Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30 30 mold

Boolit Mold
    Im using wheel weights in the Lee 150 grn. gas check and am clustering 5 bullets in a 2" circle at 50 yds. Thats with IMR 4198 at around 2100 fps. .309 mould, am quite happy with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    311-466, sized .310 over 17.5 grs 2400 is excellent.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I've told this story before. I have a Marlin 30-30 that would not shoot a 3 in group at 50 with ANY commercial cast (more like 6" groups at 50). I tried on and off for 2 years with about 10 different type/brand commercial cast and a bunch of different powders. This devils spawn just wouldn't shoot. I couldn't/wouldn't even sell it because it wouldn't shoot. I hated this rifle.

I finally bought a RD 311.165-RF bullet mold (my first time casting) and the darned gun printed the first 5 rounds at and honest inch. I had only successfully cast 30 usable bullets for that day (out of 150 that were culls), but, all 30 were used in shooting the center out of my target.

I now LOVE that rifle because it shoots the RD's like a champ.

That was a couple of years ago, but, it caused me to always advise people with Marlin Microgroove barrel 30-30's NOT to give up till after they tried the RD bullet. Turns out that Marlin Microgroove barrels are Ranch Dogs specialty.

just my 2 cents... rc
    Last edited by rhouser; 05-25-2012 at 06:28 AM.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I just cast my first from a Ranch Dog mold this past weekend and am very impressed so far. I have hated Lee molds in the past and swore I'd never mess with one again, but had never tried a six cavity and after the first pot, that thing is a joy to use.

The Ranch Dog design looks good. I mainly wanted a deer hunting bullet, and I'm sure it's terminal performance will be great, but if it's reasonably accurate, it may become my standard bullet in .30s.
    I had the same opinion about most of the Lee two cav moulds. My mentor told me, "the six cav moulds are a completely different animal." So far he's right. I just wish they offered everything in a six cavity.

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it

Boolit Grand Master

Wink

I'm in on the GB for the 311041 but Michael owes some of you a thank you. I couldn't wait and ordered his 311-165 w/ all the extras. Just wish he carried gas checks. The 336 in 30-30 is aways down my project list but this thread has been fun. Thanks!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12