Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why not wadcutters for .45 Colt?

Boolit Master

Why not wadcutters for .45 Colt?

My revolver shooting is mostly .357/.38spl or .45 Colt. My .357s and .38s get feed mostly wadcutters, either 358091 or 358087. I really like the fact the wadcutters take up some of the case volume in these cavernous old black powder based cases (I know .357 was not a BP case, but it is 0.100" even more cavernous than its parent). I rarely load slow powders to top velocities, generally I run .38s around 800 fps, .357s around 1100, and .45 Colt about 1000. So I use some of the fast powders, but mostly Unique, Herco, Power Pistol. These give smaller velocity SDEVs when the powder charge is given less room to roam.

I also like the full caliber holes wadcutters make in targets, critters and vermon.

There seems to be lots of wadcutter moulds for .357, a few for .429 and none for .45. The closest I have come is 454424 SWC and Lee .45 300 RF (has a meplat about the same as 454424). Why is .45 Colt left out of the wadcutter arena?
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master
    SOS,

If you were what your name implies you would realize that a 454424 is a boat tail wadcutter. Please don't tell me that you have been shooting them backwards all this time.

Boolit Master

You're right!

I'll turn the gun around....No wait! I'll turn the boolit around...but then with the boolit going backwards, will I be unshooting??? I don't want an unshootable gun...Hmm.. let my htink about htis...

Boolit Grand Master

Wad cutter bullets are a fairly recent invention that have pretty much the sole function of making a paper target easy to score. When targets were scored if the line is cut it is in the wad cutter made points for the serious target shooter. By that time The 45 Colt round was not considered a target round and very little was done in designing target bullets for the gun. The bullet you are looking for would be a copy of the old Ideal Gallery special in 45 instead of 44. This was a 110 gran bullet with a deep hollow base and an almost flat nose. Not a collar button, but a really good working wadcutter style. This was produced around 1895 or so. By the time real wadcutters came out , say 1920 or so, the 45 Colt was established as a military/man stopper round and the 38's and the 44's were the target pistols. By the 1940's the 38 and the 45 auto were the guns to use and so they got all the development. It was not possible to use a full wadcutter in the ACP so the various semi wadcutters got all the play in the 45 caliber. I have a 185 semi wadcutter ideal mould marked Al Dineen Special and it is one of the most accurate 45 bullets I have ever used, but a semi auto has to be set up just so to get it to work.

Now to the problem at hand, why not take a Lee 185 semi wadcutter mould for the 45 acp and simply have the nose section turned to a flat full wadcutter bore ride nose of say 220 grains. (just guessing) It shouldn't take that much work and might just be what you need. Since you are not getting fancy you could either make a one shot reamer or just center the blocks and use a boring bar to make it up. BUCKSHOT WHERE ARE YOU!!!

Moderator Emeritus

I have a Lee 235 gr button nose WC that is a copy of the Lyman mold long out of production. I am away from my literature now but it is a good 25 yd grouper from my 45. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

There are .45 wadcutters out there. I own moulds for 2 or 3 of them. They shoot quite well and they hit like a ton of bricks!
    Glen

Boolit Grand Master

NEI has a couple of wadcutters:
    .451-185-WC and .451-225-BBWC

http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html

Dale53

Boolit Grand Master
    One of my sister's PPC partners had a Model 25-5 built out with slab barrel and Aristocrat sight rib for 45 Colt WC shooting. He cast with an unknown-make mold, solid base WC's about 225-230 grains, and ran them about 750 FPS. He concluded after a couple seasons that recoil fatigue defeated the purpose of the wider bullet (line cutting, as above). If I see him, I try to talk him out of it. He avoids me.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Saeco #453

Has anyone mentioned the Saeco #453? I have recently acquired one and it is quite accurate and sure seems to rock raccoon and porcupine size vermin.

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    I have a Modern Bond "B-454" (can be seen at the Castpics site) an odd looking sort of a wadcutter..It's leased out to a NW Nevada pistolero until NCBS '07.. Then I collect lease payments in boolits and start having fun,(Hopefully) ..This fine fella has been known to share the fruits of his labors,with little or no compensation,so if the products have been doing decent work for him,perhaps he will listen to your plea(s) once he's finished cavorting at BRGS.. Onceabull
    "The Eagle is no flycatcher"

Boolit Master

45 colt wadcutter's

I too have a saeco #453 4 cavity wadcutter mold for my 45 's .it's a good looking bullet and when the weather gets better I`ll see how accrate it is. I `am thinking of getting a mold from Veral Smith, one of his Ogival wadcutter molds. it weighs @260gr. has a short ogive, the reason for this is that you have some of the bullet extending out of the case giving you more room for powder. I would like to see a group buy on one of these design's maybe one with a gc and one a plain base. what do you think.?

Boolit Buddy
    Have a look at Lyman #454309.
    Does well.
    Jim
    Cast boolets are the true and rightious path to shooting bliss.

Boolit Master

Two Lyman's

The boolit on the left is a Lyman 452389 @ 185 grains, and on the right is a Lyman 454309 @ 235 grains. Both fell out of their molds at .457. I haven't done much testing with the 185 grainer, but the 454309 is a real corker.
    I purchased both of these from Ebay before mold prices went sky high.

Ken

In Remebrance

I think there is a Lee 45 wadcutter on Ebay right now. Of course it WILL be undersize...

Banned

I had a lbt wad cutter mold and shot it a little in ppc matches out of a 25. I never did get it to shoot that well (maybe 2 inch at 25) I did some testing between it and a round nosed bullet that shot one inch groups but made a smaller hole in the target and hands down the more accurate bullet more then made up for the larger cleaner hole. Now when i shoot any gun in ppc i shoot the most accurate load that will reliably funtion in the gun. Both my .38 ppc clark made gun and my sti trojan 9mm that ive been using lately shoot there best with jacketed hornady tap bullets and that what i use. You guys will have to crucify me for using jacketed in them but that bullet just plain shoots. I do do all my practicing with cast though. I figure for the 2 or 300 i use in a day of competition the cost is worth it. Another thing a full wadcutter really blows at is fast reloads in a revolver. I know someone will pipe up and say that you have all the time in the world in ppc shooting to reload and its probably true. But i find that the smoother i am with a reload the smoother i recover and the calmer i stay on the line and it drastically improves my scores.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys

Thanks for the info. I didn't know there were any Lyman .45 WCs out there. I'll keep and eye open and hope to catch one someday. I doubt I'll invest in and NEI or even Saeco, new at least. But I will experiment working up some loads with 454424 in the boat tail wadcutter orientation.

Banned

If I still owned .45 Colts, I would have a couple wadcutter molds from Tom/Accurate. He has some good examples in his catalog.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by BustemAgain View Post
    Has anyone mentioned the Saeco #453? I have recently acquired one and it is quite accurate and sure seems to rock raccoon and porcupine size vermin.

Got 1 of these too, `flying trashcan` describes it.Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Got 1 of these too, `flying trashcan` describes it.Robert
    Is this the one?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/64...rain-wadcutter
    NRA Benefactor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast