RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Max Trail Boss Load in 240 Grain .44 Magnum SWC??

I know this is an old post but here is the link http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

edited
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 04-13-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the information. I need to do so more work with that powder. Kind of got distracted by life issues.

Boolit Bub
    For all of my Mid Range & Hunting Loads with a 240- 250 gr Cast Bullet, I have great luck using either Unique or Herco Powders, They have taken down Whitetails, & even a Coyote or two, Droped them where they stand I was going to try some of the new powders that came out, But I thought, Seeing the Haz Mat Fees etc I said " if it's not Broke etc etc."

Boolit Bub
    Question,? has any one ever purchased the Hand Book Titled The complete Reloading Manual for the 44 Magnum Cartridge,? Saw it on E Bay foe Apx $12.00 figured it be a nice edition to check loads & compare with my other manuals etc.

ooops, 44 Magnum loads
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 04-13-2019 at 10:51 AM.

Boolit Master
    FWIW-Yesterday I shot a 1.44" 6 shot group from a bench rest with a recently purchased old model 6.5" .44 magnum 3 screw flattop with 7.0g of Trail Boss behind a 225g Lee custom .44 RNFP. The velocity chrono'd at 844fps with an SD of 16. The boolit had a hardness of Saeco 6 and was .430" in diameter OAL was 1.590" primers were CCI 300 and cases were WW. The cases extracted very easily, but were quite dirty with powder soot which I've noticed is characteristic of Trail Boss. This load APPEARED safe in my revolver, but may not be in yours.
    By the way, there was absolutely no leading after firing 30 rounds and emptying the box!
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Man
    Interesting post. I just took a friend out to shoot some of my 44 mag loads. I was using the same 240 gr SWC with three different loads, Trail Boss, Blue Dot and H110. I called them my "Plinking Loads" - "Mag Loads" and "Barn Burners". He called them "Fun Loads" - "Impressive Loads" and "Holy ****" loads. He is just getting into loading hand guns and I am trying to teach him that different powders make all of the difference in performance. The most accurate of the 3 were the "Barn Burners" but the others were pretty good too. He is working on some 357 mag loads so I am holding his hand a lot just so he doesn't have to make the same mistakes I did 40 years ago. I love teaching a new generation the art and science of hand gun loading!

Boolit Master
    I am usually a big fan of light or moderate loads, but to me Trail Boss is particularly light. My pet light load in my Rossi R92 44 Magnum is 7 grains of Unique with a 240 grain .431 Oregon Trail boolit = average 1150 fps.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought the one for 41 Magnum . I like it.
    Most of the published data for the cartridge of your choice is put into one book and comparing load between them is simple ... just flip pages back and forth .
    Contains data on cast , swagged, plated and jacketed projectiles . Not having to look through 6 different manuals is nice . If you don't reload for a lot of different rounds it's one way to save money on buying a bunch of manuals.
    The down side is you don't get any information that is normally found in the front and back of loading manuals...lots of good stuff is there if you are a beginner.
    The price is affordable so I think I'll buy a few more for my most reloaded rounds i.e. 45 acp , 38 special and 357 magnum... they wont replace my big loading manuals but add to them .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

is there data for the 255 gr lead semi wad cutter...all I found was
    240 grain bullets..
    keep on rolling along.no matter what happens just keep rolling

Boolit Buddy
    When my sister fell and broke her wrist ( shooting hand of course ) and the dr told her no more shooting for several months I came to her rescue . I loaded up some fairly light loads ( the 70% rule ) for her favorite , the 41 magnum using trail boss . She shot those for several months w/no problems to her hand . I believe it was Clint Smith that said his favorite load " everyday load " in the 44 mag was 8.0 grs of 231 using a 240 gr bullet for about 1000 fps . That performance figure will depending on barrel length , your gun etc . It is a nice load and a pleasure to use with plenty of power to take care of most what needs doing . Regards, Paul

Boolit Master
    So all you that are using Trail Boss are you using dippers and single stage presses? I bought a couple pounds of it and tried using the powder measure on my LNL and and also an RCBS and nether of them worked very well. I can’t see myself loading handgun on a single stage.

Boolit Master
    I load on a Dillon Square Deal B and use Trail Boss .
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12