold zero), "

I have no direct experience with that model scale but failure of a beam scale to "hold zero" is nearly physically impossible unless it's damaged. Check to see if the pivot bar is straight and if your pivot knives or V bearings are dirty or damaged. Clean the V bearings with a dampened tooth pick, clean the knife edges with a damp face tissue - the knives and bearings need to be dry, use no oil. Use a magnifying glass to see if you have any small burrs on the knives; if there are any you can use a fine grit ceramic pocket knife sharpening stone to carefully remove them.

Last resort, replace it with another beam scale. Anything by Ohaus is great (RCBS and Dillon), the Lymans are very good and Redding had a truly excellant beam scale last I looked.
    Last edited by 1hole; 05-01-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Banned

Of all the brands of equipment I have, RCBS is my go-to for accurate weighing. I have two RCBS 5-0-5 scales that have outlived all the fad electronic junk.

I think the reason that electronic stuff is getting more popular is price point. A friend of mine, who has actually shopped "electronics row" in Seoul, Korea in person before, explained the price thing when I was cussing an inoperative touch button on one of my window air conditioners. He said that the remote control and the boards/buttons/display altogether cost less than a multi-position electro-mechanical switch and a temperature-control potentiometer. Hard to imagine that all that electronics is cheaper than a couple of control switches, but it is. I'm sure a little electronic scale is a fraction of the manufacturing cost of a real, mechanical, agate-bearing beam scale and all it's related parts.

Gear

I have the Hornady GS-1500 and a Lee beam scale both seem dead on so if I have a doubt I just check one against the other. Hornady is small compact and dead accurate for powder measure as well as really inexpensive.

Boolit Master
    "Hard to imagine that all that electronics is cheaper than a couple of control switches, but it is. I'm sure a little electronic scale is a fraction of the manufacturing cost of a real, mechanical, agate-bearing beam scale and all it's related parts."

Yeah, that's why it astonishes me that so many people get in line and bend over at the cash register to buy digital scales and auto-powder dumpsters. I can understand the sellers charging what ever the market will bear tho. The vast difference in profit is probably what motivated Hornady to drop their beam scale.

Boolit Master
    Hornady does not really have a lifetime warranty. They just discontinue stuff and they are off the hook. It's what they do.

Boolit Master

blaser.306
    On the Hornady and Pacific M scales they have two screws holding two chrome looking small spools that support the knife like edge of the beam. You might try loosening these screws and turning the spools to a new position so the knife like edge on the beam has a new place to pivot. My Pacific M had a problem developing like yours and that's what I did and it works fine now.

Ken

Boolit Master
    I qwn a digital scale and never want another. Its an expensive paper weight. My Lyman beam type has never let me down.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Mold

digital verses beam ...

Try weighing a small piece of paper (1/4" square) and see how sensitive your electronic scale is.
    Unless it can read out to hundredths of a grain you wont see any weight.
    However ... even the cheapest balance type scale will respond to that tiny piece of paper.

What does this mean?
    I dont really know if it is relevant but the digital scales just dont seem to be as sensitive to very small weights.

Willee

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Progress is a terrible thing.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master
    Progress may or may not be a terrible thing, however I can choose whether to accept it or not.

For a while, I used an electronic scale but found that it's not compatible the way I reload, so it's used only to weigh boolits.