Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyLoad DataInline FabricationLee Precision
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: subsonic 45/70

Boolit Grand Master
    Californians too, eh!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Longwood
    Quote Originally Posted by Dthunter View Post
    A suppressor would put us Canadians in jail!

What an idiotic. Law................EH?
    lol!
    FORE SURE!
    I need one really bad!
    I also need a helicopter with rocket launchers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthunter View Post
    A suppressor would put us Canadians in jail!

What an idiotic. Law................EH?
    lol!

isn't that what our LIberal Government was??

oh.. Suppressor... I thought you said Oppressor

Banned
    The smallest load of the fastest powder possible = mouse fart.
    The longer the barrel the better.

Please state boolit and overall length and i'll run a QL.

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Californians too, eh!
    Oh, it's ok if your on the team...

Section 12520 shall not apply to, or affect, any of the following:

(a)The sale to, purchase by, or possession of silencers by agencies listed in Section 830.1, or the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States for use in the discharge of their official duties.

(b)The possession of silencers by regular, salaried, full-time peace officers who are employed by an agency listed in Section 830.1, or by the military or naval forces of this state or of the United States when on duty and when the use of silencers is authorized by the agency and is within the course and scope of their duties.

(c)The manufacture, possession, transportation, or sale or other transfer of silencers to an entity described in subdivision (a) by dealers or manufacturers registered under Chapter 53 (commencing with Section 5801) of Title 26 of the United States Code, and the regulations issued pursuant thereto.

Boolit Buddy
    I use SR-4759 with great success. About 22.0 grains with a 405 grain cast is a really easy accurate load at 50 in my Marlin.

You might take a look here... www.gmdr.com
    The entire site is based on shooting cast bullet loads in rifle cartridges using shotgun/pistol powders. The site includes loads, sd's, group sizes reported and is sponsered by Oregon Trail Bullets.

thanks rc

Boolit Master
    This is something I need to fool with a little more.
    I've been making a hammer out of my #1 with 3031 but last summer I loaded some 405HB's over 10grn. Unique.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say it was quiet, but it was quieter than a 355Ranch Dog and 55grn of 3031.
    Recoil was noticeably less as well. DUH!
    I've been kind of intrigued by the suppressor thing as well. Anyone who can't see the utility in a 400-500grn cast bullet at 1000-1100fps with little to no noise lacks imagination.
    Or, for that matter one honking along at 1800fps with noise in the ballpark of a .22mag.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Potsy View Post
    This is something I need to fool with a little more.
    I've been making a hammer out of my #1 with 3031 but last summer I loaded some 405HB's over 10grn. Unique.
    I wouldn't go so far as to say it was quiet, but it was quieter than a 355Ranch Dog and 55grn of 3031.
    Recoil was noticeably less as well. DUH!
    I've been kind of intrigued by the suppressor thing as well. Anyone who can't see the utility in a 400-500grn cast bullet at 1000-1100fps with little to no noise lacks imagination.
    Or, for that matter one honking along at 1800fps with noise in the ballpark of a .22mag.
    Hunting hogs or deer here in Texas on properties that border places you can't hunt on, the quieter,the better. Nearly all property here is privately owned, so precaution needs to be taken not to disturb others. Also, if hog feeders are only a few hundred yards apart in the woods, a pop is much less likely to disturb hogs that might be at other feeders. Most of these kinds of shots will be at less than 75 yards, and I'd go so far as to say most will be under 50. Lots of utility in this type of load.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Master
    I have often thought a suppressed subsonic .45-70 with a heavy soft cast boolit used from cover, would be a near perfect assassin's load.

If it gets there and embeds in center mass, game over for recipient of the boolit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Fire View Post
    I have often thought a suppressed subsonic .45-70 with a heavy soft cast boolit used from cover, would be a near perfect assassin's load.

If it gets there and embeds in center mass, game over for recipient of the boolit.
    Use undersize boolit with paper patch that doesn't retain rifling marks well and I'd agree.

Suppressed 45's sound like a big ol' bee trying to get to mach.

Boolit Master
    Longer barrels sure help on noise control. I use 13grns of Unique in the 45/70 loads. My Encore has a 24" barrel and my Marlin has a 26" barrel, those two inches make a big differnce in the noise I find. Sounds like I need to try some trailboss.

Boolit Mold

Subsonic load

457383 gc with 20.0grs SR 4759, no filler, groups under 2" from my 1886 Winchester at 100 yds.

Boolit Master
    I tried Lee 405HB's over 10grn Unique the other day. 35 yard group was 2in. (for 5 rounds).
    Considering I was shooting over jacket fouling, I'll not gripe.
    It was sighted in for 405 Rem. JSP's (yeah, I know). Windage was fine, but the subsonic load hit a foot low.
    Didn't bother to chrony, but I REALLY doubt she's over 1100fps.
    I did find out my bro-in-law has a can of Trail Boss stashed. Will be "borrowing" some soon.

Good info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12