MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: 10mm molds

Boolit Bub

10mm molds

I would like to cast bullets for my 10mm auto Glock with LWD barrel Does anyone make a 200+ grn bullet mold with a gas check? I want to load the 200+ grn bullet at 1200+ fps and am concerned with leading. I can cast some hard bullets due to an ample supply of linotype lead.

Has anyone used the RCBS 200 grn mold for 10mm?? I know it is not gas checked but it is the only commercially available mold over 180 grns

I routinely load 10mm 175 grain to slightly above 1,200 fps (PACT2 chrono) with what is basically the new Lyman #2 alloy. The boolit is a plain base Lee design and I have no leading in either my OEM G20 barrel or its Lone Wolf version. I don't think a 200 grain would perform any differently. Boolits are sized to .401" and lube is thinned LLA.

Casting with pure Linotype metal makes some downright purty boolits. But for me that's a waste of Tin. Cut it with an equal weight in wheel weights and you'll get about 2% Tin in the final mix. More WW will lower the percentage of Tin proportionally.

Boolit Master

Why would you need a gas check for the velocities a 10mm will be pushing a 200+gr boolit? Normal loads for this boolit weight are under 1,200fps.

Boolit Master
    NOE also makes a 200gn mold for 10mm. Bevel base iirc.

Boolit Master
    I have three 10mm and shoot cast boolits through them exclusively.

As others have said, if your boolits fit you will not have leading issues at 10mm velocities with 200 grain boolits. I push 175 to max with no leading using water dropped isotope lead (same as ww alloy). Lately my standard bullet for most purposes is a 205 grain RFN from mountain molds.

If you want a gas check, see mountain molds website. He will cut one for you in a gas check design.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Moonie View Post
    Why would you need a gas check for the velocities a 10mm will be pushing a 200+gr boolit? Normal loads for this boolit weight are under 1,200fps.
    No they're not. "normal" loads as in the original Norma loads are 200gr at OVER 1200 fps. at around 37,500 psi.
    Marty-hiding out in the hills.

Boolit Master
    I have the RCBS 200gr bullet and I push it at 1250fps and have no leading issues using WW that is water dropped. Haven't had any leading issues with it so far.

Boolit Master
    I have the RCBS 200 grain and I have driven it to load book max with no leading problems.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

same here, I bought the RCBS mold because it was 200 gr. I shoot three 10's, a G20, a Kimber Target II and a custom 6 inch 1911 I built. I get no leading in any of these, i stay with the slower powders for this caliber, Longshot, AA9 and even 2400 will work.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Buddy
    Check this out.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=137668

Multi cavity, and you can have it how you want. (Checks, no checks and HP, too) I plan to get the PB and use Marlin's checkmaker with pop cans and swage them on the PB in the unlikely event I need a skirt.
    --------------------------------------------------------------

Young kid to old vet: "How do I know when it's time to take up arms?"

Old vet: "Well, you grab your rifle, load 'er up and go outside........ if you're the only one, it ain't time yet!"

Boolit Master

I push 150 gn TC (a GB custom from this site), plain base, 50-50 Pb-WW, BAC lube, sized .401 to max listed charges in my EAA Witness 10mm without any leading. Max charges for .40 S&W in Sig 2340 and my buddies S&W M&P, no leading.

Boolit Man
    Lyman 403168 is a 200gr which sizes down to 401. I use it in my S&W 610 (revolver) with great results. Driving it a little over 1200 with Blue Dot and is very accurate and perfect for pins. I'm not sure how it would work in auto loader, however as design will limit how short OAL you can get to fit magazine. In a revolver I can seat it out to just below the lube grooves.

Boolit Bub
    What should I size it to .401 or .402? I will be shooting them out of a LWD barrel in my Glock 20. I am giving up on the gas checked idea because .40 caliber gas checks are not very common.

I shoot bullits from a Lee 6 cavity mold, 180 grain, and never size them at all. Over 1200 fps all the time from a Colt and a G20.
    Free men own guns. Slaves don't.

Boolit Master

In one of my 200 gr molds, I had LBT cut one cavity as a GC. I have a total of 3 200 gr 10mm mold cavities, and I don't find any need for a GC. My PB PC bullets go up to 1250 fps second and leading has been nil in my Glock barrels.

No if I were thinking about max velocity with a 135gr, then a GC would probably start making sense.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BobinIL View Post
    What should I size it to .401 or .402? I will be shooting them out of a LWD barrel in my Glock 20. I am giving up on the gas checked idea because .40 caliber gas checks are not very common.
    SLUG your barrel and go .001-.002 over. Since I own a couple/few 10mm firearms I just size them all to .403 and shoot 'em.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

wow guys this is a 7 year old thread lol

Boolit Master

Hahaha

Sometimes that gets past the best of us!!

Still solid answers!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw