Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FreeChex III

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up FreeChex III

I sent my order and sample bullets to Charlie, for a FreeChex III, in .40 caliber, on the 21st of April 2012. The tool arrived today, along with checks made by the tool on my sample bullets. The results are great! The service was absolutely fantastic. We had continuous contact during the process and he answered all my questions promptly.
    I can't wait to start turning out gas checks for my .401 Herter Magnum. It is a super looking tool.

With this kind of service I can't help but order additional calibers in the future. If anyone is waffling about getting a check making tool, do it. You won't be disappointed! I highly recommend ordering from him.....Gil

Banned
    I have corresponded with Charlie a number of times & I not only find him incredibly bright but also a man of the utmost conviction. He's a straight up guy.

Sounds like Charlie is up to snuff on doing business and production. Glad to hear it.

Boolit Master
    What did the Free ChexIII run you? I'm interested in ordering one for .30 caliber. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Master
    I sent a E mail to charlie to see if he had a freecheck 3 in 357. He sent a message back that he had some about finished. I then ask how much it would cost and if he would take a personal check.He replied 100.00 dollars and a check would be fine.
    I then replied to him that I would put a check in the next days mail.

In 6 days from the first E mail I had my freechec 3 in hand and had 1200 check made before I knew what was going on.

It is a great gas check maker and charlie is a great person to do business with. I don't know why anybody would want any other kind.....Terry

Boolit Buddy
    What is Charlie's contact info ?

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Boolit Master
    you will be pleased with charlies tool, it is first rate, one moving part.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, yonky !

Boolit Master
    I talked to Charlie tonight and ordered my second Freechex. Both times he sent his device before receiving my payment. Trust is just his way.
    Kevin

Boolit Buddy
    I've got a Freechex 3 set up on a drill press and it is unbelievable how fast you can crank out checks - as fast as you can pull the handle.

I've found that if I hit mine with a spray of One Shot case lube occasionally it runs a lot smoother. Fantastic product and all in one step.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive".

right in the middle of england"birthplace of the industrial revolution"
    we dont have case lube in the uk,what is it?
    i use wd40 seams to keep everything running smoothly,also putting some on a rag and applying to the strip also helps.ian
    Sir Winston Churchill said "You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by yonky View Post
    we dont have case lube in the uk,what is it?
    i use wd40 seams to keep everything running smoothly,also putting some on a rag and applying to the strip also helps.ian
    I used Castor Oil for years for case lube. Then more sophisticated modern stuff like teflon type grease in a tooth paste tube etc. When case lube is required for sizing brass you will not get away with anything like ordinary oils.
    tj

Boolit Master
    I use some stuff called Original Mink Oil Compound for case lube and also for the FC3. Put a little on my fingers and wipe on the aluminum strip. keeps everything running smooth..............Terry

Banned

Lube

A long time ago I bought some Horanaday case lube in a small tub. I let it sit for years on the window shelf. Not too long ago I needed some lube for my press rams & the bars that slide on my two Lyman #45 lubersizers. Nothing better! I wish they made it in a liquid form so I could put it on my case lube pad. At times I put it on my 7MM Rem Mag cases and it makes sizing them real easy. It should work well for lubrication when using the FreeChex III.

Boolit Buddy
    That would be Hornady Unique case lube which is essentially the same as mink oil paste for leather goods, it is a high quality lanolin product.

When I got one of Charlies first FC II tools that is what I reached for to lube it, nothing I tried after works as well and of course that is what lubes my FC III tools, beautiful thing is no petroleum distillates so zero possibility of primer or powder contamination.

Also, fancy this, its an awesome case lube and wipes off without any residue, I bought a 4oz tub in 1984 when I started reloading and literally have done in excess of 10,000 rounds, I have HALF of it still left! And as mentioned above I also use it to lube my press rams, pins, etc. When lubing cases I found that all I need is to just wipe my fingertip on it and sprdad it around the case with thumb and index finger and best yet I only need to lube every other case

Liquid form? Thats doable if you melt some down in a double boiler and mix it with 99% isopropyl rubbing alcohol and mix thoroughly, put it in a good spray bodel and shake thoroughly before use, I do my bulk case loading (500 to 1000 cases at a time) by using a similar formula but subbing castor oil, I prefer lanolin but it is much more expensive and only available via internet where I live, castor oil is great, albiet messy, and I quickly clean the cases several hundred at a time in a cheap plastic collander using NON clorinated brake cleaner.

Sorry to digress but Hornady Unique/mink oil paste/lanolin is a very versatile substance for reloaders I thought it may be usefull to someone I am also quite sure castor oil straight may work exceedingly well for lubing FC check tools as it also has a very high film strength like lanolin based lubes.

Jeff

Would anybody happen to know if Freechex III can be made as a PB check? I have another PB check making tool on order for a 357 from another maker but will also need to get one made in 32 and possibly in a couple other calibers in future.

If you want a good case lube, try Joseph Liddy saddle dressing, I've used it on 32-20 and 222 brass and it provides all the slip you could possibly want.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

In Remembrance

Fciii 50 s&w

Quote Originally Posted by gundownunder View Post
    Would anybody happen to know if Freechex III can be made as a PB check? I have another PB check making tool on order for a 357 from another maker but will also need to get one made in 32 and possibly in a couple other calibers in future.

If you want a good case lube, try Joseph Liddy saddle dressing, I've used it on 32-20 and 222 brass and it provides all the slip you could possibly want.
    You can take the FCIII in 50 S&W and make .458 ID checks for the .457-.463 bullets. You can also take the FCIII 450/454 and make swaging cups for .44 and 45 bullets. They end up about 1/4 tall when swaged. I guess that is the right term.

Boolit Master

I Got Mine Too!

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 06-22-2020 at 12:41 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Buddy
    Loved the video, Thanks.
    Question, I am new and ignorant so: What is that tool that you are using to seat the checks with?
    Thanks
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
    I had a few emails back and forth from Charlie . . . Then I ordered my .22 cal, in less than a week, it was at my house!

I am a long distance over the road truck driver, and got home this week . . . started playing with it yesterday afternoon . . . I decided to make a jig for it to hold the die in place on my Harbor Freight Arbor Press . . . as I wanted to have the checks fall through into a container below . . . I had not seen anyone detail how they made theirs . . . so here is what I did . . .

I took a 3/4" piece of pine, cut it 2.5" X 2.5", (hindsight 20/20 I should have made a bit bigger) and also a piece of 1/8" plate steel about the same size . . . drilled a 9/32" hole in the steel, a couple of 1/8" holes for the 2" drywall screws . . . and a couple of 3/16" fender washers . . . If I was doing it over again, I would probably just drill & tap the base plate, and screw down through the jig . . .

I drilled a 5/8" hole in the wood, and ground off the tips of the drywall screws . . . the 5/8" hole was just a tad tight, I was able to work the FreeChex III in about 1/4 of the way by hand.

Here is a video I shot with it in action, plus some ramblings . . . warning I have a massive allergy effecting me right now . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riChPiYBxvg

Here are the instructions I got with mine in PDF form:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast