Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: One of you guys ought to know...

Boolit Master

Question One of you guys ought to know...

I have an old LEE bullet mold for my .357. The mold is C358-158 SWC

I want to get a sizing die and top punch for my RCBS LAMII. Does anyone know what top punch will work ? I'm thinking the #429, but I dunno for sure.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Mold
    THINK THINK THINK Why would want to size a bullet for your .357 to .429?????? What would your best possible guess be for the sizing die????? MAYBE .358 ??????

EDIT I'm sorry but I dint have any info on the RCBS LAMII. But to me it seems that you may get it off the RCBS web sight.

Boolit Master
    gns4me, I know it's late and I appreciate your answer, but I'm looking at the top punch, which has a number assigned to it, as opposed to the sizing die, which has a size...
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master

You can use a single flat nose punch for most of the flat nosed bullets you will have to size. This can actually work BETTER than a fitted punch (less likely to hold the bullet out of line when sizing). As a for instance, a flat nosed punch suitable for the .358" bullet can also be used for .44 and .45 bullets. Sure simplifies things...

Dale53

Boolit Master
    Thanks! I have several top punches for .44 and 45 boolets.... They're a bit big, but I suppose they can work. Can't get a new mold just yet.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master
    Either that or the # 495 which appears a tad bigger. What you will probably run into is the top punch will be cut flat and square and the the Lee boolit, I think, has about a 3 degree draft on the nose. Although you can line it up, and get it to work adequately, it will not be a perfect fit - but it will work. It will leave a work mark on the center of the nose of the boolit.

One thing I have done from time to time that does not seem to affect anything other than looks - slightly rounds off the nice sharp edge of the meplat - is use a round nose top punch. In this case a #311 (for the 358311) could work. I use that top punch alot for boolits that don't sorta fit anything else.

Now, if you get the one you're thinking of, and it is a tad tight, leaves a ring on the nose, whatever, chuck it into a drill and put a piece of fine grit paper over a boolit and spin the top punch on it to open it up.

About being a boolit caster - it brings out the tinkerer in us.... sundog

Boolit Grand Master
    Most of the Lee designs have a grease groove close to the nose and need to be pushed into the die until the nose is nearly flush with the top of the die. Keep this in mind when picking a nose punch. Dale 53's idea is a good one.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    Here's a picture of one of those Lee boolits, along with the RCBS 400 grain .480..
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ