Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: Porcelain smelting pot ???

Boolit Buddy

Porcelain smelting pot ???

OK I have got a lot of lead WW's rounded up for my first attempt at smelting and have been looking everywhere for a good smelting pot. Havent found anything in cast iron or heavy steel but I did find a 12 quart steel pot lined inside and out in porcelain. Will the porcelain coating present any problems for smelting. I really like the size of this pot for my needs.

TMC-OKC

Boolit Master
    I have not done that, but as a WAG would say that smelting temp is sufficient that the difference in coefficient of thermal expansion would cause the porcelain to progressively spall off. I don't see that as a problem as you still have a steel pot......

Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    See if they have one with out the legs though. If not just cut them off with a hack saw.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45-70 Chevroner View Post
    See if they have one with out the legs though. If not just cut them off with a hack saw.
    Why? Every burner I've ever seen has plenty of space to drop the legs through.

Boolit Master

look up D.CROCKETT hear he make's and sell nice smeltin pot's
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    Wills, I know about Harbor Freights cast iron dutch ovens. I already own two 12 inch ovens that I bought over 40 years ago and one 16 inch oven handed down from my grandmother that is probably over 80 years old. But I just cant bring myself to smelting lead in such a fine cooking appliance as that. Besides my venison stews, blackberry cobblers, and sourdough bicsuits just wouldnt ever taste the same and my hunting pals would probably die of lead poisoning or something dreadful or even go so far as to throw me out of camp.. I also still have the cream can and her "special cream rock" she tied to the singletree of the wagon to churn butter on long trips.

Boolit Buddy
    For not much money and a little welding, a rim or piece of pipe with steel plate is hard to beat. Be creative.... Here's my custom build.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=146065

Shad
    Last edited by shadowcaster; 04-24-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Added a line
    I believe in gold, silver, & lead, and the rights of free honest men... You can keep the "CHANGE"!

Shad

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by tmc-okc View Post
    Wills, I know about Harbor Freights cast iron dutch ovens. I already own two 12 inch ovens that I bought over 40 years ago and one 16 inch oven handed down from my grandmother that is probably over 80 years old. But I just cant bring myself to smelting lead in such a fine cooking appliance as that. Besides my venison stews, blackberry cobblers, and sourdough bicsuits just wouldnt ever taste the same and my hunting pals would probably die of lead poisoning or something dreadful or even go so far as to throw me out of camp.. I also still have the cream can and her "special cream rock" she tied to the singletree of the wagon to churn butter on long trips.
    Buy the Harbor freight ones. Wrap a wire around the handles and lift ring and tag both NOT FOOD SAFE or paint "no food" on it with orange paint.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I got a harbor freight cast iron pan set (3 pans) for $11.50 and melted down some range lead in the big one. Worked fine. You won't mistake this for a cooking utensil because there is a residual coating of lead left to tell you not to use it for food...I heated it over a Coleman stove.

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    I used a porcelain coated pot on one of those exposed coil electric hotplates. It would melt the coating slightly and stick. It made lifting the pot to pour out the last pound or two rather tricky as it finally released and sprang up. Be careful.
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

There the good stuff, and there is Harbor Freight. I wouldn’t suggest using a good oven or family heirloom.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw

Quote Originally Posted by shadowcaster View Post
    For not much money and a little welding, a rim or piece of pipe with steel plate is hard to beat. Be creative.... Here's my custom build.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=146065

Shad
    I think there was once a discussion regarding using a piece of drillstem about two feet long, capped on both ends and set horizontal with part of the top cut out.
    Last edited by wills; 04-25-2012 at 09:31 PM.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Why? Every burner I've ever seen has plenty of space to drop the legs through.
    I just personally don't like the legs, but that's just me. I guess if you like'em keep'em.

Boolit Master
    I recommend something heavy for smelting. Too much on the line.
    If you don't want to dedicate one of your dutch ovens to the silver stream, think about buying a Chinese one or converting a 20# propane tank to a smelting pot.