MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Midway USA Shipping Charges

Midway USA Shipping Charges

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Midway has gone into the business of making money off of shipping. I started to order 2 screwdriver bits, the notched ones for the Ruger Blackhawk Base Pin Latch. No biggie, I notched a screwdriver a while back but now I cant find it. I was gonna get these and keep in my box of bits. Thats all I needed, I was gonna pay the $3 extra and forget it.
    They wanted $12.06 to ship them. They will fit in a thimble much less an envelope. I was given no options other than UPS and if I was in a hurry I could pay up to $60.28 for next day air. Good Grief!!! I used their customer service chat to see if it was a mistake................nope. I just got the standard shipping is calculated on size and weight explanation. DANG. I went out and notched another screwdriver, job done.

I sent smiling, we appreciate your business Larry an email complaining, I am curious to see if I hear from him.
    WE DONT RENT PIGS!!!

Banned

They want you to order more stuff, make the shipping worthwhile, ya know? None of the big outfits want to mess with you if you're going to order something that only nets them $6 or so. Never mind the hundreds or even thousands you may have spent with them in the past.

Order small stuff like that from Brownell's next time, I ordered a single spring pack from them a year or two ago and I think it was a minimum of $5 for the shipping/handling.

Gear

Yeah, I should have used Brownells in the first place but I order so much from Midway its sort
    of a habit. I told Smiling Larry I would be shopping around for reloading supplies from now on.

Got an email from Grafs, free shipping on my next order, it will be pretty big.

Swamprat
    WE DONT RENT PIGS!!!

Banned

I have a rather loose allegiance to any single outfit. They all do things I like and things I don't, so I use the one that fits my product and shipping needs best at the time. Graf's, Natchez, Midsouth, and Powder Valley are good places too. I only shop Cabelas and Bass Pro in person.

Gear

Boolit Master
    I used to buy from Midsouth back in the 70s and liked them then. Comparing their pricing to Midway I still like them. The difference betweem them and Midway is a bit over 10% on Lee and RCBS, I just sent in an order for around $100 and the price difference just about paid the shipping.

Boolit Master

I agree that they all have their good and bad points, but I also agree Midway shipping is getting ridiculous.

Last week I ordered their tactical rifle case that was on sale from $34.99 to $19.99; a great deal. I added a $9.80 bag of shotshell wads I have been wanting to try.

Grand total? $46.00!

Boolit Buddy
    swamprat, 5/1/12

I have also been put off by Midway's shipping prices. A couple of weeks ago I ordered two soft sided rifle cases. Their shipping quote for regular USPS (not next day) was $55. I asked the customer rep if that was a mistake and she says that was the price. I canceled the order and called Midsouthshooters supply and ordered two soft sided cases and shipping was $22. So Midway charges two and a half tiimes what its competitors charge for shipping. So long Midway.

best wishes- oldandslow

Boolit Master

Oh ya, Smilin', "thanks for your business", Larry. In the last 10 years I've had three big issues with them. Won't go into details but clearly their mistakes. Very difficult to get one of the service reps or IT techs to fully understand anything outside a very narrow job description and that I believe is the price paid for getting so big so fast. I hold nothing against Potterfield as a business man but he probably doesn't realize or remember the whole reason he was able to succeed was precisely because of small order normal shooters and reloaders. I also believe he was desperately attempting to compete with and maybe outcompete Cabela's and Brownell's so used a business model similar to Cabela's. Of course I'm sure Cabela's lost a lot of that same small order normal shooter and reloader business long ago- for all the same reasons. The rise in shipping costs is fairly easy to understand- increases by USPS and the parcel carriers AND he has to pay for his automated state of the art order processing/shipping system. Also, I recently noticed (and confirmed) a clear instance of price gouging of a single item by Midway but hey, they can charge whatever they like. I'll avoid any more sour grapes and leave it at that. "thanks for letting us give you the business"

Have used and continue to use Graf, Midsouth and Brownell's more and more.

Boolit Master
    Today I ordered what would fit in half a shoe box, $14.99. It appears his new business model makes money all the way out the door. I have spent a lot of my hard earned there. Next time I will go a little slower and look into others more. Gtek

Boolit Master
    Quoted from Geargnasher
    I only shop Cabelas and Bass Pro in person.
    Wow, what's iy like to shop in person? Dennis

Boolit Master
    Minimum orders from Midway should total $50 or more to avoid the high shipping costs. I talk to them on the phone like I would anyone else, they always get my orders to me and correct any mistakes just fine. The number is toll free for a reason, guys!

My supplier sent out notices saying that UPS/Fed x were raising their rates to compensate for the cost of fuel. Makes sense to me as these trucks only get 6 MPG. But dang it hurts! I just had a package shiped to LA. It weighed a whopping 6 pounds and freight was $15.50.
    I would like a little lube with my OBAMA CARE!

Banned

I worked at a large company that ships a semi trailer load every day through UPS. I will tell you, ALL of the companies are making money on you from shipping. Whwn I was there, I had to ship a few items. I wanted to see the differance of what I would have to pay. So I went to a UPS hub and had them run a qoute for me on a rifle I had to ship. It came to $47 and some cents. I went to work the next day and shipped it there. $12 and change. I know Midway ships more that we did and they probaly get a better rate than we did.

It sucks, but if you want an item you are going to have to pay for it. One way or another.

Boolit Master
    I try to buy from Graf and Sons. Internet orders no matter what you buy are shipped for $5.95. That being said, UPS charges are way up. I just sent a pistol {I mean machined parts} from Calif. to AZ and it was $34.00 for a 3 pound package insured for $700.00. Two years ago they charged $14.00 for the same package. Obama strikes again!! Rod

I know it hurts. My V8 truck gets 15mpg and i have to drive 50 miles RT. at $4.12 a gal. and 2-3 hours of time the $14. Gouge in shipping seem to ease the Shaft we feel.

Forgot about the 8.75 in tax savings
    High Hook

Boolit Master

To throw another pice of wood in the fire ! Most all companies who do a certian amount of busness with UPS not sure about FED X get a kick back check based on there precentage of shipping done with them . im sure with MIDWAY it would be a tidy sum .

A couple of years ago I actually called Larry and got him on the phone to copplain about the shipping charges. He told me they were working on a complicated program that included shipping with USPS. Whose rates are reasonable. For a while the rates did drop and USPS was a choice, now USPS is no longer a choice and the high rates are back. He must have figured out how much he was losing by not screwing us on shipping.

Boolit Master
    I also found Midway's "shipping costs" to be too high and no longer do business with them. If you order items from Cabelas, the shipping is free to any Cabelas store that is close to you for pick up. Likewise, you can find some shooting books etc. on Amazon and get free shipping.

Best regards,

CJR

Boolit Man
    There are a lot of little things that I would like to buy but I don't because the shipping is to high. I can't see paying $8 to buy a $10 dollar item.

Boolit Master

Can't remember which mail order company it was, but when calculating shipping, I elected to have it shipped to a business address (where I worked part-time). It was substancially cheaper than residential deliver. (via UPS)

If given the option, try it next time, you may save some money...
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast