Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AA#5 and Unique

Boolit Bub

AA#5 and Unique

I've got a powder burn chart that says Accurate Arms #5 is just a bit faster than Unique. But, I was looking at Accurate Ams load manual #2 and they say that AA#5 is slower than Unique. Anybody know for sure one way or the other? Zack

Boolit Master

Any of my reloading info shows that you can use more AA#5 than Unique for just about every boolit listed. I've just loaded a few .45 LC with a Lee 200 grn FNRP with AA#5 and haven't touched one off yet but soon I hope. The Accurate load data shows these with 12 grs of AA#5 and no way I'd put that much Unique in them.

Boolit Bub
    No, I wasn't concerned about the grainage, or, how much powder I could pyhsically cram in a case, but rather the 'actual burn rate'.

I have shot lots of AA5 and find it to be a hair slower than Unique.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Bub
    Ahhh, thank you sir. That's what I was hoping somwone would say. Zack

Boolit Master

I would caution you that as the cartridge you are using it in changes, so does the powder's place on the burn rate scale. Not a lot mind you, but maybe 3 or 4 places on the chart in some instances.

Boolit Master
    I have some pull down powder that acts pretty much like Unique in 38 special but a lot like Bullseye in a .45 ACP. There may not be any commercially available powders that vary that much but always be careful what you are doing and don't expect too many things to be set in stone. -- Bill --

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by zack View Post
    I've got a powder burn chart that says Accurate Arms #5 is just a bit faster than Unique. But, I was looking at Accurate Ams load manual #2 and they say that AA#5 is slower than Unique. Anybody know for sure one way or the other? Zack
    The latest burn chart I've seen shows #5 as slower than Unique. There are 11 powders between them! Unique is 41 and #5 is 53. FWIW, where I use both, #5 acts slower to me also.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you." Joe Heller

Banned

i use aa5 and herco interchangably for loads in handguns.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Caster View Post
    I have some pull down powder that acts pretty much like Unique in 38 special but a lot like Bullseye in a .45 ACP. There may not be any commercially available powders that vary that much but always be careful what you are doing and don't expect too many things to be set in stone. -- Bill --

This is a situation where ignition characteristics are completely different between two different powders. This is a reason to be cautious when choosing between two powders on the charts which are next to each other. ... felix
    felix

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    i use aa5 and herco interchangably for loads in handguns.
    I have found Herco just a tad bit slower than #5. I reduce my Herco loads 2% when I use #5. BTW, #5 is my favorite in a 45ACP, with all bullet weights.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master

I recently have been working with the 452490 boolit in my Blackhawk 45 Colt…

9.5 gains of Unique = 873 fps…

10.0 grains of AA#5 = 759 fps…

So, that indicates to me that AA#5 is slower, at least in this application…

But, many burn-rate charts don’t show this to be the case…

Good-luck…BCB

Boolit Grand Master

I usually use AA #5 in place of Unique because it meters better and the burn rate is just a hair slower.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I am looking for a 44spl Skeeter load duplication using AA5 instead of Unique. Anyone out there got some data?
    Some where between here and there.....

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    I usually use AA #5 in place of Unique because it meters better and the burn rate is just a hair slower.
    That's why I'm wanting to change. Unique's just a bit on the fast side for what I'm doing but the big reason it that on a humid day my Hornady measure will hold back on one case and overfill the next. AA #5 looks like a good alternative and I've heard it meters well. Zack

Quote Originally Posted by zack View Post
    That's why I'm wanting to change. Unique's just a bit on the fast side for what I'm doing but the big reason it that on a humid day my Hornady measure will hold back on one case and overfill the next. AA #5 looks like a good alternative and I've heard it meters well. Zack
    AA#5 is a squashed (flattened) ball powder. It will leak out of a lee perfect dispenser. It meters perfectly out of my dillon SDB. It is my favorite for 45acp.

As for burn speed, I believe it is slower than Unique. But I think AA#5's density is more important than burn speed. It is easy for me to spot it in a 45acp case and a double would be very apparent.

Pick up a pound and give it a try. If you want slower, there is AA#7 and #9 - both are squashed ball as well. The AA-series will cover you from 45acp to 44mag.

Boolit Master

Anyone ever try AA#5 in a 30-30 reduced velocity cast load? I'm running out of Unique & can't find any, but have a bunch of #5.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Accurate #5 is all I use in .38 Special. It spanks Unique in every category except price and availability.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    this is the most current Burn Rate chart that I have found, has all the powders that I use on it

https://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Clum I have burned a few pounds of #5 over the years. I even still have have a little of the old #5 in the back of the shelf. I have always liked it as it meters so well, but in larger volume cases I still prefer unique. I actually prefer unique in Evey applicable load where #5 fits, but it Meters so well I usually use it in small cases such as .380. I have however used it in just about everything at one time or another and it is a fantastic powder. I'm not really sure about position sensitivity with it though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast