Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't normally pick nits but:

in Remebrance

Don't normally pick nits but:

Caught some show today dealing with Spanish exploration in the Amazon basin in the 1540's. Surprised that those conquistadores were equipped with Remington Rolling Blocks. Really?? GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Master

They probably got a good deal on gunbroker.com and a bulk buy on brass from Graf and Sons! I did read that they suffered from horrible cell service in the new world.

Those were the pre-Remington Rolling Blocks. After all, Remington is the oldest gun maker in the US!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Those were the pre-Remington Rolling Blocks. After all, Remington is the oldest gun maker in the US!
    Probably made by Beretta, copied about 300 years later by Remington.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

No different than John Wayne and about a million other Cowboys toting 92 Winchesters in the 1860's and very often even earlier!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Actually, there's 2 numbers transposed. It's supposed to be the 1450's.

Boolit Master
    in JOHN WAYNES THE ALAMO, there were a great many 43 CAL. SPANISH REMINGTON ROLLING BLOCKS used in the back ground seen's .i have one that came from his studio, BAT JAC. INC. with provenance to the affect that they were used as fillers for distance seen's. PS. they shot faster than flint locks!!

One of the biggest goofs I ever saw was in the movie "The Blue Max". It's about WW I Germany, and all of the German soldiers are equipped with WW II British rifles.

A couple of nights ago I watched Jimmy Stewart in "Firecreek". As near as I could figure out from short glimpses of his revolver it was a 1917 Colt with a 1873 ejector housing attached to the barrel. The cylinder opened to the side for reloading, but everyone else was using an 1873 SSA.

Boolit Master
    How many shots did they get off before they had to reload?

Boolit Master

Hollywood westerns are so absurd it's really not funny at all, just plain stupid! Some of the newer westerns, Open Range for example, do a pretty good job of keeping it closer to real but before that it was simply ridiculous. Confederate soldiers wearing bandoliers of 45/70 rounds (John Wayne movie Rio Lobo) and carrying 92 Winchesters days after the war ends, etc but of course that's just a tiny example of the Hollywood stupidity. The glaring firearm errors list for movies would take pages to complete while only a short note could list every instance where they got it right!

It's not only firearms but clothing and just about everything else in western culture was so grossly misrepresented by Hollywood that the place and people being depicted might as well have been from a different planet! The sad part is that a truer more historically accurate representation would have been far more interesting than Hollywood's absurdly distorted depiction of firearms and just about everything else.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fast ronnie View Post
    How many shots did they get off before they had to reload?
    Why everyone knows those conquistador rolling blocks were automatic self loaders; the belts of ammo were carried on donkeys 1 donkey per 4 man fire team. I’ve seen it in photos from the era.

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    in JOHN WAYNES THE ALAMO, there were a great many 43 CAL. SPANISH REMINGTON ROLLING BLOCKS used in the back ground seen's .i have one that came from his studio, BAT JAC. INC. with provenance to the affect that they were used as fillers for distance seen's. PS. they shot faster than flint locks!!
    A bunch of Trapdoor Springfields in The Alamo movie too!

Boolit Master

One of the goofier instances in westerns I have seen was John Wayne in "The War Wagon" sitting at a bar room table talking to Kirk Douglas about the difficulties they would have to face when confronting the Wagon guards. Wayne in referring to how much better armed the guards will be says "and they will all be armed with Henry repeating rifles" while both he an Douglas have 92 Winchesters leaning against the table and both are wearing the usual Colt SAA pistols in low slung holsters (which was another complete Hollywood fabrication starting some time about the 1940's).

Banned

hollyweird et al, and firearms, are chock fulla anomalies. it is what it is, and it is all pretend.

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Movie clip.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	224303

Next time watch John Wayne's Cowboys where he leads a bunch of school kids on a cattle drive. In one action scene a youngster shooting a supposedly old pistol. Look closely and quickly at the front of the .44 caliber cylinder. The they look like .22 holes. I'm sure they use mostly weapons set up for blank firing.
    N.R.A. Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by georgewxxx View Post
    Next time watch John Wayne's Cowboys where he leads a bunch of school kids on a cattle drive. In one action scene a youngster shooting a supposedly old pistol. Look closely and quickly at the front of the .44 caliber cylinder. The they look like .22 holes. I'm sure they use mostly weapons set up for blank firing.
    As far as I've heard, Hollywood didn't use much if any .22 blank guns? The gun seen may be a .22, but likely was non firing if it was. Here's a good site that tells of numerous Hollywood blank firing scenes, and what they did.

https://blankgunarmory.com/blankgunb...-in-hollywood/

And here's some "fun" tidbits!
    http://www.cracked.com/article_24638...efore-cgi.html
    Last edited by marlinman93; 07-25-2018 at 03:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    As far as I've heard, Hollywood didn't use much if any .22 blank guns? The gun seen may be a .22, but likely was non firing if it was. Here's a good site that tells of numerous Hollywood blank firing scenes, and what they did.

https://blankgunarmory.com/blankgunb...-in-hollywood/

And here's some "fun" tidbits!
    http://www.cracked.com/article_24638...efore-cgi.html
    Its hollywood !!! the out of sync guns always annoyed me - the early westerns had some spectacular scenery and there would have been plenty of old period correct guns around cheap in the 1950'& 60's - would not have broke the bank to get it right - friend of mine that is a bit of a cowboy historian has the same reaction about the horse gear - saddles and tack are all wrong he says (I spot some of that too but its not so obvious to me) - clothing too I guess (low crowned hats and blue jeans with belts?)
    Was watching a couple of cowboy pics on youtube the other night and right there in the shot is a powerline (two lines and no it werent the overland telegraph)

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Was watching a couple of cowboy pics on youtube the other night and right there in the shot is a powerline (two lines and no it werent the overland telegraph)

I think the worst offense I have seen of that was a western set in 1859 just prior to the Civil war, can't remember the name of it but it was with Randolph Scott and starts with a family of villains hiding in a wagon slipping into town to rob a bank. The townspeople are aware of what's going on and set a trap for them, as they come into town they are beset upon by lawman and townspeople alike ALL of which are armed with 92 Winchesters and colt SAAs of course (it's supposed to be 1859!). Now as they race out of town returning fire with their own Winchesters and Colts in plain view are multiple power and telephone lines clearly running to almost every building in sight, transformers are visible on poles in the background and there is even one quick view of a power meter on a building, 1859 -yeah right!

By far the goofiest thing I have seen, and I have mentioned this a bunch of times in the past, was a detective show on TV back in the 70's. A detective needs to question a suspect that is unconscious from being shot and the doctor tells the detective they got the bullet out but it will be a while before the man can talk, then using forceps he proceeds to pick up the bullet he had just removed from the man and shows it to the detective -he's holding in the forceps the WHOLE ROUND, BRASS CASING AND ALL!!!!

I wouldn't have thought anyone could be that dumb even in Hollywood but there it was plain as could be.
    Last edited by oldred; 07-26-2018 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bosterr View Post
    Actually, there's 2 numbers transposed. It's supposed to be the 1450's.
    That can't be correct as Columbus didn't make his first voyage until 1492. Pizzaro didn't start poking around South American until 1522. 1540 sounds about right for the Spanish to be mucking around in the Amazon.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast