Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: ??'s Forming 43 Spanish Brass

Boolit Man

??'s Forming 43 Spanish Brass

I have been itching to shoot a Rolling Block in 43 Spanish and had read or heard that the brass can be formed from 348 Win. Well I got some 348 Brass and a set of Lee 43 Span. dies and quickly discovered that this is not a one step process. Does anyone have a procedure that they use to form this brass? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Boolit Master
    Sorry, lazy as I am If it aint as easy as making the 7tc/u or 35 whelen ,I no longer get involved. Maybe a price tag on that gun will help you get some FREE time.

Boolit Master
    Rikkit,

Unless you have an unusually fat chamber, .348 brass is a little too thick at the base. People used to turn a shave off the base just ahead of the rim and then size it and fireform it to a somewhat short .43 Spanish. I use Bertram brass, which doesn't need the extra operation.

Boolit Buddy
    I just checked page 349 of "CUSTOM CARTRIDGES" by Ken Howell. " Use recently manufactured .43 Spanish brass. Or form from either .43 Mauser or .43 Spanish Basic brass in respective RCBS form-and-trim die". Do a goggle search for Huntington Reloading supplies. They have an on line catalog. Look up to see if they have the brass Ken mentions in his texts. http://www.huntingtons.com/ 2067A is the item number you want for the brass. It is 39.95 for 20 rounds of brass cases.
    Last edited by 3sixbits; 04-07-2007 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Found item.

Boolit Grand Master
    Rikkit,
    I tried the same thing, how many shellholders did you break? When I bought my Argentine Rolling Block the guy I talked to at Track of the Wolf said the chamber would need reaming to use 348 brass; my rifle was in too nice a shape to alter it. Buffalo Arms has brass that is reformed from 348 Win; I went that route it doesn't appear to be outside turned. The case head itself is also altered to make the rim thicker.

I think you will need some very heavy dies and a hydraulic press to easily convert 348's to 43 Spanish. If you find an easy way be sure to let me know.

Good luck and keep us up to date,

Robert

Super Moderator

...............Very true, converting 348 Win brass isn't a casual afternoons undertaking. Either buy Bertram brass, or Buffalo Arms' altered 348 Win stuff. It used to be common to merely run a 348 reamer just slightly into the Spanish chamber then fireform. Midway puts Bertram 43 Spanish on sale a couple times a year. On sale it's running $27/20.

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Man
    Gentlemen, thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge concerning this conversion, I think I will pursue purchasing the correct brass and use my time for casting more bullets.