Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Air Assisted Star Sizer

Boolit Buddy
    WYMANWINN...ok i offically hate you!
    my friends and family think it is so cool ( and i come from a line of hunters/loaders) that i ACTUALLY MAKE/LOAD boolits that i hunt and rec shoot with. and they use em too. they think my dillons and star are super cool. so, i showed em ur u-tube star video. all of a sudden, i am being looked at like i have dog ****e on my shoe! thanks a lot! i went from joe cool to the great unwashed.
    ROF....Retired Old Fart
    Lincoln freed the slaves, obama freed the terrorists
    the wishbone will never replace the backbone

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sergeant69 View Post
    WYMANWINN...ok i offically hate you!
    my friends and family think it is so cool ( and i come from a line of hunters/loaders) that i ACTUALLY MAKE/LOAD boolits that i hunt and rec shoot with. and they use em too. they think my dillons and star are super cool. so, i showed em ur u-tube star video. all of a sudden, i am being looked at like i have dog ****e on my shoe! thanks a lot! i went from joe cool to the great unwashed.
    LOL....
    Solvang Shootist
    SASS 60905-Life
    Frontier Cartridge Black Powder Shooter

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by wymanwinn View Post
    parts list:

6 x 12 x 12 "L" shaped stainless steel anchor plate (could be eliminated and the cylinder could be attached to the bench, but i wanted portability)

Grainger #4EY75, IR Foot Pedal Valve 4way-2position (did not use the guard)

from McMaster-Carr www.mcmaster.com/#

1 - 8812k32 air regulator
    2 - 45045K48, flow control valves
    2 - 5779K157, tube fitting swivel ell, 3/8tube to 1/8mips
    20' x 5112K65, 3/8 flexible nylon tubing
    1 - 6498K872, stainless steel cylinder, pivot mount, double acting 1-1/16" bore x 9" stroke
    1 - 6498K647, rod end
    1 - 6498K72, pivot bracket
    1 - 6071K14, forged clevis rod end
    1 - 8924K33, 1045 carbon steel rod, 3/8" dia x 72"long (still have 60" left)
    2 - 6391K403, bronze sleeve bearing, 3/8" od x 5/16" id x 1/4" long (to bush the forged clevis end to fit 6498K647)

the forged clevis rod end was attached to the 3/8" rod (threaded the rod to accept and used red locktite to secure) end with a slight bend to allow for the cylinder to hang vertically and parallel to the Star...the center of the end of the forged clevis end was set at 4.5" to the center of the actuator arm shaft on the Star...the end of the cylinder was set to full extension when the actuator arm was in the full up position...

i will post a link to better pics and video when i get a chance...

wyman
    I just received part of my McMaster order today and I need some help figuring out what went wrong.

The pin from the "6071K14 Forged Clevis Rod End, Steel, 3/8"-24 Female Thread Size, 2-1/2" Length" measures .369" and the
    6498K647 "Rod End for 1-1/16" Bore, Stainless Steel Air Cylinder" has a hole that measures .303"

Did I order one of the wrong parts or was something incorrectly shipped?

Edit: I think that I just need to find a new 5/16 clevis pin to make this work.
    Last edited by kayak1; 10-16-2013 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Thought of a way to make what I have work.

Boolit Mold
    Kayak1,
    How did the parts work out?
    I am going to order parts in the next few day.
    Thanks,
    Rich

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by RDP View Post
    Kayak1,
    How did the parts work out?
    I am going to order parts in the next few day.
    Thanks,
    Rich
    The parts worked out well, I am still attempting to get the feeder to be 100%. I got a little distracted with getting the master caster working thus I haven't done anything with the collator in over a month.

You might just add a 5/16 clevis pin to your order.

Boolit Mold
    Kayak1,
    Thanks for the help.
    I know the feeling my master caster is still in the box.
    Rich

Boolit Buddy

My hat is off to wyman (my hat is not as nice as yours is wyman) . I want to thank you for sharing you design on the air assisted Star. I copied your design and have built a wonderful machine. As you will see in video I did change the air flow controls. For me in my case they seem to work better flowing through the valve in this direction. Seems like easier to adjust. Now hoping to have automated some day soon with Hatch's help. You both deserve a round of applause for all the advancements you guys have made, and with the input of a lot of otherguys also. Thanks to everybody I have a great machine. jroc

https://youtu.be/CDNQTMTAZQ0
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,

Just a couple of questions. If I have a 20 gallon compressor, how often will it kick on? Is that CFM?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    Just a couple of questions. If I have a 20 gallon compressor, how often will it kick on? Is that CFM?
    don't have a clue Howard....depends on your actual compressor output in CFM and the number of strokes of your sizer cylinder per minute....

that said, my compressor is an 60 gallon vertical with a 22cfm compressor head at 175psi.....

wyman
    Solvang Shootist
    SASS 60905-Life

Did I miss a schematic in the pages of this thread? I am ordering parts to do this and have a rough idea how it should be plumbed, but would appreciate a schematic to be sure.

Parts have been ordered. More questions later I'm sure.

I got the cylinder specified. I measure 4.5 inches from the center of the clevis pin to the center of the handle axle, right? To get the proper amount of travel.

ADMIN

Howard,
    Your 20 gal compressor will work but it will depend on your cycle rate.
    I know my pancake compressor will not keep up when I am sizing 30 boolits a minute. (2 second cycle).
    I am not sure on the measurements right now.
    My stuff is all apart from my move.
    Moving sucks
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    I got the cylinder specified. I measure 4.5 inches from the center of the clevis pin to the center of the handle axle, right? To get the proper amount of travel.
    4.5" sounds about right....you just want to adjust so the arm gets a full stroke up and down...may need some fiddling....i can measure for sure when i get home...

wyman
    Solvang Shootist
    SASS 60905-Life

Well. I got it all mounted and plumbed. Didn't realize the flow control valves were sent completely closed until I stepped on the pedal and nothing happened. I made sure I was getting air, but nothing happened. I checked the flow control valves by getting an allen wrench out and started turning the adjustment and the cylinder started slowly raising the handle. I adjusted both until the handle moved at a reasonable speed. At the 4.5" measurement, it wants to pull down just a little more. This was just a test without bullets. I think it will be fine at this setting.

Boolit Master
    I think one of these will be next on my to-do list. Hand sizing with a lee sizer takes quite a bit of time, especially when you do quite a few in one sitting.

The star sizer by itself is a big improvement over the lee sizers. If you do add a pneumatic cylinder to the mix, make sure you get the bullet feeder to be safe.

Boolit Master
    Oh yeah, i'm not going to go manual with a potential finger punch!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234