Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Wideners
Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max Trail Boss Load in 240 Grain .44 Magnum SWC??

Boolit Buddy

Max Trail Boss Load in 240 Grain .44 Magnum SWC??

I understand that Hodgdon list 7.3 grains of Trail Boss as a max load in 240 grain cast SWC. I have loaded this and it is fun to shoot but, it seems rather anaemic. I know that I can switch to other powders however, I want to stay with Trail Boss, for now.

Does anybody here load above the 7.3 grains and find all is well?

Thanks
    Last edited by Southern Shooter; 04-22-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Trail Boss was designed for anaemic loads, so you aren't going to get high intenisty loads with that powder.

According to Hogdon's instructions, the maximum Trail Boss load for any cartridge is to fill the case to the base of the boolit. Don't crush the powder; breaking the donuts will change the burning rate.

If that gives you more than 7.3 gns, it should still be quite safe.
    Last edited by Norbrat; 04-22-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Get a more powerful gun if you want more power. Do NOT exceed max loads. Don't hot-rod it and get yourself hurt.

Boolit Buddy

Ruger Blackhawk

Not that this really matters, but if someone is wondering which gun these loads are being fired from it is the Ruger 50th Anniversary Flat-top Blackhawk.
    Last edited by Southern Shooter; 04-22-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    I tried a 45 colt load with 5.1 grains of Trail Boss under a 250 grain copper plated bullet. I fired it in my 460 S&W 8 3/8" revolver. It was very anemic. 561 fps average. It seemed like I had unburnt powder and it was dirty and smokey. I am going to try some max loads next (powder filled to the base of the bullet).

I also use the trail boss at 11 grains with a 280 grain cast bullet in 460 brass. These loads have a little recoil and burn the powder pretty good. I could push it to about 14 grains in that case.

I like win 231 in my 45 colt cases. It will give maximum performance for a standard load. My 45lc/231 load is around 1000 fps and does nicely. It isn't quite a max standard load. Some guns will run the "ruger only" load, which may use win 29/h-110, and will run at a higher velocity. I'm sure my gun would handle it, but I just run 460 brass to go that hot.

I also used win 231 in 44 spl and 44 mag cases for a ruger super black hawk, IIRC, and I know it was a single action. They were great light loads, but they were not anemic.

Mark your case where the bottom of the bullet would be, when seated, and fill up to that point with trail boss-give that load a try. If it is still too light, you will need a different powder.

I just ordered a 5lb jug of trail boss-so I do like it, but I understand it's limitations.

Boolit Master
    Somebody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this but doesn't Hodgdon say to fill to the base of the boolit and then use 70% of that as a max load. As in...not simply loading to the base of the boolit. Remember Trailboss is a fast powder. Audie..the Oldfart..

Boolit Master

Full case to bottom of boolit is MAX load.

70% of that is starting load.

Boolit Grand Master

If you want other than "anemic" you do not need to "Get a more powerful gun " as the 44 Magnum is fair to midland powerful. What is needed is a slower burning powder and more of it like 19.5 - 22 gr of 2400. For a good mid range load use 8.5 - 95 gr Unique with that 240 gr cast bullet.

Trail Boss is a bulky fast burning powder made expressly for "anemic" low end loads.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Grand Master
    Would you use a screwdriver as a hammer? A hammer as a wrench? The job is best done with the right tool. In this case, Trail Boss is the wrong tool. As Larry mentions, it is made for full-case, low-end loads. It was specifically designed to make for safer reloading in those big, old-timey Cowboy calibers like the 38-40, 44-40, and 45 Colt. A double charge of fast burning powder in an old collectible gun is something to be avoided, so Hogdon makes Trail boss big and fluffy, to fill the case without dangerous pressures. I recommend it's use to beginning revolver reloaders for exactly that reason. However, you are getting past the "babe-in-the-woods" stage and want to take the training wheels off.

You need to use a different powder. Alliant's Bluedot, and 2400, Hogdon's H-110 or H-4227, Accurate Number 9, Winchester 296, IMR 4227 and Ramshot Enforcer are all useful for 44 Mag top end loads. Myself, I'm partial to 2400 and H-110. But whichever you choose, you need to jettison the idea that there is a "one-size-fits-all" powder that will run from mild to wild. There are some that will cover the middle of the road well, Unique comes to mind here, but there isn't any powder that will be suitable for every application in a 44 magnum. LIght loads use different powders than Heavy ones. Choose the right tool.

Boolit Master

To the base of a 44-240-SWC, it takes 6.5 grains of T.B. to just touch the boolit when seated to the proper depth...

I use the 70% rule as a starting load...

Never had any problems going a bit higher than what the 70% rules calculates. But, I don't shoot the maximum charge in any of the calibers that I use T.B. in...

Good-luck...BCB

To the base of a 44-240-SWC, it takes 6.5 grains of T.B. to just touch the boolit when seated to the proper depth...
    If the above is the case, then why did Hornady list 7.3 grains as the top load? It would acording to the quote, be a very compressed load to say the least, yet there it is at the Hornady site. BCB could you may have been thinking about 44 special rather than the magnum version? Smithy.
    Salvation is through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and in Him alone.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by youngda9 View Post
    Get a more powerful gun if you want more power. Do NOT exceed max loads. Don't hot-rod it and get yourself hurt.
    He does not need a more powerful gun. He needs different powder. The OP is asking Trailboss to do something it was not designed to do. It makes a great target/cowboy action powder. That is what it is for. It's not H110
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    If the above is the case, then why did Hornady list 7.3 grains as the top load? It would acording to the quote, be a very compressed load to say the least, yet there it is at the Hornady site. BCB could you may have been thinking about 44 special rather than the magnum version? Smithy.
    If the pic posts, you will see that I have placed a 44-240-SWC on the top of the 44 Magnum case I use to measure Trail Boss for that particular load...

Note that the crimp groove is at the case mouth on the 44 Magnum case that is not cut off to the base of the boolit...

I put a piece of duct tape on the cut off case (cut at the base of the boolit to be used) and use the cut off case as a dipper. Fill that case with Trail Boss and dump it in a 44 Magnum case and seat the boolit to the crimp groove...

That is a maximum charge without compressing the powder...

The cut off case holds ~6.5 grains of Trail Boss...

I don't know where Hornady came up with the 7.3 grains as that would surely be compressed...

Good-luck...BCB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000_2139[1].jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by BCB View Post

I use the 70% rule as a starting load...

Never had any problems going a bit higher than what the 70% rules calculates. But, I don't shoot the maximum charge in any of the calibers that I use T.B. in...

Good-luck...BCB
    I'd say that's just about right....my "figuring" using a caliper, came out to 6 gr. with a 429421 bullet I cast that's 260 (258ish) gr...

Banned

when using trail boss you might think that the load is anemic.
    and the velocity most likely is.
    you need to remember that velocity and peak pressure are two different things.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    when using trail boss you might think that the load is anemic.
    and the velocity most likely is.
    you need to remember that velocity and peak pressure are two different things.
    Take some time to think about this and what Larry said.

Some powders work well for 800 fps, some at 1000 fps, and others at 1300 fps.

Do you own a tack hammer, framing hammer, and a sledge? Ever think about why? Powder is the same way.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
    I think people forget that the top load is for cowboy action shooting,in Oz there is a velocity limit when shooting at steel and the max limit listed will keep you under this,I shoot 5grns of TB in my 357 under 160grn SWC and that is over listed max but I don't shoot steel and the empties fall from the cylinder. Pat

Boolit Buddy
    Good advice here. Had just picked up some trail boss to try for my. 38 spl. Thanks
    "Failure to prepare is preparing to fail" - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    As of today I'm dropping back to 4grns to give me a bit more control during rapid fire,the 5grn loads will be for 50m deliberate only,3grns under a full WC is like a 22. Pat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    I think people forget that the top load is for cowboy action shooting,in Oz there is a velocity limit when shooting at steel and the max limit listed will keep you under this,I shoot 5grns of TB in my 357 under 160grn SWC and that is over listed max but I don't shoot steel and the empties fall from the cylinder. Pat
    I sort of doubt that would be the top load recommended by Hornady--althought it appears obvious it is in print someplace...

With my 6.5 grain charge of Trail Boss and the 240 grain SWC, I am getting 697 fps from a Super Redhawk...

I don't know what maximum velocity is for the Cowboy stuff, but I do know that 7.3 grains would be greatly compressed--that is in print to be a "no no"...

Although I have never tried compressing Trail Boss so I really don't know if there is danger in that process or not...

Good-luck...BCB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast