RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox

Thread: WW cast weight variation

Boolit Mold

WW cast weight variation

I am a newbie caster, and have a question. I am using a straight ww alloy. I am using an RCBS 45-270-SAA mould. Now as I understand it, that mould should cast a bullet whose weight is in the area of 270 grains. Mine are weighing in at 284-286 grains. Am I screwing the pooch or is this normal?

It's not uncommon. In fact, I don't think I have ever cast a bullet that weighs what the mold makers state.

Boolit Mold
    I just got a bit concerned when the weight was 15 or so grains over the stated weight.

Boolit Master

Unless your using that specific alloy, molded under those specific conditions(ie: air temp, mold temp, alloy temp, etc) there will be variations.

Boolit Master

My RCBS 45-250 cast out at 268 gr with WW's, the harder the alloy the lighter it will be because of the tin and antimony.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

rroberts,
    IIRC, RCBS specs out thier pissola molds from 1:10 tin/lead. WW usually have a much lower percentage of tin so will usually run a little heavier, in your case about 5%. This will vary some depending on the exact composition of your wheel weights, casting technique, and phase of the moon (or something). Nothing to worry about unless the weight difference from an earlier batch is bothersome. Then you get into big batch blending techniques.
    Rick

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Hornet, guessing from your location, is your avatar a woodchuck? Looks a lot like California ground squirrels found in a lot of California and Nevada. They are also found around and under my house. When found in the open, these sage rats often find out just how accurate a CZ .22 LR is.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

each mold manufacturer uses a different alloy for their molds. My boolits have never been the same as what the mold company says. This is normal.
    I only hope that someday I can be half the Man that my Dogs already think I am!

NVcurmudgeon,
    Yep, woodchuck it is. I saw a couple out running about a couple weeks ago but I think they're hiding out until it stops snowing again. I usually try to wait until later in the spring before shooting any so the young ones can survive on their own, but sometimes have to stop then from digging in problem areas.
    As a side note, my Grandma says they're delicious if you get them before they get old and tough. She raised 7 kids through the Depression so she'd know.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
    NVcurmudgeon,
    Yep, woodchuck it is. I saw a couple out running about a couple weeks ago but I think they're hiding out until it stops snowing again. I usually try to wait until later in the spring before shooting any so the young ones can survive on their own, but sometimes have to stop then from digging in problem areas.
    As a side note, my Grandma says they're delicious if you get them before they get old and tough. She raised 7 kids through the Depression so she'd know.

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Boolit Master
    scrounger
    , A woodchuck would chuck about as much as a wood chuck could chuck IF a wood chuck could chuck wood!
    got it?

Boolit Mold
    The April issue of Handloader mag has an article on this very mold. The author mentioned that his bullets came out at about 284grains also.

So what's wrong with 284grs anyway? Im a firm believer that bigger is better !

Boolit Mold
    I tried them in my Ruger Blackhawk over 8 grains of 231, and they were fine. Didn't have my chrono with me, but no flattened primers or sticky cases. Thanks for the help guys.

Rusty