Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not wadcutters for .45 Colt?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    You will not find 45 WC's in Lee's stable, but all the custom mold makers have them in pretty much all the popular cals.

Just do a search for the websites and read on. NOE has them last time I looked.

banger

The 452389 mentioned above is the boolit in my avatar. The target is offhand at 50' using 20 gr 4227 in a flat-top small-frame Blachawk convertible with the 45 Colt cylinder I reamed to 452". I have it in a 4-cav and had a 2-cav which I gave to another member here. It is truly one of my most-favored molds I own in 45 caliber. Works in 45 ACP as well.....
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I have an old Lyman 454-309 235 gr WC mold. That has seen a ton of use over the last 40 years. Very accurate in an old Blackhawk.

Boolit Grand Master

If I wanted a full wadcutter for the .45 Colt, this what I would get:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-225W-D.png

FWIW
    Dale53

Moderator Emeritus

This should be close to a record. 16 days short of 9 years between posts.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

As Dale did head over to accurate molds.com and Tom will fix you up with what ever your heart desires if you don't see it tell him what you want and he'll make it. He is quick his molds are a pleasure to cast with and did I say he is quick and a true one off custom mold maker and he is quick

Dale, I just ordered some Saeco # 453 bullets to try in my 625. Do you think the bevel base in Tom@Accurate molds wadcutter would make much difference?

Boolit Grand Master

I beleive saeco has a 225 grn wadcutter mould in 45 cal. I have used the 225 grn wadcutter in my 625, several kimper 1911s and para ordanaces. The bullet works great in the 625 and in the 1911s and semi autos overall length is critical to feeding but in a decent 1911 the do feed reliably. I used these for light target loads and also had a bowling pin load for the 1911s. The larger flat face really transfered energy to pins. It also cut very nice full sized holes in paper targets. They do work and work well finding the mould can be tricky and saecos are expensive. Maybe with enough calls to Lee asking one could be added to their line up.

Country Gent,

I also would like to use the Saeco cast wadcutters in a couple of my 1911's. Do you recall what the C.O.A.L. was for your 45ACP with them?. Did you have to do anything to the feed ramp on the 1911 to get them to feed reliably?

Thanks,

Boolit Grand Master

I dont recall what the overall length was but due to nose shape it was much shorter than the round balls overall length. My 1911s fed it with out modifications very well. If I remeber (This was 20 + years ago) I think they were lightly crimped on the front band close to the edge. My Kimbers and paras all fed this bullet good. My 3" ultra kimber shines with it. Loads are lighter due to so much bullet in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I dont recall what the overall length was but due to nose shape it was much shorter than the round balls overall length. My 1911s fed it with out modifications very well. If I remeber (This was 20 + years ago) I think they were lightly crimped on the front band close to the edge. My Kimbers and paras all fed this bullet good. My 3" ultra kimber shines with it. Loads are lighter due to so much bullet in the case.
    Thanks kindly for the info. I plan on using this bullet in my 625 as well as Springfield R/O out to 25 yds., maybe a little more depending on accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a very light load worked up with bullseye at around 600-650 for plinking in my 625 that was very accurate. But it wouldnt function the 5" kimbers. I was going to drop a lighter spring in one to test and see what they did there but never got around to it. The 18 lb springs were to much for that load. If you go this route with the light loading strictly for target use cast them on the softer side. Let me know how they work for you.

Inspired by the .455 Webley Manstopper...
    To shoot in an Army 1909, had a Lyman 450229 hollow base modified in the early eighties to replace the round nose with a straight sided cylinder and extra grooves cut in the base pin for adjustable length.
    Works very well when loaded hollow forwards despite the less the perfect lathe work on the mold modification.
    At fifty yards it did fine rolling an armadillo and sounded about like somebody whacked a tarp with a canoe paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    I had a very light load worked up with bullseye at around 600-650 for plinking in my 625 that was very accurate. But it wouldnt function the 5" kimbers. I was going to drop a lighter spring in one to test and see what they did there but never got around to it. The 18 lb springs were to much for that load. If you go this route with the light loading strictly for target use cast them on the softer side. Let me know how they work for you.
    I will, it will be a week or so before I receive the bullets from Montana Bullet Works. I had a 625JM that I pulled the 4" barrel and replaced with a 5" barrel. Like a dummy, I traded it off. As I recall it shot some pretty decent groups with the Saeco wadcutter and a Fastfire II mounted on it. These eyes ain't what they used to be.

Boolit Grand Master
    Either Ideal or Lyman made a WC for both .45 Colt and .45 ACP.
    Long out of production for sure.

Siloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Ural Driver View Post
    That`s the mold, although mine is a 2 cavity.Robert

Boolit Mold

Does Lee still make that mold?

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I have a Lee 235 gr button nose WC that is a copy of the Lyman mold long out of production. I am away from my literature now but it is a good 25 yd grouper from my 45. Gianni
    I was just at the Lee website and they didn't list a mold like that under 45 I'll keep looking I guess. I have this strange idea..

Boolit Master

That you opened a post from long ago????

My solution for .45 Colt D/A shooting was to alter Lyman #450229 to a wadcutter nose and then load it backwards with the hollow base forwards. That way the boolit with a long bearing length wasn't too heavy, the powder space was greatly reduced and armadillos sounded like wet blankets hit with a baseball bat.

Boolit Master
    I love the design of the flying trashcans. They can be loaded to target or recreational shooting levels for pure enjoyment but provide enough powder space in the cases to allow for stiffer hunting or carry powder charges. Given this interest in these designs I would love to have a pair of Accurate's molds for their 45-230U design and also their 45-250W pattern. The lighter one should hit to the sights of the family of 1917 revolvers we have while the heavier boolit would be a more natural fit for the 45 Colt cartridge. Now I just have to find some more retirement work to allow the purchase of these molds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast