WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Reaming a chamber?

Reaming a chamber?

Hope this is the right spot for this!

I picked up a Pedersoli sharps in a trade awhile back and I have just started shooting it. It has a 34" octagon to round barrel and left the factory as a 50-70. The previous owner reamed the chamber to 50-90. the chamber is very tight up by the throat and it is very difficult to get a round to go all the way into the chamber. I have used bullets as cast and sized to .512, none will fit without running them back into the full length sizing die with the decapping pin removed after being loaded. I imagine that this is not coducive to accuracy. It's not, I cannot get it to group better that 6-8 " at 200yds.

There is a visible narrowing/ridge in the chamber near the throat and I believe that whoever reamed the chamber did not quite finish the job.

I am thinking about renting a reamer and trying to correct this issue, having never done this: Is reaming a chamber as simple as it appears to be?

I would like to try the reamer first and then will consider rebarreling as a next step, however I would have a gunsmith perform that task.

Thanks, Dan

sounds like the longer reamer didn't clean up the end of the original chamber

is the ring to one side or all the way around?

The part of the chamber that you are talking about would be the case neck area? You may be able (should be) to relieve this by hand with a chucking reamer. So long as things are straight to begin with, it should remain so.

Nanuk's comment about the mini shoulder may well have resulted from the 50-90 reamer just being tight (= too small) as you have mentioned. Depending whether you want to go that large at all, it may clean up when you open the neck up. Reduced at any rate.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    It sounds to me like a 50-90 roughing reamer was used and the finish reamer operation was forgotten or skipped. Or for some reason the person who did or had this done wanted a tight neck. Have you "slugged" the barrel? Perhaps your .512 boolits are too big. Any reamer inserted into a chamber should be piloted. A chucking reamer is a real good way to "bubba" the barrel.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison