Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Lyman Mag 20 Bad Thermostat?

Question Lyman Mag 20 Bad Thermostat?

Hello to everyone. This is my first post as a new member to this forum. Been reloading since 79 and casting since 81. Just went down to the basement to resupply my stock of boolits and found the pot would warm up then shut down. Think my thermostat went south since my last casting session. I'm a marathon type caster, usually take a two week vacation in the winter and spend most of it throwing various boolits, make enough to last me a year or so. Anyway, the pot is a Lyman Mag 20 and I would appreciate any advice about changing out the thermostat or contacting Lyman to send it in for repair. Breaks my heart to have to (shudder) purchase boolits!!!! Thanks in advance for any assistance..................

Replacement T-stat

Quote Originally Posted by keeper89
    Hello to everyone. This is my first post as a new member to this forum. Been reloading since 79 and casting since 81. Just went down to the basement to resupply my stock of boolits and found the pot would warm up then shut down. Think my thermostat went south since my last casting session. I'm a marathon type caster, usually take a two week vacation in the winter and spend most of it throwing various boolits, make enough to last me a year or so. Anyway, the pot is a Lyman Mag 20 and I would appreciate any advice about changing out the thermostat or contacting Lyman to send it in for repair. Breaks my heart to have to (shudder) purchase boolits!!!! Thanks in advance for any assistance..................
    Keeper89 When I got my Lee 10# free the t-stat was bad (I guess thats why it was free) any way My Dad is a chef. (ret.) Had Comercial Kitchen supply
    Connection (he bought whole Kitchen equipment for Hi-end Country clubs
    Any way My Little brother took it to them and i got it back the same day
    they did replace the t-stat (4 freeeeee)
    I Don't know what they cost Prob. about $15.00 but check out a Comercial
    Kitchen supply house i'm sure they will have it. Mine was't anything special
    My 10#er Heats up fast! and holds a good temp..

I hope it helps...
    P.S. if one is not in your area. Pull yours out get the numbers
    http://www.pcappliancerepair.com They Can Get it for ya if only you get the
    make and #'s off it...

Good Luck
    chuck

Boolit Master
    chuck, take off the plastic dial on the theromstat, you should see a small brass screw within the handlle. TRy rotating it clockwise and check your melt with a thermostat. If temp goes up problem solved, if not then try counterclockwise. Sometime this works. If you do not see and decent temp increse then the thermo is definitely trashed. Hope this works. Frank

Banned

I have had to take my thermostat out many times over the years. The points get burned from repeated use. Being careful to not bend anything, the points can be filed with a point file or polished with some fine sandpaper on a thin piece of metal. Then the adjustment screw can be set. It does no good to adjust the screw with burned points.
    Lyman will send you a new thermostat and you can then clean up the old one for a spare.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Frank46
    chuck, take off the plastic dial on the theromstat, you should see a small brass screw within the handlle. TRy rotating it clockwise and check your melt with a thermostat. If temp goes up problem solved, if not then try counterclockwise. Sometime this works. If you do not see and decent temp increse then the thermo is definitely trashed. Hope this works. Frank
    Yea' frank I Understand But my lee dosent have that, Its a
    Cont. Type. (Bymetels Strip w/Pressure from the knob (Cam)
    Very Basic. It take a emery board to fix it (file contacts a little when they get pitted. ( My Lee is purty old 1960's )
    Meaders Kitchen on the Evangaline Thruway s-bound
    Replaced mine for me when it died. I know it didn't cost
    me anything (Friend of my Dad) But if I had to guess
    Hmm. $9.00 MAX w/knob.

I is gonna start Using a Spare Crawfish burner to make me a decent size smelter. 50 # - 100 LBs. Batch..

I Just gonna think about how i want it..

Take Care FRANK,
    Clad to hear the TS. DAVId Missed us..
    Well One More in thgulf already...
    Get Er' Done !

Chuck

Boolit Master
    Chuck, when I have to melt down a large amount of wheel weights I use a 8 quart dutch oven (cast Iron) and the afore mentioned crawfish boiler. Gets hot fast and you can melt a huge amount of wheel weights. Stand up wind or you'll never get the taste
    outta your mouth. Frank

Thanks!

Thanks for the input, guess I'll try the old contact touchup routine and see if I can get Lyman to send me a new thermo. Sure appreciate the info, never had to tear into a melter before. My first one was a Herter's! and when it crapped out I was sol for spare parts hence the Lyman......... Anyway, thanks again, you've made me feel welcome here and I appreciate it!!
    Lead.

I once decided to disassemble my Mag 20 for reasons I don't now recall. It disgorged about a bushel basket full of insulation. I managed to do whatever it was I set out to do, but I could only get about half of the insulation back into it. A word to the wise.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Frank46
    Chuck, when I have to melt down a large amount of wheel weights I use a 8 quart dutch oven (cast Iron) and the afore mentioned crawfish boiler. Gets hot fast and you can melt a huge amount of wheel weights. Stand up wind or you'll never get the taste
    outta your mouth. Frank
    Hmmm. Upwind sounds like exp. talking.
    I cleaned up aprox 200 # of that lino before i ship it out
    and decided that this would kill my Lee pot. So
    it time to make one, I took a ride to the salvage yards
    in lafayette (on Cameron) With all that oilfield scap.
    I can not make up my mind..Also i found a Oscilloscope
    over there pluged it up and it worked? and that thru my whole
    train of thought off and ran off on a tangent,,, hehhe
    Maybe i can draw up what i'm gonna do and get the parts.

It's good to here from ya. Frank
    I think huricane Cindy gonna miss us?
    You never know, My Brother wants to go shrimping today.
    well see.

Chuck