WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Experiences with 357 Remington Max

Boolit Mold

Lightbulb Experiences with 357 Remington Max

Hey all! I've gotten a bee in my bonnet regarding the 357 max, and was hoping you guys might be willing to share your thoughts on this cartridge and the guns commonly chambered to fire it?

I'm seriously considering taking on my first semi-major gunsmithing project and rechambering a H&R Handi in 357 Magnum in order to get some time with this unique round. I handload most of my ammunition now, so ammo availability isnt a huge concern, although I have noticed brass can be rather scarce.

Any thoughts, comments, and experience/stories you guys have to share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Boolit Man

I have a Tucson made, United Sporting Arms Seville single action revolver in .357 Max. Love It!! All stainless patterned after the Super Blackhawk (I believe) with Ruger's transfer bar.

Have had good luck with 180 gr Hornady XTPs and 22.0 gr of some old Winchester 680. I understand that Accurates 1680 is basically the same powder, but I haven't shot up all of my 680 yet. Get 1520 f.p.s. out of a 7.5" barrel. The Seville has minimal cylinder gap so haven't had any problem with flame cutting or any of the other supposed sins of the Mad Max.

Remington makes the brass, I got mine at Cabela's but Midway carries it as well.

Haven't tried any cast boolits in it. Suppose they'd need to be pretty hard at this velocity.

Have carried it deer hunting a few times, but haven't got any shots yet. Hope to this year.

Banned
    I like the max....yep just a little bit uh huh.

A simple search yields some light reading:

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...archid=4127454

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...archid=4127462

lengthening that chamber is only semi serious...if you can sharpen a pencil and pay attention you can cut that chamber deeper. Just make sure your get the "rifle" reamer and do some investigation/learning first.

357 Max

I 357 Max is one that you will have to pry out of my hands!!!

A 180gr SIL over 1680 at 2050 - sub 1/2 group at 100.

It is just small game, something I want to remedy here shortly... ..., but it is one of my favorite rigs!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote

Benjamin Franklin

Banned
    Nice varmint a gettin there Duane. I am glad 1680 works for you...I did not like it, but that was only because of the inaccuracy and the fireball. That must be a wicked fireball when shooting lil critters in the dark....wow.

Moderator Emeritus

I have a 357 bbl on my handi reamed to 357 max. I get good groups with 180-200 gr boolits, not as good with the 220 gr 358627. I have never shot lighter than 180 as I have pistols to do that for me.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    Great stuff guys, keep it coming! Glad to hear reaming the chamber will be as easy a task as it seems. Thinking about renting the reamer from 4D, but I'm open to suggestions on that topic as well, since gunsmithing of any sort is a new realm to me.

Moderator Emeritus

Use a light oil and a lot of it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Go to Graybeards site.
    I am pretty sure the H&R folks on the site have a "loaner" Max reamer.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Talking Powders...

Quote Originally Posted by 357maximum View Post
    Nice varmint a gettin there Duane. I am glad 1680 works for you...I did not like it, but that was only because of the inaccuracy and the fireball. That must be a wicked fireball when shooting lil critters in the dark....wow.

LOL, I think the main problem is that I have so many big “boomers” as it is, it still is anemic to my 16.5 35-06 JDJ w/ muzzle tamer…

With as many rounds that I hand load for there is one thing I have learned. Load what the barrel likes and don’t worry about the components… LOL
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    I used the maxi reamer from graybeards site. Took about 15 minutes total.
    Shoots the 38 special better after reaming.

Had the barrel bobbed to 16.5", tapped for a front site, added a kids buttstock. Now
    it fits a youngster.

Getting about 1.5 moa with 180 xtp's and 1680. 2000 fps.

Boolit Grand Master
    Jacketed 180's seem to work very well in my converted handi. The 358627 not so much. I probably just need more experimentation with the 358627. My .357mag revolver loves the 357627 as does my .38 Spec. Intend on spending more time with a paper patch 188 gr, .35 boolit for the max and possibly the .35-200. So much to do and so little time to do it!!!

Boolit Master
    I'd suggest AA1680 and a 200 gr cast bullet. At least in my 10" contender H-110 was eratic, but once I got to a compressed load of 1680 I got consistant velocities and good accuracy, also just over 1900 fps.

Boolit Master
    I use my 357 max T/C carbine as my light blackbear rifle when I mountain bike in our local tree farms and it shoots very well with 150 gr rnpb boolits at 1100 fps for smaller critters.