MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I cast My Own Boolits?

Boolit Master

Should I cast My Own Boolits?

About 3 pages long.
    Should I Cast Boolits (bullets)?

If you shoot a lot, you have noticed the price of ammunition and reloading components have risen over the last few years. Part of the reason is the demand for lead on the world market. What I would like to do in this article is put together the cost of acquiring the equipment to cast bullets and balance those costs over three years to see if it is feasible for you to get into casting your own bullets. I chose three years to recoup your costs because that is a rule of thumb for investment if you are in business.
    I will look at two scenarios for the equipment. The first will be smaller equipment meant for those that probably shoot for recreation and the fun of it. The second scenario will be for some one that is considering competition or has a heavy, heavy appetite to shoot.
    Let me first explain a little about casting bullets. In the simplest definition casting a bullet is simply pouring molten lead into a mold, allowing it to cool and extracting the bullet from the mold. After the bullet is extracted two things need to happen before it can be loaded and fired from a firearm. The bullet must be sized or at least confirmed to be of the proper size to “fit” the bore of the firearm. Most all cast bullets are sized but there are some molds that are classified as “shoot as cast”. The second thing that needs to be done to the bullet is to be “lubricated”. The lubricant applied to the bullet is actually a seal that prevents the hot gases of the ignited powder from escaping around the bullet and not propelling the bullet down the barrel. A by product of the gases escaping around the bullet is that the hot gases will melt the bullet and that molten lead will stick to the bore of the firearm. This is known as “leading” and it is never a good thing.
    Lubricant can be applied in two ways. One is called tumble lubing where the cast bullet is physically in contact with the lubricant and a coat sticks to the cast bullet. This can be done by rolling the bullets around in a pan that has some of the lubricant in the bottom or standing all the bullets on their base in a pan and pouring the lube into the pan until the lubricant reaches a certain height on the bullet.
    The second way to apply the lubricant is via a device called a Lub/sizer. With this machine the as cast bullet is pushed into a die of known size and the lubricant is forced in the grooves of the bullet. This does the two things already mentioned. The die sizes the bullet to a predetermined size and ensures that it is perfectly round and the lubricant is applied. After leaving the lubricater/ sizer it can be loaded into a case.
    One limit to cast bullets is the amount of heat( powder charge) that can be directly applied to the base of the bullet. Too much powder and you get the leading as described above. To eliminate this bullet casters have come up with a copper or aluminum gas check that is crimped on to a recessed base in the bullet. The gas check is a cupped plate that is slightly oversize for the recessed diameter on the bullet base. When the bullet and the gas check are run into the sizing die the gas check is crimped to the base of the bullet.
    There is a lot of controversy as to when a gas check is required but I am going to say if your reloads exceed 1200 fps then you probably need a gas check. This then indicates that your Magnum pistol calibers and all modern rifles need gas checks. About the only rifle cartridges that do not need a gas check are the 19th century cartridges such as 45-70, 38-55 and etc.
    The first scenario is casting for a pistol caliber that does not require a gas check. For that scenario we would need:
    Lead pot with 10 pound capacity $49.00
    Lead pot with 10 Pound capacity with bottom pour $64.00
    Lead ladle $4.00
    Two Cavity Lee Mold $20.00
    Lee Lubricating Kit $16.00
    Lubricant $5.00
    Shipping $18.00
    Lead Ingots $1.00 per pound

I listed two lead pots. The least expensive requires that you take a ladle, dip molten lead from the pot, and pour from the ladle into the mold. The bottom pour is: the mold is held below an orifice in the pot, The orifice is opened and molten lead runs into the mold via gravity. I prefer the bottom pour for pistols but some casters of larger rifle bullets prefer the ladle pour.
    To cast for a pistol your initial cost would be : 64.00 Lead Pot +20.00 Mold +16.00 Sizing die + 5.00 Lubricant or $105.00

1000 bullets for the .44 magnum (240 gn.) weigh 34.28 pounds or $34.28 in lead at $1.00/lb.
    1000 bullets for the .357 Magnum weigh (158 gn.) 22.57 pounds or $22.57 in lead.

The price for cast bullets is varied to say the least. My references listed cast bullets for the .357 from $79.00 per thousand to $88.00 per thousand. That is without shipping and shipping is also a variable. I believe I can buy from a local caster for $76.00 per thousand and I will use that.

My references for .44 Magnum was between $81.00 and $104.00 per thousand. I am going to use the price of $80.00 per thousand.
    To recover your initial investment over three years with .357 Magnum you would be saving $76.00-22.57 or $53.43 per thousand. You would need to cast 1965 bullets over three years. That is 655 bullets per year.
    For the .44 Magnum the math would be $80.00-34.28= $45.72per thousand. You would need to cast 2,300 bullets to recoup your cost over three years which is 764 rounds per year.

Lets look at a second scenario where the caster buys premium equipment and is involved in a lot of shooting.

20 # lead pot with bottom pour RCBS $329.00
    Four Cavity Brass Mold with Handles: $128.50 (I just bought one)
    Magma Sizer with one die: $365.00
    Lubricant : $20.00
    Shipping $40.00
    With this set-up you have $882.50
    My local caster charges $80.00 per thousand for the 200 gn. SWC bullet
    For .45 ACP with a 200 grain cast you would have $28.57 dollars of lead in one thousand bullets. You would recoup $80.00-28.57 or $51.43 per thousand. To recoup the 882.50 invested you would need to cast 17,160 bullets. The yearly rate for three years would be 5,720 bullets per year. That is a lot of shooting and would only include shooters involved in some type of competition.
    To add some time lines in this here is my estimates on time. To cast 1000 bullets and lube them with a two cavity mold 6+ hours. In 6 hours you would be saving $53.00
    To cast and lube 1000 bullets with 4 Cavity Mold and a Star/Magma sizer: 4 + hours. Here you would spend 4 hours to save $51.00 on the .45 ACP bullets.

The results kind of surprised me. If your time is worth more than $9-10 per hour you would be ahead to buy your cast bullets. The only thing you could cut down on is the cost of lead. There are sources of lead other than buying such as tire shops and salvaging used wheel weights or range recovery. Even with no costs associated with your lead the decision must be made whether is is “profitable” to do your own bullet casting. Your Decision.
    Another cost that I mentioned but did not include in my example was the cost of the gas checks if you go that route. Copper gas checks for the .44 caliber run between 3 and 4 cents apiece. Aluminum gas checks are around 2 cents per round. Add those costs to my example and you really have to think about casting.
    Casting does add the versatility of available bullet configurations to a caliber. Also casting your own allows you to properly fit a bullet to the bore of a specific firearm. Many older firearms and especially military firearms have bores that vary in diameter. Manufacturing tolerances were harder to comply with in the 19 and 20th century. And of course during a time of war the manufacturing tolerances were reduced so that a volume of rifles could be produced to meet the sudden demand.

Boolit Master
    i was thinking about it and it came down to enjoyment. its really drawn me and my dad closer to have this in common. we can shoot for less and shoot more. the other day i was thinking about financial feesablity and we did the bullet trap thing so it makes more sense now than ever!!!

Boolit Master

For me, the most important feature of casting my own is one I don't see mentioned much: independence.

Bullets can go up to $100 each and it will never affect me as I don't use them. It could be a felony to sell a bullet; wouldn't stop me from shooting.

I guess it's just me.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    I figure out it will never make sense on a cost basis, but its priceless when at a match someone says nice shooting and I can say of course my boolits go exactly where I want them to as I made them myself.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by garym1a2 View Post
    I figure out it will never make sense on a cost basis, but its priceless when at a match someone says nice shooting and I can say of course my boolits go exactly where I want them to as I made them myself.
    I find it gratifying also when I harvest an animal with a boolit that I cast and loaded.

It IS cheaper than condoms if you don't go overboard with all of the supplies. But like the Lays potato chip "you can never have just one"!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

On Heaven's Range

Talk about preaching to the choir...

Why post two such long and simplistic articles, when the audience here ALREADY casts their own bullets and (obviously) reloads their own ammunition?

I don't see the point...maybe I'm getting cranky?
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

Why post two such long and simplistic articles, when the audience here ALREADY casts their own bullets and (obviously) reloads their own ammunition?

is it cranky? or grumpy? I like grumpy. I read the whole post by wv109323 and when I finished it I had forgot the Question. I have to go lay down now. oh by the way I cast & reload because I enjoy it if I diden't I would not do it. GD
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Boolit Master
    Most of my molds were purchased used. I started with a lee 10lb and bought a saeco 20 lb pot off of ebay for $60. My sizer was in a box of junk I picked up for $10 at a gun auction. Last week I cast about 1500 boolits and I am pretty sure I will need about twice that before season is over. I buy gator checks and smelt wheel weights I purchase at $20 per hundred. Figure with smelting loss, it puts it about .50/lb

Hmm, 4 silhouette matches, 3 entries per match, 40 rounds per entry is 480 rounds in matches. Add in the internationals, and that will be at least another 320 rounds. I had better do at least that much practicing, so that puts me at 1600 rounds. Add in the 500 rounds or so for my 1911, another 500 for the ar15, and 100 or so rounds for the .280 for pre-season practice and I feel comfortable with the cost effectiveness.

2700/100 * $25 = $675 in jacketed bullets in one year.
    or 2700 * (.03 per check + .01 per lead boolit) = $108
    equipment cost over 3 years would be about $140/year

So I have about $427 to play with. At $10/hour, that gives me about 40 hours of casting time. That and the fact I have had most of my equipment for 20 years or so, and it has been pretty cost effective for me.
    Last edited by 7br; 01-09-2012 at 10:28 PM.
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post

+1 I cast my own boolits and load pretty much everything I shoot. Mostly I do both because for me NOT doing either makes no sense. Yeah, all the "official" reasons too.

I've now lived into the curmudgeon phase of my life and I like it just fine. Took me over 65 years to get here and I'm enjoying it.

OK, but if you need 1000 30:1 .409 Creedmores lubed with Emmert's and in good enough shape to do any good in a monthly BPCR Silhouette club shoot. You don't need all the fancy equipment, just a cast iron dutch oven, the fish fryer, a lead thermometer and a $300 single cavity mould. But really, if you have just blown six grand on a single shot rifle, who could even care how much the boolits cost? You get a bunch of the guys together and cast boolits while the barbeque is going and swap lies about how this year you are absolutely not going to go 0/10 on the chickens every single month again. The cost of boolits falls in the same class as the cost of beer in the fridge when it's your turn to host.

There's always a cheaper gun and always a cheaper bullet but how many good friends do you make shooting Wal-Mart bulk .22s in a pawn shop High Standard? You go around once, make it count.
    rr2241tx
    Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

Boolit Master
    Like other things in my life, I cast and reload, because I want to. I also kinda like the idea of spitting in the government's eye if they ever should decide to restrict or ban ammunition. And we all know their are some in government who would do it in heartbeat, tyrants love to lord it over and dictate to an unarmed populace.

In the early 80s, I got into handgun silhouettes. So reloading and casting was a no-brainer for me. I had connections to get hardcast lead for 10 cents/pound. I knew a couple of guys that had FFLs, sold me reloading and casting equipment at cost plus 10 percent. This hobby will lighten up the wallet. It's just question about how quickly.

Boolit Master

I've got three fifty cal. ammo cans chock full of surplus 7.62 Nato ammo but still shoot cast in all my rifles. That stuff will probably outlive me.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Banned

It's a craft. If you see it any other way, you won't be doing it three years from now.

Gear

Boolit Master
    My casting hobby pays for my shooting hobby after I account for scrap lead I refine and sell.

Would do it anyway. It is relaxing, how I get away from and recharge from selling my time for money.

Money may make the world go 'round; however, not everything in the world revolves around economics.

MJ

Boolit Master
    You can't value your time. You can't break it down and put it on a spreadsheet either. The things you buy for casting are bought incrementally. You buy what you can afford. Usually a guy can spread these costs over twenty, thirty, forty, fifty years plus. But lets say you are 50 right now, and you are just starting. Lets say you will probably live to be 75 or 80. That is at least 25 years of shooting left for you.

Divide the annaul cost of your casting outfit by 25 years. You will find that it really amounts to peanuts.

If you decide you do not want to cast, you will not have the flexibility to tailor your boolits to your specific need. You will need to buy something that someone else provides you. Many times these outfits go under leaving you to find another source. A caster can set back a sizable quantity of lead for relatively little money if he waits for good deals. The lead does not eat, and you are not having to deal with the rising costs.

Usually a caster has a son or family members or friends which will defray costs to the point that they are so cheap in the long term that you cannot afford to not cast your own boolits.

What you are doing is looking at this with the microscope and the not the telescope. But it depends on the amount you plan to shoot in the long run.

No self made millionaire ever valued his time. It is not even on the radar.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rr2241tx View Post
    There's always a cheaper gun and always a cheaper bullet but how many good friends do you make shooting Wal-Mart bulk .22s in a pawn shop High Standard? You go around once, make it count.
    That is exactly what I did with my brother in law a few weeks ago, a pawn shop Hi Standard (he has a duramatic and I have a Sport King) and a box of bulk Federals! Haha, I guess I truly am a redneck who is easily entertained because we had a blast shooting the spinners. Beautiful day too.

Cheers
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master
    I put it this way,I do it,for fun,to keep from going bonkers,you can make any size diameter bullet,by just altering the sizing die,you tailor the bullet to YOUR requirements(Hard,Soft,in between),you save money from not buying the jacketed version,although that is debatable about saving money,for a caster always needs another mould or die or gadget,well I do
    But the best thing is,is when you shoot and get that prized deer,you can say I made all of it to get that,it is a good feeling.
    just my two cents worth
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Boolit Master

I wanted to shoot cast bullets in order to shoot more economically and I was happy to buy cast bullets. I was reloading and buying jacketed bullets.

I started casting because I was not satisfied with the fit of locally available cast bullets. They were undersized for both my Colt Series 80 and my Redhawk Hunter 44 mag. As a result of that, both leaded seriously. I tried several casters. Same problem. I later learned the lube used by them was not optimal.

Apart from the personal satisfaction of mastering a new craft, I find I can make properly fitting, excellent shooting boolits that I can not buy locally. Ordering boolits sized as I wanted them approaches the cost of jacketed bullets.

So it is partly an economic thing for me. Buying a used pot and a used lubrisizer mitigated equipment costs. I did start with used molds (older Lyman and SAECO) which have performed very well, but have moved to Mihec molds now that the bullet artisan bug has bit me.

ETA: I shoot about 600 cast boolits in vairous calibers per month.
    Last edited by Iron Mike Golf; 01-10-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: added

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast