WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: want to learn ReLoading ...

Boolit Mold

want to learn ReLoading ...

I am in the process of reading manuals etc

was thinking of getting the LEE Anniversary kit to learn on.

Interested in reloading for the 45/70 cast & {non lead for Cali hunting}

and .44mag

any comments on the LEE anniversary press for learning and getting started with???

any info appreciated

Boolit Bub

Cool Lee anniversary kit

Lee anniversary kit is a fantastic way to get started keep your original cost down due to equipment that works well enough to give you an idea of how this all is done I would carry you not get disgusted when you hear other posters talk about having thousands of dollars of equipment the part you don't hear is if they been at this for 25 30 years 40 years I myself loaded my first shotgun shells when I was 17 and I have now 50 I still have the same original equipment over the years I have picked up some of the same thing with the reloading I actually started out with the lee single stage press bought a set of dyes and a buddy loaned the rest of the things I need to get started and to give you some idea this is blossomed into two Dillon press as a rockchucker or press dies for 30 or 35 caliber casting equipment for over 10 different caliber and sizing equipment the same if this is a hobby that is going to be your thing you will begin to collect items as needed can have a lot of fun doing this

Slim 400

Boolit Master
    I started with a Lee kit and dies and still think it's an excellent way for a new reloader to get started. As you gain experience, you can always move on to other brands that better suit your personal wants and needs.

I'm particularly encouraged that you are taking the time to read "manuals etc", as I see so many new casters and reloaders who refuse to do so. If you don't already have them, pick up a Lyman "Reloading Handbook" and either the 3rd or 4th edition of their "Cast Bullet Handbook". They contain many informative how-to articles, but their cast load information is priceless.

When you get to the point of actually reloading some rounds, start with dummies -- no primer, no powder. After you are completely familiar and comfortable with reloading dummies, and they chamber in your gun(s), then you can move on to live rounds.

Boolit Master
    SSH - great advice from above. We all started somewhere.

I started as a teen with no help at all. Just read everything I could. If you can not find someone to help you hands on, by all means ask questions here. There are NO stupid questions. Safety is the name of the game. Go slow.

I don't remember if calipers come in the Anniversery kit, if not, be sure to get as set.

Be Safe and Enjoy!

Boolit Buddy
    I'd recommend the Lee 50th kit and dies for your calibres along with a manual and set of digital calipres to measure the length of your rounds. I wouldn't worry about trimming cases with your two rounds as they don't tend to need it like .308 and .30-06 do.

I would recommend the Lee 2nd ed manual or Lyman 49th.

There are many options for cast and jacketed bullets out there for your two rounds as well as the option of casting your own boolits.

Boolit Master
    Seasidehunter,

Welcome to Castboolits. Now you're addicted. Too late to turn back now. Lol.

I purchased the Lee anniversary reloading kit. It will come with just about everything you'll need to start reloading, except for the dies in your calibers. The kit comes with a safety prime system that you use to prime on the press for both large and small primers. I would suggest that you get a micrometer before you get a calipers. The micrometer can be used to slug your bore.

If you opt for a calipers then get a dial caliper rather than an electronic one. The batteries just don't last very long in the digital ones. Just wish I had gotten the dial caliper instead.

I do not trust the Lee Perfect Powder measure. I use it to approximate the charge, then I weigh every charge. I do this to ensure that I don't overcharge any case. I am meticulous about charge weights as this is where many go awry. Always start with the minimum charge and work up to the max.

I purchased my anniversary kit from Cabelas when they were on sale for $89.00 and about 15.00 shipping charge. I do like the Breech Lock press because they have inserts to screw your dies into and then you don't have to worry about resetting each die. The quick change system works really well for me.

When you order your dies, it would be to your benefit to get the carbide dies as they don't require case lube to resize the cases. Try searching on fleabay. I've seen both .44 mag and 45/70 dies for under $20 plus shipping. Just look around. Look also in the swapping and selling on this forum. You may find what you need from another member here. Have fun and be safe. BC
    Last edited by Bullet Caster; 04-24-2012 at 11:43 PM.
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Master
    As far as electronic vs dial on calipers and micrometers I beg to differ. Rather, I say it depends upon your situation, or rather your eyes.

Being on a fixed income, I can not afford to go to the eye doctor every year for new glasses. My fading eyes just can not read dials accurately anymore. It is totally frustrating. The electronic ones were pure heaven sent for me!

Of course, like anything else there are degrees of quality. I don't buy the el cheapos.

Have fun with that Lee scale and powder drop.

Best junk china can make.

They will work long enough for you to buy better.

The only Lee products I use are the classic loaders.
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Master
    Ah come on man, play nice.

It's better than the Lee hand dies and Hammer, and powder scoops I started with.

We gotta start somewhere.

Let's get the man Hooked. Then he can upgrade as interest and pockets provide.

Just one of a dozen or so presses.

Not bragging, just making a point.

I just saw a Lee Anniversary kit for sale used on Highroad for $80 shipped. My choice as someone fairly new either that or the Lee Turret press to start. I started with a bit more actually to Lee Pro 1000 and a Lee Reloader but picked it up pretty quickly after reading a couple of books and looking for video on YouTube.

Boolit Man
    The Lee stuff is more than adequate. My eyes are getting older so I found setting up the tenths end of the Lee scale annoying, but it is as accurate as my RCBS 505. And my Lee powder measure has been accurate to a tenth of a grain for every powder I've tried in it. It may be inexpensive, but it ain't cheap! Mr. sshunter will eventually have gear from many makers on his workbench just like the rest of us, so let's put the bashing away and welcome him to his new addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by FLDad View Post
    The Lee stuff is more than adequate. My eyes are getting older so I found setting up the tenths end of the Lee scale annoying, but it is as accurate as my RCBS 505. And my Lee powder measure has been accurate to a tenth of a grain for every powder I've tried in it. It may be inexpensive, but it ain't cheap! Mr. sshunter will eventually have gear from many makers on his workbench just like the rest of us, so let's put the bashing away and welcome him to his new addiction.
    Since I've started I've reloaded 9mm, 45acp and 45 Colt (Pyrodex) using the Lee Pro 1000 and all fired great from various guns. No complaints at all with Lee as all but the 45 Colt came with the 4 die sets as well as full carriers for each caliber (including 38spl/357 which I don't load). I have both the Lee scale and a Hornady G-1500 electronic and both are dead on. I'm now adding other items which I might add for the most part are also Lee products so no complaint from me. I buy for the most part from FS Reloading for best prices and shipping costs.

Boolit Master
    There is a lot of wisdom by reloaders posted on this thread. I will be the guy that rains on the Lee Parade... don't buy the kit. Yes, buy a Lee press and dies, case prep tools but spend the money and get a good powder scale. Its terribly important for reloading, you will use it all the time and need a good one to serve you well. Nothing wrong with Lee equipment but I don't trust nor recommend their scale. You need a first class scale .

You can by the way make the Lee powder measure work well, just be patient with it.

Just to state the facts: I own Pacific, RCBS,Lyman, Dillon, Forster, and Lee reloading gear. I choose the tool, not the name
    so I am not biased for or against any maker of reloading tools. I prefer a Co Ax to my RCBS press and I prefer a Dillon 650 to
    my Lee turret press ... but Lee press and dies do work just fine. I have 3 Lee die sets and 40 other brand sets, The Lee
    dies perform on par so they stay here and are much valued.

So, choose carefully your reloading gear and if its Lee, its going to serve you well but..... forget that Lee powder scale ! That item is
    not what you need. However, if that is all you can afford, then buy it and replace it as soon as you can.

There is one golden lining with Lee products: they are affordable. They are the Timex watch when you need to tell time and
    cannot afford a Rolex. Lee press and dies should give you a life time of service.
    Last edited by milprileb; 04-25-2012 at 08:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    Well said MP- I like your statement "I choose the tool, not the name". I try to do so myself, but I confess, I have been guilty of the opposite at times.

Best junk china can make.
    I didn't realize China was in the state of Wisconsin. To the OP the kit is an excellent way to get into reloading and as far as the powder measure and scale well they work perfectly, but the scale is a bit aggravating as it takes too long to damper and can be difficult to set if you have big hands. I still have the one i bought 20 years ago and still use it even though i bought a Lyman pro 1000 scale in the mid 90's and have aquired a few digital scales as well. As far as the perfect powder measure goes it's as accurate as any other out there and of course the type of powder used will have a bearing on it's accuracy, but that goes for all powder measures that I'm aware of.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want to learn "reloading", especially with cast bullets then 1st of all get the Lyman #49 reloading manual. Read and study the informaion sections. Also try to find a 3rd edition Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. Bothof those will give you the basics much better than any other manuals, especially for cast bullet loading. Once you've studied those manuals then you can better decide whether or not the Lee outfit will fit your needs. Best to get the horse before the cart so to speak.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    ^very good advice, Larry. A little knowledge goes a long way but a lot of knowledge goes even further. BC
    Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."

Boolit Master

See if theres a fourm member in your area to mentor you !

,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    I highly recommend the Lyman 49th, the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual, and the Beartooth website. There are also other good resources, but these recommended above are top notch. I also often refer to Lee's 2nd.

Whether you choose a kit, or buy one thing at a time, is largely personal preference. I started with a Lyman kit years ago, and there were things I never used or have since replaced, but I am not sure I would have learned that without experience.

Right now I have a rainbow bench -- a Lyman turret press, a Lee Perfect powder measure, an RCBS scale, and dies from all the major houses. Also a Lyman vibratory case cleaner.

Enjoy the hobby!
    Paul