Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: MiHec 30 Sil brass four cavity solid

Boolit Master

Am I the only one not having trouble getting bullets to drop easily? About half the time all 4 drop when I open the mold and the other half a really light tap gets the one or sometimes two to fall. Doesn't seem to favor one side or the other. Lead temp is about 700 and the sprue takes 3-4 sec to turn "white". I swing the sprue plate by hand and the bullets fall out. My alloy is range lead with about 2% pewter added. Bullets are not frosted. At least that's the way I do it and it works for me.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Banned

Must be nice for them to drop like that.

My cull rate is way over 50%. Part of the reason is because of having to beat the handles to get them to drop. Right above the lube grove edge is very distorted from hanging up. I even tried to smoke the cavities. It worked for about 3 cast then right back to smacking the mold. They dropped out with the smoked cavities a little better but not perfect.

This boolit has been put on hold until I can figure out what to do with the mold. I think an aluminum mold option is needed instead of just brass.

Boolit Master

As I have not used the mold yet, what about, O what is it called when you spin the boolit
    in the cavity with some grit to polish the cavity?
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED333 View Post
    As I have not used the mold yet, what about, O what is it called when you spin the boolit
    in the cavity with some grit to polish the cavity?
    You ain't using it cuz its sitting on my bench right now!

I'm in lofe with the bullet itself but I'm not impressed with the mold. Rejection rate is high. I'm having a nightmare of a time getting the thing to release. The two farthest away from the spru hinge refuse to fall from the left side without pecking the fire of my handle hinge and lots of swear words.

I may be wrong but I think the lube groove is to blame. For a groove this deep, it's too square. A radius or angle inside the groove would have helped a lot. It's my opinion the sharp square corners are causing the bullet to cling on for dear life.

It's a good thing I really like the bullet, else I'd be quite bitchy about it. I can't find an alloy that will fill out at any temp with simple ladle pouring. I've tried Linotype, COWW and even dead soft. I have to pressure cast with a ladle. Now, I will say, pressure cast COWW, air cooled, is making some darn nice bullets. Too bad it's so labor intensive. Oh well, pay to play baby!

Boolit Master
    The mold fills out fine for me using 50/50 lino/COWW at 675 degrees in a bottom pour RCBS pot. I run the mold hot and get a slight frosting on the boolits. The boolits are very well filled out and Hornady GCs are a good snap fit. Getting the devils to drop from the mold is a problem for me. I did get a good sized pile in relative short order -- just hate beating on the handle bolt.

I will shoot some this weekend.
    ph4570

Boolit Master
    This morning is going a little better. Using straight COWW but I'm running hot enough that they are frosting a little. Perfect fill out but the front most cavity refuses to drop free without several licks from the mallet. I've taken to running it like a three cavity. The rear three cavities are cooperating well enough.

Boolit Master

Take your time with the mold as it will be a few weeks before I get out that way.
    As I have not loaded any of the last you did, I am in no hurry, make what you want.
    If you have time, make me some.
    Be Safe Bro
    RED333
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Banned

Please post up if you are having problems with this mold dropping boolits out.

Boolit Master
    Tomme is this the same mold that is currently running from Mihec? Do you know if there have been changes to the new mold to help it drop its bullets easier? Kevin

Banned

The heavy version has tapered lube grove. So I don't know. That will be his first run of that one as this was the first version.

Boolit Grand Master

I sold mine for two reasons. Main reason was I picked up the three cavity hollow point version of this bullet. I can cast solids w/ that mold. Second reason was the sticking bullets. I would be lying if I said it didn't drive me nuts. This was the only Mihec mold I had that wouldn't rain bullets. It had such a small sweet spot and I couldn't nail it down.

Boolit Buddy
    Am not using mine-had to give up and rethink. I have about 20 molds-have been able to figure out there ways. I really do not like beating on the handles to get bullets to drop with this mold. Really do not know what is next.

Banned

Has anyone tried to Lee ment one yet?

Boolit Buddy
    With the case of one NOE mold ding on sprue plate-I have never had to fiddle with the NOE-MIHEC-Accurate molds. Anyone have any suggestions on this one?

Boolit Buddy

Wow. Thought it was only me having trouble with this mould dropping.
    Valley Forge

Vendor Sponsor

I still have some of this molds.
    PM me if you want one...

Boolit Master
    PM sent MiHec. I want one.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213