Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Ranchdog 165 in Winchester

Ranchdog 165 in Winchester

I have an old Model 94, made back in early 70's. Has anybody used the 165 gr. Ranchdog boolits in the Winchesters?

Swamrat1052
    WE DONT RENT PIGS!!!

Boolit Grand Master

No, working with the .32 sister of that boolit in a rifle of that vintage. Eyesight seems to be hampering that project but it looks promising. Best results so far with LeveRevolution powder, see Larry Gibson's posts on the subject.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

They work, loaded some with 30. 0 gr. H-4895, good accuracy, no leading. Life is good.

Swamprat
    WE DONT RENT PIGS!!!

Banned

What alloy did you cast them with? I just cast my first batch of 50/50 with 2 ounces of tin in a 10 lb pot. They cast real well, I ran them through a .311 sizer to seat the gas checks, gonna dip them with liquid alox next and load some up. I had planned on going about 26 grains of IMR4895 for use in various .30-30s. I wonder if that is too hot for that soft a bullet. I want to hunt with it and cast soft to ensure expansion.

I used straight wheel weights for mine. I sprayed them with WD-40 then sized and put the gas checks on with a Lee .311 sizer. Then I dipped them Ranch Dog Style in thinned liquid Alox. Ran them back through the sizer and used corn starch on them. I belled the case mouths slightly and loaded them. I had 3 that wouldnt chamber, I think they bulged a little while crimping them, ordered a Lee Factory Crimp die, gonna see if that helps. At 50 yds all shots went inside about an 1 1/2" bullseye. I shot 3 rounds at a bigger bullseye (I could almost see) and put all 3 rounds in about 3". Maybe by accident. No leading.

I just installed a Williams peep site and a Fiber Optic front site on it, my old eyes aint what they used to be. I was surprised, I hit the bullseye at 50 yds without having to adjust the sights. I got lucky on a load and with the sights. I may try the softer lead on mine too, but I have a hard time thinking the ww is too hard. Let me know how yours turn out with the 50/50.

Swamprat
    WE DONT RENT PIGS!!!

Banned

I may have to clean pretty often to keep good accuracy. I have several .30-30s I want to shoot this load in, including a Model '94. I haven't shot it in a while, but remember it did OK with cast, I just never tried a load like what I want to do with this one. I'll also be trying in a Marlin micor groove as well as a couple of Savage rifles.

By the way, I have that Williams peep and fiber optic front on my '94, I sure shoot better with aperature sights.