WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .316 rifle bullet molds?

Boolit Bub

.316 rifle bullet molds?

Hello. First I'm new to this site but not to casting. Been looking for awhile to find a rifle bullet mold.
    .316" dia MUST be gas checked, spitser/round nose if I have to. 150-180 Gr in size
    I've been having immense trouble as ALL the web sites I've looked at ONLY offer pistol molds!!!! What a crock! I need a web site that does rifle molds other than the mainstream; saeco,lyman,RCBs,LEE etc.

Boolit Buddy
    Check the group buy section or venders for NOE he might still have a 316-299

Boolit Master

ciphery:
    Welcome to the CastBoolits.
    PM coming your way.
    Jack

have you looked at THIS one?

HONCHO EMERITUS

You might want to take a look at Accurate Molds. A simple web search will turn up the website.

You can specify the as cast dimensions when ordering as well as the diameter of the nose on bore riding boolits. If you don't see what you like in the large catalog of designs Tom at Accurate Molds will work wiith you to design the boolit you are looking for. I own several of Tom's molds and they are first rate & cast wonderful slugs.

Hope this helps,
    -Matt
    Group Buys Honcho'd: C326-175-FN, 434-210-RF, C434-210-RF, 30-165-SIL-MOD, 358156-PB, 413-170-Keith, C348-225-FN, 8mm SIL, 45-230-CM, 45-270-Ohaus/SWC, Edd's 28-170-FN

Banned

simple matter of shortening the noe 200 gr 316 boolit.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    have you looked at THIS one?
    I've shot that one. The ballistic coefficient is too low and the flat point will not feed from my magazine. It is only suitable for short to medium ranges at low to moderate velocities and single round feeding.

The gun is a Polish M44 . Oh I'm also looking for a cast iron mold not cheap aluminum crud.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch4122 View Post
    You might want to take a look at Accurate Molds. A simple web search will turn up the website.

You can specify the as cast dimensions when ordering as well as the diameter of the nose on bore riding boolits. If you don't see what you like in the large catalog of designs Tom at Accurate Molds will work wiith you to design the boolit you are looking for. I own several of Tom's molds and they are first rate & cast wonderful slugs.

Hope this helps,
    Funny, they only show Pistol molds. I found a 32 cal. That. Might mok if it were 130 grns. heavier.....but none in the weight of a rifle bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    Take another look. http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=all

What you're looking for will be a 31-whatever

Boolit Master
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=98661

They're aluminum, but they're most decidedly not crud.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    CBE make molds in that size and are considered by them to be an "oversized .303 bullet", those folks are authorities on the .303 bore. I have a 205 gr. .316" brass mold from them and it's a dandy.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the forum. I can see though that someone has given you some bad information. Properly made aluminum molds are actually more caster friendly than iron molds and I will get arguments on that. I have a lot of iron molds and a lot of aluminum molds and I like them all but I lean to aluminum. There are plenty of mold makers on this sight that will make a boolit mold to your specifications in just about any size and configuration, and from all accounts they make excellent molds.

Boolit Grand Master
    Big Ditto to all said by 45-70 C. And--welcome aboard, sir!
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    CBE make molds in that size and are considered by them to be an "oversized .303 bullet", those folks are authorities on the .303 bore. I have a 205 gr. .316" brass mold from them and it's a dandy.
    Ciphery, MT Chambers is right on the mark. Here's their website: http://www.castbulletengineering.com/ Excellent workmanship and accurate molds.

Boolit Master
    Try it you might like it...
    NOE 316299 202Gr. RN
    NOE 316299 202Gr. RN

Col 2:13-17

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    NOE 316299 202Gr. RN
    NOE 316299 202Gr. RN

I love it ,, and my 1891's are getting fat eating these.
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    NOE 316299 202Gr. RN
    NOE 316299 202Gr. RN

Now if I could get that bullet in a 165gr cast iron mold and modify it with a hollow point I'd be 100%
    I've cast with Lyman,saeco, redding, rapine, lee, and a few original universal loading tools.
    My experience is that while aluminum heats up quickly to start casting, and makes a good bullet, the longevity of the mold its self is ****......and brass solders its self as well as being soft.
    Cast iron is my favorite hands down.

Boolit Bub
    Ok. So I looked at the NOE website.
    I'm thinking a 316 365 HP is in order. PROVIDED the aluminum of the mold is HARD like a T6Aluminum.
    Whatever LEE uses is garbage aluminum. Scratches and deforms WAY too easy!

Boolit Master
    T6 is not a type of Aluminum, it is a tempering state of Aluminum. Accurate makes molds im Al, Brass, and cast iron. NEI make Cast Iron Molds.

I have never seen or heard of Brass molds soldering themselves together. Mine don't.

The older you get, the more you will appreciate Aluminum molds. I am currently casting a run with an iron Saeco 4 cavity .357, 158 grn. mold and a 5 cavity 316299 NOE Al. mold. The NOE is noticeably easier on the arms then the Saeco, and when good and hot casts just as well.

ciphery: eveybody that makes aluminum moulds uses 2024 aluminum. It is what they make aircraft parts from. believe me it is just fine for the purpose. I have Lee moulds that are 40 years old and make perfect boolits everytime.

That said the best moulds I have used are made of brass. Yes, you have to handle them carefully, but really that is true of any good quality mould. Believe me once again, once you use a high quality brass mould you won't want anything else. They donot solder themselves together, and even if they did all you would do is heat them up and melt the solder. They hold heat better than anything else and produce boolits with lower lead temps than either steel or aluminum moulds do.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast