RotoMetals2WidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: S&W parts help - rear sight

Boolit Buddy

S&W parts help - rear sight

My dad has a mod 53 S&W - I think it is a K frame - 22 jet pistol. It needs a rear site assembly. Can I get a rear sight assembly from about any K frame or were they specific to that model? Numrich has rear sight assemblies for other k frames but they dont list many parts for the mod 53.

What do I need to know to select the right rear sight assembly?

Boolit Grand Master

There are 2 or 3 different blade heights, so you will need know the height of the
    existing rear blade. They did change the adjustable sights a long time
    ago and the old ones are very different than current, but if the gun is from the 50s or
    newer, I think that the main other issue will be where the mounting screw is located. I
    think they moved it at some point.

I have a very old K that has a very different rear sight channel and mount from current
    models, but I think it is more like from the 30s. I had to narrow the leaf and mill out
    the slot in the rear where the stationary nut goes to make a new style sight work.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    My reference book shows the #5109 slider, .146 high, as the one for the 53. As far as I know there have been 3 different styles of modern S&W adjustable sights. The first style required the mounting screw hole to be located and drilled for each individual gun. The second style (I believe what you need) looked like the first but those holes were standardized and came drilled for the particular leaf body. The newest design is used for the latest guns which are drilled and tapped for scope mounts. It isn't quite as simple as that sounds, but is close. Your M53 is a K frame and a savvy gunsmith or parts man can fix you up pretty easy.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by West Creek View Post
    My dad has a mod 53 S&W - I think it is a K frame - 22 jet pistol. It needs a rear site assembly. Can I get a rear sight assembly from about any K frame or were they specific to that model? Numrich has rear sight assemblies for other k frames but they dont list many parts for the mod 53.

What do I need to know to select the right rear sight assembly?
    Measure between the center of the screw hole and the center of the slot for the "T" part for the exlevation adjustment screw in the frame. If the distance is close to 1.75" then I can help you out. I have 3 rear sight assemblies; one empty, one with low blade and one with high blade. Let me know.

Larry Gibson
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 07-12-2012 at 01:32 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

You might verify the width of the leaf. My older K has a very narrow leave groove in the
    frame an I had to narrow a later model sight. The hole was in the right place tho.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks - guys.

I'll get over to dad's house tonight and do some measuring and get back to you Larry

West Creek

Numerich isn't listing any sight parts for a 53 because they are an extremely rare sight. Actually the sight height is what makes it rare, .136". The sight body, mounting srew/stud are the same as all the other k frames of that period (1960-1974).

[IMG][/IMG]

The early L frame revolvers also used the same sight bodly, blade & mounting hardware as the k frame revolvers.

A .146" sight blade will work but it isn't the correct sight for your model 53 22 jet.

I sold most of my s&w sights but I kept a couple of the rarer ones. I'll have to take a look & see if I still have a .136" sight & take a pic of it so you'll know what your looking for/at.
    [IMG][/IMG]

Boolit Buddy
    Well - I have measured my dad's pistol and the anchor screw to elevation screw does measure right at 1.75". The sight base groove is .28". Larry and Forrest - Any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated. Please email or PM me.

This 22 jet is a replacement for the one stolen from him 20 years ago by my brothers aquantance. His first mod 53 was purchased back in the 60's. It was the first gun I shot sitting between his legs at the age of 6 and also the first handgun I ever shot with any real accuracy. Hit my first 3" target with it at about 50 yards. Dad used to shoot black birds at 50-60 yards when I was a young kid. I never realized what a task that was until I learned to shoot a pistol myself. Dad rarely missed with that gun. I'm 44 now and dad is 75. It will be a great day when we can sit down try this gun out.

When he baught it this last week-end it had a protuberance of a scope mount on it. It attaches the same way as the rear sight. Has a groove very similair to a 22 groove base except that is has two "knobs" on the top. It shurely is some sort of scope mount but the gun came without scope. IT is definately a production part as it is marked S&W and a #2. If you guys can educate me in that one too it would be appretiated.

Thanks
    Charlie

Boolit Grand Master

The width of mine are .277 so it looks like they are the right base. Might wait for Forrest to post a picture as I'm not sure where the "heigth" is measured from on the sight slides.

Larry Gibson

sights part 1

A little sight history for S&W sights from the 50's to the change over to the rounded front sight.

Before S&W went to the 1 sight fits all round front sight for their revolvers. S&W used 3 different sight lengths for the N-frame, K-frame & J-frame revolvers.

The N-frame & K-frame sights are the same width (.277"), the difference is the length of the 2 sights.

The N-frame sight is 2.875" long
    The K-frame sight is 2.750" long.
    A K-frame sight sitting on top of a N-frame sight. Note the difference in length.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The k-frame sight is longer than the J-frame sight. The J-frame sight is easy to see with the flat wide bands on each side of the sight body compared to the serated line that are all the way across the K-frame sight.

A K-22 next to a 35-1 (J-frame) with another K-frame sight next to it, note the lines on the side of the J-frame sight.
    [IMG][/IMG]

sights part 2

To be able to measure a sight blade you need to move the sight blade all the way to 1 side.

A pic of a sight blade moved to 1 side with new mounting screw, new mounting stud & a new .160" sight blade to use as a reference.

[IMG][/IMG]

A pic of a new .160" sight blade.
    [IMG][/IMG]

sights part 3

To measure the sight blade that is all the way over just use a set of calipers. A K-frame sight with the .136" sight blade.

[IMG][/IMG]

The new .160" sight blade that is used as a reference to show how to measure a sight blade.
    [IMG][/IMG]

The sight I have with the .136" sight blade is the sight that was pictured in the post "Sights part 1". It is the sight that is sitting on to of the N-frame revolver. It is also the sight in "sights part 1" that is all the way over to 1 side so it can be measured. It is also the sight in this post that measured .136".

I hope this helps.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the pics and instruction....always nice to learn something new.

West Creek

Looks like Forest has new sights, mine is used. Makes no difference to me.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Buddy
    Larry

I sent a PM to Forrest. I understand you have sight blade that is the higher one which would function. If Forrest does not have one in correct size for sale I will gladly accept your offer.

Thanks
    West Creek

The .136" bladed sight I have is a used sight. It's in good condition with minor marks on it. The clicks from the sights detents are positive & the screw heads aren't all bubba'd up.

Her's a couple of pics of the .136" bladed sight.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm asking $50 for what you see pictured, this used sight, a new sight stud & new front mounting screw and I pay the shipping.

I do rebuild the K & L frame sights with the .160" high blade for 25yd & 50yd target shooting and .196" high blade for silhouettes.

Boolit Buddy
    SOLD Forrest
    PM Sent with contact info. PM me your address and I will send Funds

THankyou guys very much.

Boolit Mold
    any one else who has a rear sight for the SW 53 for sale... I am in need of one as well thanks