MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky

Thread: Boolit age hardening question

Boolit Buddy

Boolit age hardening question

Is it practical to make up boolits with the idea of long-term storage, or will age harden/soften them to the point of being "out of spec" for the intended use? Likewise, can ammo loaded with cast boolits be stored long term?

Boolit Master

If you are relying on water or oven hardening, age softening will be an issue. Air cooled, not so much, a very small margin of hardness will stand up for the difference.

The lube question is much harder. There is lube migration, oxidation, and drying issues to consider. I don't know what to recommend there.

HF
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Banned

oxygen and heat are their enemy.
    it's also the enemy of powder,and brass.

Banned

Age-softening of antimonial alloys that have been heat-treated or water quenched beyond their air-quench hardness is measured in years and only a few Brinell points. If you shoot the boolits within five years it will be of no concern.

Gear

Age hardening of alloy bullet is a reality, but it does not cause bullets to harden "out of spec for their intended use" as you ask in your post. The issue is interesting, but of little or no consequence in real world shooting.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks!

I appreciate the replies, as always. If we can safely put boolit hardness concerns to rest, and mauntain cool/dry/low oxygen storage, such as zip-loc or ammo can, can lube survive 5-year storage? Could a "dry" lube like Alox or Moly be used alone to survive temp/oxygen changes, or do you still need a "wet" lube?

If this question needs a new thread, feel free to say so!

Boolit Grand Master
    Just checked some boolits cast six or severn years ago. 311299 that are two small.
    One could dig an thumbnail in easily right after casting. Ten days later, you couldn't. Still can't.
    In fact, they seem even harder. This is not a scientific study by any means at all. Just an observation.

I don't know what hardness they were as cast, 10 days later, or now.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Master

I keep my Cast Boolits in G.I. cans, no external oxygen or humidity. I keep them in the basement where it is cool and thus no melting of the lube. I have some that have been in storage for 10 years or more. That shoot just as good as the day I stored them.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by famdoc2892 View Post
    Is it practical to make up boolits with the idea of long-term storage, or will age harden/soften them to the point of being "out of spec" for the intended use? Likewise, can ammo loaded with cast boolits be stored long term?
    Most assuredly. Please see:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=152007
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford