Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lemi Shine

Boolit Buddy

Question Lemi Shine

hi,
    I know you guys told me but I 4 got,can't find post, sorry old and dumb

I should mix a 9mm case full of Lemi Shine into water but how much was that in a gal or in the tumbler I have a RCBS sidewinder it holds about a have a gal

I was going to do the 9mm of Lemi Shine a squirt of dawn a bunch of SS pins cover brass and other stuff with water (about 1/2gal)
    is that a good mix ??? someone said less is better with the Lemi Shine

I hope you all did some shooting this weekend, I did and I don't know if I'm happier with the shooting or that I have brass to try the Lemi Shine with hehe I know you understand the old lady just looked at me funny when I said I was happy to have dirty brass to play with hehe

thanks
    Rick

Boolit Master

Rick - Your measure of Lemi Shine sounds about right. I think my instructions say 1 gal of water and a little (1 TBSP) of soap. Stuff sure works well, no ??? enjoy Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by captaint View Post
    Rick - Your measure of Lemi Shine sounds about right. I think my instructions say 1 gal of water and a little (1 TBSP) of soap. Stuff sure works well, no ??? enjoy Mike
    I don't know Mike I have not tried yet

Rick

In Remembrance
    The thing about Lemi-Shine is that it's affects will vary to some degree depending on the quality of the water. Me I have well water and is rather hard water so I mix just a bit more than some other folks do.

I will give you this warning though, NEVER empty the contents out in direct sunlight without a pair of good sunglasses on, boy does that stuff shine.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Buddy
    I'm on well water also, my water will turn the brass BLACK I use distilled water BUT I want to try my well water with lemi shine to see if that "fixes" my water I just have not tested yet that $.88gal does add up (ok I'm cheap) the less $$$ I give to wall mart the better

Rick

Banned

the citric acid will act like salt does in water.
    in fact some soft water systems now use citric acid.
    i use about 3 tbs to a half gallon of hot water.
    be careful with how much dish soap you add to the mix,especially when adding it to the shaker.
    remember the brady bunch episode when one of the kids tried to do the laundry?
    my tumbler seals tight with a gasket on the lid, somehow soap suds didn't read the watertight part in the brochure.
    i now clean the brass in a plastic container by hand then finish off in the tumbler media.
    or just air dry if i need to full length size.
    anhydrous lanolin case lube is not cut by water. so it gets tumbeled after sizing.

don't leave the cases in the solution for hours it will affect the zinc in the cases.

Banned

Sounds right to me. I use 1 teaspoon pure citric acid and a "squirt" of Lemon Joy per gallon, seems to be plenty, but I use mineral-free cached rainwater, that makes a HUGE difference vs. hard/rusty/sulfur well water

Gear

Boolit Buddy
    WOW THIS IS THE SHIZ I ran the RCBS a few hours and as nice or nicer then with what I was using and cost way less with stuff I can get any place

I'll see if I can do photos

Rick

Boolit Grand Master

I am too cheap to buy a water-tight tumbler so I just use a gallon plastic jar with a lid. I put the brass in the container run some very hot water in to about double the height of the brass, a little dish soap, put the lid on and shake vigoriously for a minute, drain, rinse with hot water. Then I add the Lemishine and shake again, let stand for a couple minutes, shake again. If it looks clean I dump the water and rinse with cold water and put in the sun to dry.
    This works good enough for me. If I think the brass could be brighter I will put it in the tumbler with corn cob and polish.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Use plastic one gallon++ pickle plastic jars having wide screw tops from fast food joints. Free for the asking at most places. Tape the top on, making sure they won't unscrew after loading, and tumble dry some comforters with the jug(s) hidden within at a COMMERCIAL laundry place. Don't need a tumble machine at home, really, unless the case quantities are small. ... felix
    felix

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Use plastic one gallon++ pickle plastic jars having wide screw tops from fast food joints. Free for the asking at most places. Tape the top on, making sure they won't unscrew after loading, and tumble dry some comforters with the jug(s) hidden within at a COMMERCIAL laundry place. Don't need a tumble machine at home, really, unless the case quantities are small. ... felix
    That's the coolest idea I've heard of in years! You're talking the citric acid solution and SS media, right? I'll bet you want to make certain the jugs are pretty full of liquid. I might investigate "shimming" a liquid-tight container with layers of egg-crate foam such that it will fit snugly in my home dryer with a slight eccentric (maybe only an inch off-center) now that you've given me the idea. If I suddenly disappear from the forum it's probably because my wife has commited justifiable homicide

Gear

If your not using some Lemishine in your final rinse water, you've got a pleasant surprise coming when you do so.
    There is some ammo and more ammo. There is never enough ammo!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadillo View Post
    If your not using some Lemishine in your final rinse water, you've got a pleasant surprise coming when you do so.
    how much do you put into the rinse water???

Rick

Ian, I have never used the acid solutions to do any of this. Dog liquid shampoo soap makes water typically at ph 7.2. Human soap is set to ph 7.4 ideally. However, you can adjust any soap when dissolved to 7.0, and in my opinion this should be done in the final rinse water for sure. Use MONO-potassium/sodium-phosphate to lower; TRI-potassium/sodium phosphate to raise. MUST have a kit to verify, or better yet, go to a swimming pool place, or college, to have them test and you adjust the water on the spot. Talking 1/4 teaspoon, or less, of the selected phosphate per iteration. Only chemical houses, or colleges, will have these lab grade phosphate chemicals. These phosphate chemicals are VERY powerful ph equalizers. In other words, once the ph is set, adding another pint of water, or just- now-cleaned cases, will have NO effect on the ph of the system. The cases should not change in color after a rinse in such a water bath. Of course, you can do a final, final rinse in distilled water. Save the phosphate water for the next batch. ... felix

Better yet, take several small batches of really dirty cases to your local high school. Tell the teacher what you want done, and why, of course. Let him guide the students and have them take notes like a professional lab person would do. You should NOT be present. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 04-30-2012 at 11:09 PM.
    felix

Banned

i actually use lemishine in my dish washer...
    if i don't the calcium build up will ruin it in about 2-3 months.

Make sure your dishwasher soap has about 7 or 8 percent elemental phosphorous. Play games with what you have by adding the two ingredients as suggested above. Measure ph of the soap as from the box. Maintain that ph to start with when adding the phosphates. No more calcium/magnesium/iron problems thereafter. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Make sure your dishwasher soap has about 7 or 8 percent elemental phosphorous. Play games with what you have by adding the two ingredients as suggested above. Measure ph of the soap as from the box. Maintain that ph to start with when adding the phosphates. No more calcium/magnesium/iron problems thereafter. ... felix
    WHAT ARE YOU SAYING ???? (hehe)

Boolit Buddy
    Brass that was cleaned before shooting

same brass after Lemi shine SS pins and Dawn,they are a little cleaner and a little more shiny then with the RCBS stuff BUT I only tumbled about 3 hours and the RCBS stuff I wold do 8-12 hours

Rick

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RACWIN375 View Post
    WHAT ARE YOU SAYING ???? (hehe)
    i know what he's talking about...
    when we make the lemishine baths we are making a weak citric acid of about 3-5%
    when we use vinegar we need to add salt to it to make a weak acetic acid of about 3%
    which of course needs to be neutralized.
    the tri-phosphor and mono phosphor make a weak solution of thier own based on what ph we start with only it's an acid that works in the neutral ph range.
    instead of on the high or low end of the scale.

Boolit Buddy
    OK
    you do know I was joking with him getting so technical on us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast