WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lyman Tru Line Junior

Boolit Buddy
    About 15 years ago I bought a Tru-Line Jr. from a fellow club member. It had been his father's and he was selling the reloading equipment for the estate. Interesting thing was he had both new and old style linkages so apparently Lyman sold parts to upgrade. What was really interesting was a letter from Lyle Kilborn describing how he had redesigned the linkage. Not sure if I spelled the name right. Also had a letter from Elmer Keith and 3 from Townsend Whelen. Wish now I would have made copies of those letters.

Boolit Buddy
    I like it when a TLjr post comes back from the dead.

I love mine. It was my Dads and has loaded countless rounds over the years!! I do mostly 38/357 on it, but am now resizing on a old Lee using normal dies. My 22 jet is loaded on it, and I will be using it to prime the cases for 30-30. My old Lee doesn't have a primer setup, and I like the feel of the TLjr for priming. Its realy a nice handy press to have on the bench. It cant do everything, but for a lot of jobs its just sooo handy to have!

Boolit Grand Master
    A favorite uncle of mine (who was the first enthusiastic reloader in the family) gave Dad and me his old TL Jr when he "moved up" to an All American. That first press is still bolted to our bench even as many other presses have come and gone. Not only is it still in occasional use, but I have a couple of others that are dedicated to specific calibers... I like to bolt them to a short 2X4 that can be clamped to the bench with C-clamps as needed. If I'm putting too much strain on it for the C-clamp to carry, I'm putting too much strain on it! Folks sit up and take notice at the range when I pull out my board mounted TL Jr (or Red Head™ Ken) and start loading something odd like a 32-40, 45-70, or even a 40-40 Maynard 1873, and they think I must be some sort of pro... at least until I start shooting!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Mold
    There's one for sale right now on EBAY for $69 plus shipping if anybody's still interested. The guy selling is even including the origional box that it came in.

Moderator Emeritus
    I run one of these and use the 310 dies in it.

I manly load rifle calibres and as the 310 die sets only neck size the lack of oompfff in the leverage department isn't an issue.

The 310 die sets tend have usefully sized neck expanders for cast boolits.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master DaveInFloweryBranchGA's Avatar
    What dromia said about the 310 dies also applies to cast boolits in pistol, so if the OP still has the 310 turret, I would buy a set of 310 dies and use those to reload 38 special to get a better cartridge.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    Attachment 116833
    I absolutely love how this thread repeats itself about every year and a half!
    More like every two years

I was given one by a friend. I have loaded 7x57 on it and all went well. I'm on a search for .45ACP dies so I can put it back to use as a semi progressive. I like the little thing.

The aftermarket Turrets with the large diameter holes for accapting the large diameter dies...one can get old Lyman Knurled top screw in adaptors to reduce them so they will accept the '310' Dies...

Kind of funny to do this, but, one can if one wants.

Boolit Master
    Bump.

Is the 310 thread the same as Tru Line thread,has there been changes?

I got a Tru Line press by accident,now I received a 310 tool set and the dies sort of look like having a finer thread than Tru Line turret body,the die goes in a little,then it wants more turning force than I'm willing to use. I could not measure them yet.

310 tong itself is easy to turn the dies in and out.

There may be a bit of rust or other crud in the turret threads. Most any solvent on an old tooth brush will clean out most of it. A bit of oil on the dies lets them thread in easier. You may have to use a bit of force to tread a die in the first time. This first time clears out the stuff deep in the treads.
    I have a 1st and 2nd Gen Tru Line presses. I like them. They work very well with the 38/357 and 44 loading I do. Being neck sized only I think they make more accurate ammo.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Thank you very much.

It must be a rust/cleaning thing then.

I got the press with other stuff and soon started to like it. My 310 is 358,this will make a nice , relaxed setup for my low tech summer place. With the 310 I can reload ammo in the hammock.

Boolit Grand Master
    Petander, I have encountered TL Jr presses (and even some 310 tools) that seem to be tighter than most... perhaps the tap was about worn out when these holes were threaded?? Anyway, with the exception of the exceedingly rare turrets and tong tools for the oversized dies (like for 50-70, etc) they should all be the same. I’m guessing with lots of cutting oil, running one of your more expendable dies in and out several times should clean up each hole for you.

Froggie

PS I’ve also encountered tong tools (but no TL Jr turrets) with extra small threaded holes for 25-20 SS and other small calibers, I only include this for the sake of completeness, not because I think it applies to your specific turret.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Froggie,

I took a closer look and there is some rust in the turret threads. It's such a delicate thread,I'll be extra careful.

I like your nickname : I have a frog tattoo,got it when I got married in the 90's. We have this frog thing,hard to explain...

Boolit Master

I've made the offer to others on here, I have a special made tap for cleaning up these old threads, just send me the part and I'll run the tap through it and return it to you.....
    Sorry .... I just noticed you're not here in the states, probably not a valid offer then ...

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    Thanks Froggie,

I took a closer look and there is some rust in the turret threads. It's such a delicate thread,I'll be extra careful.

I like your nickname : I have a frog tattoo,got it when I got married in the 90's. We have this frog thing,hard to explain...
    My Green Frog handle dates all the way back to the ‘70s when CB radios were popular here and I was driving a British Racing Green Austin Healey Mk I Sprite. We called them “Bugeye Sprites” but the Brits called them “Frogeye Sprites.” I thought Green Frog sounded better than Green Bug, so a handle was born. 45 years later it’s too late to change, even though I recently sold off the last of my Frogeye parts. “It’s not easy being green

Regards,
    Froggie

Banned
    Thanks for clearing that up, I had always wondered.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dsh1106 View Post
    I've made the offer to others on here, I have a special made tap for cleaning up these old threads, just send me the part and I'll run the tap through it and return it to you.....
    Sorry .... I just noticed you're not here in the states, probably not a valid offer then ...

Scott
    Thank you,

I have a machinist friend who can make such a tap if needed. Right now I'm oil soaking and then I'll see what a brass brush will do.

Banned
    The fine threads get clogged with dirt easily. A good oil and a bore brush spun inside the hole should clean the threads. If there is rust then re-tapping may be the only choice if you cannot get a die to thread in.
    The thread is an odd one, .6075"x30 tpi. Taps and dies are available but they will cost plenty.

Boolit Master
    I got them clean.

Lyman powder dispenser threaded part goes in the turret just fine but the 310 dies won't go past a few turns.

The thread parts are clean.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast