WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help With Hollywood Powder Measures

Boolit Master

Here is a pic taken with a poor quality phone. Like I said, it has deteriorated and I don't know if it is still functional.

Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Master

If anyone has a Senior Turret and needs a tie bar for it, or has a a B&M powder measure and is missing its brass cap, I know a machinist who is making replacements.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Buddy
    sell it to me
    im sure i can get it up and running

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    Here is a pic taken with a poor quality phone. Like I said, it has deteriorated and I don't know if it is still functional.

Boolit Master

Hollywood Automatic Shotshell Loader

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post

Hollywood Auto Press

Never have seen one, but I sure would like to buy one!

Proclaimed Rate- 1800 rounds per hour

This one is for shotgun. Most if not all ads and info are about the shotgun. Pressman may correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I came across something about an Auto Press for Metallic cartridges. May have been a rarity or maybe me just wishing. I will have to dig around.
    In 1961 that press listed for $575.00 The write up on its stated:
    "Here is a production turret reloading tool of speed, accuracy and durability, combining the perfection of material, design and workmanship so greatly desired by shotshell reloaders.
    Reloads 1800 shells per hour in a progressive, rotating system. Picks up its own shell automatically, the continues all succeeding operations....finally ejects the perfectly reloaded shell; all this with each smooth up and down stroke of the operating handle.
    ...Comes with Hollywood dies, new fully adjustable Hollywood Powder and Shot Measure with ample capacities for the largest shotshells. No charge bars and their extra cost, are required...."
    Jon

Boolit Buddy
    OKOKOK ill take it
    send me an email and lets negotiate the price

Quote Originally Posted by Roundnoser View Post
    In 1961 that press listed for $575.00 The write up on its stated:
    "Here is a production turret reloading tool of speed, accuracy and durability, combining the perfection of material, design and workmanship so greatly desired by shotshell reloaders.
    Reloads 1800 shells per hour in a progressive, rotating system. Picks up its own shell automatically, the continues all succeeding operations....finally ejects the perfectly reloaded shell; all this with each smooth up and down stroke of the operating handle.
    ...Comes with Hollywood dies, new fully adjustable Hollywood Powder and Shot Measure with ample capacities for the largest shotshells. No charge bars and their extra cost, are required...."

I seriously doubt the claim of 1,800 rounds loaded per hour, having used one for 2 1/2 years back in the late 1970's. That rate doesn't factor in loading hulls into the tube, primers, powder, shot and wads. It was certainly faster than most other machines available at the time, but not that fast.

Even with the modification done to our machine that automatically fed wads , those wads still had to be laid into the rectangular tubing on their sides, and the machine turned them upright and fed them into the hull, but it only held about 20 or 25 wads, if I remember correctly. The hulls also had to be stacked in the loading tube, and it didn't hold that many.

Don't get me wrong, it was a great machine, and I loaded lots of 12 guage hulls with it, but I never reached anything near that rate of production. In fact, I liked the machine, and it was way ahead of it's time.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master
    That 1800 rounds per hour is pure marketing hype. Just like saying a Dillon 1050 will load 1000 rounds per hour. That is assuming that you can keep your primers filled and bullet tray filled as well as cases. And of course no interruptions or mess ups.

The load rate is extrapolated from one "load" of whatever magazine runs out first. Usuallly the primers.

Boolit Master
    Kevin- Congratulations on your Auto Press!

I'm sure you will clean it up as good as your others.

Please let us see the "after" results.

Boolit Master

That 1800 rounds per hour is pure marketing hype. Just like saying a Dillon 1050 will load 1000 rounds per hour. That is assuming that you can keep your primers filled and bullet tray filled as well as cases. And of course no interruptions or mess ups.

The load rate is extrapolated from one "load" of whatever magazine runs out first. Usuallly the primers.
    When I was in the Army, we noted the same differences in our rates of fire: cyclic rate Vs. sustained rate...Mechanical Vs. realistic.
    Jon

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Roundnoser View Post
    When I was in the Army, we noted the same differences in our rates of fire: cyclic rate Vs. sustained rate...Mechanical Vs. realistic.

I like the way you put it better.

"Cyclic Rate"

Would anyone possibly want to sell their old Hollywood powder measure? I started out on one (borrowed) and would love to get another one like it. I think it was the third model. I have a Herter's model 40 in fairly good condition that I would be willing to trade. I would also trade brass (40 S&W, 9mm) or 40 S&W jacketed hollow points made with BT Sniper's improved CH swaging die.

Boolit Master
    MOcaster, welcome to the forum.

If you have no takers, Hollywood powder measures are consistently on ebay. They appear to start out and hang cheap, but close out a bit pricey.

Best of Luck
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hollywoodpmshroud.jpg  
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 01-13-2013 at 01:25 AM.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Buddy

Hollywood Auto Press

Never have seen one, but I sure would like to buy one!

Proclaimed Rate- 1800 rounds per hour

This one is for shotgun. Most if not all ads and info are about the shotgun. Pressman may correct me if I am wrong, but I believe I came across something about an Auto Press for Metallic cartridges. May have been a rarity or maybe me just wishing. I will have to dig around.
    This one tips my washroom scale at 55 pounds. It is set up for 9mm. This is the "AUTOMATIC" Model. There was also a "PROGRESSIVE". Sorry again for reviving an old thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1016141152.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	119333

Boolit Buddy
    One other note I forgot to mention... As you eagle eyed guys can see, the "AUTOMATIC" model was made on the "Senior" Press base.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracvision View Post
    This one tips my washroom scale at 55 pounds. It is set up for 9mm. This is the "AUTOMATIC" Model. There was also a "PROGRESSIVE". Sorry again for reviving an old thread.

Name:	1016141152.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	119333
    Howdy Tracvision, welcome to the forum.

As far as the press in the pic, does it self index with the pull of the handle, or do you need to index it by pushing the shell holder with the casing?

I have a 38 Special Progressive which looks identical to yours except for indexing handles on the shell plate.

The Progressive and metallic Automatics are the rarest of all Hollywoods.
    Last edited by LUBEDUDE; 10-17-2014 at 10:28 AM.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Boolit Buddy
    Howdy Tracvision, welcome to the forum.

As far as the press in the pic, does it self index with the pull of the handle, or do you need to index it by pushing the shell holder with the casing?

I have a 38 Special Progressive which looks identical to yours except for indexing handles on the shell plate.

The Progressive and metallic Automatics are the rarest of all Hollywoods.
    Lube, My press is the "Automatic" not the "Progressive". It self indexes the lower turret with each pull of the handle. Not only is it rare, but it is Mr. Corcorans Prototype, as is my "Super" Turret also.

BTW: Sorry for the delayed post. I havent been getting email notifications from the site.

Boolit Master
    That is awesome. I wonder if it was the only one ever made?
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

Kinda looks like mine

Name:	IMG_1607.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	120127

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by .50bmg View Post
    Kinda looks like mine
    50, I couldn't tell by the picture if yours was an auto or progressive. I then found some other posts by you that showed the indexer. It is definitely an "AUTO". I wonder how many of these were sold ???

Name:	AUTO.1.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	121536Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AUTO.2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	121537
    Harold
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

I know of one other that's set up for 12 gauge shotgun loading. It was owned by the Kern County Sheriff's Office (Calif.) in the late 1970's, when I was rangemaster. I took it to Reseda and had it converted to automatically feed the wads, and it put out lots and lots of shotgun shells. The person who owned the Hollywood name at that time was named Jim, but I don't remember his last name. His shop was in the back of a small industrial complex, and you had to contact him early in the morning, before he drank his lunch.......

I don't know if the press is still in the range house or not, since I retired in 1995 and haven't been back..........

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast