WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Scoping my .45-70 Sharps

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Well if you still have the short scope you could get a set of the DZ unertl mounts, but there again you'll almost be to the MVA A5 scope.
    Wonder why they haven't put those on the web site yet. They got the ad's running in BPCR news.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    Don,
    Just called DZ I can get a set of Unertal mounts and bases for under $500.00, so I think that's the way I'll go. Now just have to wait for my Income tax return!!!! They were really helpful, aand I go to Oklahoma city every 2 months for meetings so maybe I can even visit the factory...
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

I'ld make arrangements to take your rifle along and have Dan mount the scope while there.

Boolit Buddy
    Great idea Don. Since I fly out there in a private jet, there would be no problem with TSA !! NEver thought of that.. By the way.. No I'm not rich, I'm on the board of directors of the National Banjo Hall of Fame and American Banjo Museum.. That's the reason !! Wish I could afford the fuel that plane uses... 9 passenger jet Cessna.. Man what a way to go..
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Buddy
    I have the Malcolm long on a 32", and after about 3500 rounds is still without any problems. The mounts are not the best, but are ok, not outstanding. I replaced all the super soft screws on the scope and mounts with cap head screws, making it easier to get and keep all snug; however, not the quality of the MVA system. On my new 34" '74, have a Shaver rear, and it works well. Getting on target does not seem to be an issue with me so far, shooting well, as always, is a work in progress...

Boolit Buddy
    Abandon the Leatherwood mounts now.

I ended up going with a modern scope on my 45-70, at least for now. I tried the Leatherwood Malcolm on my Win-Mir 1885. They come with a firm front mount, with a heavy recoiler you need a Pope Ring to let it slide, the LW mount would hold the scope no matter how I tightened, and the rear base rattled loose every 3 shots, the screws are soft flat head and when the sad excuse for a dovetail mount system actually didn't rattle loose it pulled out of the dovetail.

I may eventually mount a period scope. Considering the cost of replacement mounts for a LW and the fact that the MVA can be had with a reticle that has dots for 2 mils of hold over I'm going with an MVA.

Boolit Buddy
    XTR,
    Good information, thanks for that..... I won't go with a modern scope but I sure won't go with the Leatherwood mounts either... All the best,
    jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Grand Master

Good thread and for me, timely as well. I've recently tried to get away from optical sights and have discovered peeps don't work very well for my aging eyes. Very good and valuable info, choosing the wrong equipment here can be expensive.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

MVA scopes!

IMO the elevation/windage adjustments on the MVA scope S U C K!! They need to do a helluva lot more nose picking and *** scratchin to improve their system!!

I've got one...but never use it!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Master
    I dont know Rick, love mine, course us Germans do much better with precision instrments then those Irish. After all we had to invent beer to help you out. The scope had to be a copy of the Malcom to make NRA rules and it does it well. Just no click adjusments.
    I have more then a small amount of experience with mine and success.
    Learn how to zero them.

PS one little secret, I had gibs installed on mine by Dave Casey of RMC.

KW
    The Lunger

A brother Mason, and Garbe was the other brother Mason that told me about them.

KW
    The Lunger

Boolit Buddy
    Rick,
    if your not happy with your MVA, let me know if you wanbt to sell it. I might be able to buy it.. Who know.s..LOL
    Jack

Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Installed item!

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Wasserburger View Post
    I dont know Rick, love mine, course us Germans do much better with precision instrments then those Irish. After all we had to invent beer to help you out. The scope had to be a copy of the Malcom to make NRA rules and it does it well. Just no click adjusments.
    I have more then a small amount of experience with mine and success.
    Learn how to zero them.

PS one little secret, I had gibs installed on mine by Dave Casey of RMC.

KW
    The Lunger

A brother Mason, and Garbe was the other brother Mason that told me about them.

KW
    The Lunger
    KW

"I had gibs installed on mine by Dave Casey of RMC."

Why???

Boolit Master
    Rick,

With the 23 inch scope at the higher elevations the rear ring tends to rock a bit, the gib installed on the right side keeps the ring from rocking, which can effect your elevation a bit. One has to get into the habbit of when pulling the scope back after each shot to center up the ring too, one of the malcom scopes limits, something to be aware of is all. Windage there are no problems with mine never has been. Mine comes back to zero perfect, they are not easy to read with most folks eyes but a magifier helps for some, Me just gota pull the glasses down and can read it fine. Since there no rules on the reticle I had a mil-Dot made for mine with the center dot some do not like it, their loss, as one can put the dot left or right of the X and get 1 MOA of hold off real easy. Subtending mils is easy once learned. Both of my long range scopes have the creedmoor Mounts on them. Jim Did this for me, Larrs does not like to or wont as the scope at the higher elevs is in a bit of a bind but not bad out to 1100 or so yards. as I never use even half of the elevation on the 23's. The 28's you have to have a special block on the front to make elevation for longer ranges 900-1000.

The scopes due to the design have their limits for sure, after all who would want a MKIV on their sharps?
    I will admit my 2 long-range and Silhouette scopes have the gibs, my 22 scope and slug gun do not. as they are not an issue at the shorter ranges. My 22 Sharps shoots lights out as Don can testify, no gibs on that scope. In the last 4 major matches I have shot that rifle, I won 2 of them, and placed in the top 3 the other two, Last year at Alliance I shot against and beat a 52 winchester and Martini Olympic both with big *** unertls on them, too win the match, with that MVA Ungibbed scope.
    Rick I am a stand up straight in your face kinda guy, badmouthing MVA's adjustments, frankly in this case you dont know Jack Zip.

The shorter scope takes less elevation as the shorter distance between mounts gives more elevation, the guy that said you need a real long scope for long range quite frankly does not have a clue what he is talking about and quite obiviously never has shot long range. I hate it when folks put out that kind of information some poor chap is liable to by a 30 inch scope and find out its good to about 400 yards Max.

I had #4 mount for quite a few years, JC taded me out of it and now resides on his desk.

KW
    The Lunger
    Last edited by Kenny Wasserburger; 04-28-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Gib???

KW

Are you talking about a Gibbs dovetail slot...like on a milling machine??

Take a photo of it for me please!

Boolit Master
    No I get a picture to you it just holds the rear scope ring from rocking.

KW

If I'm not mistaken didn't MVA just come out with new style elevation and windage knobs, that are calibrated and marked to give moa adjustment on their regular scope mounts?
    I have serious plans of getting one of those MVA winchester scopes this year.

For those interested:

http://hepman.com/dzarms/index.html

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    If I'm not mistaken didn't MVA just come out with new style elevation and windage knobs, that are calibrated and marked to give moa adjustment on their regular scope mounts?
    Yes MVA Target Knobs are easier to make fine adjustments. There are different sizes short or long scope, determined by mount c-c.

The new scopes are nice, but don't have as much travel as the DZ. I am about to order one also.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

I like my DZ mounts, but to get a decent slide ring setup for the Leatherwood is somewhat of a task. I wish we could just buy the scope tube from MVA.

Boolit Master
    Don,

I modified the Leatherwood front and put a long bar on the ring.

DZ says he's going to make one with a longer bar on the slider.
    A fellow shooter here has the same problem with his Highwall 45-70, slips out under recoil. He's waiting for DZ to send him one.

I think the new MVA is the way to go, cause by the time you get a scope, add the mounts, you have as much or more than the MVA. The MVA also has the option of reticle selection.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast