MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Plumber's furnace

Banned

Plumber's furnace

Stopped by the DAV thrift shop today and there was an old, I presume< gas furnace there. It looked a lot like the Clayton and Lambert furnaces I've heard guys talk about on here before. No markings left and rusty, but it seemed like it could be made to work again. The "plunger" like what a white gas Coleman stove has to pump air in it was bad, the stem came out and there wasn't anything on the end of it to compress any air.

Are parts available for these? They only wanted $19.95 for it, seems like it would be really useful if it could be gotten working easily. I should have taken some pictures of it, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Stopped by the DAV thrift shop today and there was an old, I presume< gas furnace there. It looked a lot like the Clayton and Lambert furnaces I've heard guys talk about on here before. No markings left and rusty, but it seemed like it could be made to work again. The "plunger" like what a white gas Coleman stove has to pump air in it was bad, the stem came out and there wasn't anything on the end of it to compress any air.

Are parts available for these? They only wanted $19.95 for it, seems like it would be really useful if it could be gotten working easily. I should have taken some pictures of it, sorry.
    What would be the chance of converting it to propane? Might want to stop by a decent plumbing supply store and ask.

In Remebrance

The pump leathers can be made pretty easy. And if you have an OLD plumbers supply place in town or old time hardware they may still have some. $20.00 is kinda high for something that you can't even check IMO, but then, I'm really cheap.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    If the pump tube is the same diameter as a Coleman, leathers are available either on Ebay or from Coleman (yeah, they still carry them!).

Be aware that the old plumber's furnaces work well, but if you have the slightest leak they can be VERY dangerous. After the fount (tank) is pumped up use a spray bottle with water and soap to check for any leaks, especially around any control wheel seals. If any bubbling occurs, don't light the furnace until it is repaired. Always remember that you're dealing with pressurized gasoline, so treat it with respect.

Now that I've scared the living bejeebers out of you, why not look into a propane conversion like they do with the old gas camp stoves? You have a ready made stand, designed to support the weight of molten lead, so it should be perfect.

Boolit Buddy
    If the bottom of the pump shaft is threaded the pump itself (2washers, leather, and a nut) are probably in the bottom of the tube .
    Bret's right , they're not hard to rebuild.
    But the important part is the little spring loaded foot valve at the bottom of the pump. If this leaks under pressure gas can fill the pump and leak out of the top.
    Believe me, this will be a bad thing.
    The check valve can be rebuilt with a small piece of rubber gasket material.
    Needs to be the type not effected by gas though.

I have many of the old gas torches and have rebuilt most of them.
    Some say that they are not safe but I've been using them for just about 42 years now. And yes, I've had them on fire too.
    Keep your ABC handy.

Hope this helps.

Boolit Master
    Maybe you don't need the pump. My Coleman I've used for over couple of decades hasn't had a working pump in nearly that long. I just squirt compressed air from my air compressor into the the intake hole in the end of the pump stem. No seal, just hold it and squirt. Even being very leaky, its easy to get LOTS of air in the gas tank and works almost too well. I much prefer it to pumping by hand.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Banned

Think I'll pass on this one, I'mnot knowlegeable enough and have too many projects now. I like old tools and stuff, guess I'm quirky, but melting lead on something like this would be more enjoyable than on a new propane stove. I kind of figured the foot of that valve stem was stuck in there, and it looked enough different from the old Coleman stoves I've messed with that I doubted one of those would work. They'll most likely sell it to some antique buff who will just use it for decoration.

Add $10 and wait till wal mart puts the turkey fryer on sale that or bass pro.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Huntducks View Post
    Add $10 and wait till wal mart puts the turkey fryer on sale that or bass pro.
    Good advice, won't be as intriguing, but probably safer and better.

In Remebrance

I dunno, there's something about that 4" wide jet of blue flame 2 feet high that makes propane look kinda wimpy.

FWIW, I don't think they would convert to propane and work.

Boolit Man
    I have an old (preWWII) gas plumbers furnace made by Otto Bernz Company that my father had and still use it to smelt WW. It does require a lot of tinkering, but if you understand the principle it is a very simple thing to keep going. My dad and I use to sit around the pot and cast, which in hindsight was probably not the safest endeavors, but this was well over 40 years ago. I still keep this running as you can't beat it for quick melting and economical operation as even at the current price of gasoline, I can do 100# of WW with less than 1/2 gal of gasoline. When I start this up it brings the neighbors out to see where the jet engine is coming from. I wouldn't recommend getting into one unless you have some mechanical apptitude an are willing to tinker.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    No markings left and rusty, but it seemed like it could be made to work again.
    Rich, there are 2 parts on these plumber's pots that won't work with age or is broken and makes the pot a junker:
    * The orifice to the burner is gummed completely and cannot be cleaned out
    * The needle in the flame adjusting valve is bent - broken or missing
    All other parts can be fabricated with these old Lamberts

I tried to cobble 2 to get one to work and both had a completely gummed orifice - that nothing will unclog - rock hard varnish from the leaded gas
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Berryman's 'Chemtool'.........dissolves gasoline gum quite well. Available at well appointed auto supply houses.

Boolit Buddy

I have a old Clayton & Lambert, that is a flower planter now!!!!! Get a Turkey Fryer. Ron