Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breachin rounds

Boolit Master
    you could use the same wads they use for steel, or other hardened loads a shotcup with no open pedals. if you leak a tiny bit of sand your toast tho when you shoot. try the tiniest shot you can find with wax bonding techniques that would do great

" You don't want to use something that is going to glue the column to the hull. You can exceed maximum pressures in a shotgun just by adjusting your crimp too deep on an otherwise perfectly safe load so i would imagine that a wad column glued to the inside of the hull would raise pressures significantly"

That is a very real concern! I didn't explain my idea very well. I was thinking of casting the poly-resin in a wad with shot in a different hull (maybe spray it down with Pam or something so the resin won't stick), let it harden, and then remove it, verify the weight, and THEN place it over a powder charge.

I was thinking it should work something along the line of the Lee slugs--basically just a slug you fire from a shotcup.

But thanks for that important safety note. If you hard-glue the wad to the hull, or gunk up the cushion section, you could be asking for some catastrophic pressure.

Boolit Master
    wax will not glue the wad to the shell

Boolit Master
    I have shot a fair number of wax slugs through my guns, i believe they would work great as a breeching round and i would hate to see what they might do to a live target. A standard trap load in wax will punch through 1/2" plywood at 75 yards in our tests, i have no doubts as to what it would do to a door lock or hinges. When my oldest brother was trained in the USAF he told me they used plain old unmodified no 8 shot to take any door off at the hinges or blow the strike plate out, he says they never had an issue with a shooter being harmed, obviously safety glasses would be a good idea, and over penatration would likely not be an issue with birdshot.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Banned
    Go to the local machineshop and get some iron filings/shawings fron the big saw.
    Pop the top on some 7/8oz trap loads and reseal after swapping contents.

Boolit Buddy
    Compressed lead was used for breaching rounds. Now alot of them are compressed Copper or copper Tin powder. Corbin sells the powder. It isn't Toxic. I would just compress some #12 or lead dust mixed with graphite powder in a cylinder, and use that. Defintely wear Eye protection, and probably Gloves if you shoot the into a Door.
    G

Boolit Master

I don't know what was in the ones we used, but it I were trying to handload an equivalent I would just use #12 shot and be done with it. LE uses manufactured breaching rounds because of liability, not because they do a better job than a shotshell.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Banned

same OO buck im going to be using on the other side!

http://www.gunloads.com/castboolits/...d.php?t=110109

I had the same idea and built some just for kicks. I used the dusty slag from smelting wheel weights and melted wax from a candle into when it was 1/3 full, 2/3 full, and then when it was all the way full. I used a light charge of Red Dot. It was fun, and I even loaded a couple of shells with small sprues and wax and got some interesting results. When I was melting wax into the shot cup I wrapped masking tape around the wad to keep the wax from running out and then removed it after it had cooled. I shot all of the rounds I had loaded since I really had no use for them other than knowing that it could be done. Also, after I had loaded some I asked several ex-military guys what they used to breach doors in Iraq and they all said 00 Buck out of a Mossberg 500.
    "The three things most dangerous for an outdoorsman's health are cigars, logging trucks, and know-it-alls." -Pat McManus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12