Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breachin rounds

Boolit Buddy

Breachin rounds

I want to qualify all before I start:
    Don't respond, just buy them. I am a tinkerer, and I want to make them.
    Don't respond i don't need them. I don't need alot of things, I want them.
    I start this way because another site didn't bother to answer my questions, but did "scold" me.

What is in breaching rounds? Has anyone made any?

I have messed with some and I know it's powdered something.

I want some just for the hell of it. Besides, I have a door on my shop that is getting replaced soon.....
    Come and take them, Boolits first.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Buddy
    Could be a slug of what we called Woolts metal, in the machine shop, it melts at around 158 degrees, and if you hit a chunk of it with a hammer a good portion of it would splatter, I think it's the same stuff they used to use in the old gallery 22 cal rounds?

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by steg View Post
    Could be a slug of what we called Woolts metal, in the machine shop, it melts at around 158 degrees, and if you hit a chunk of it with a hammer a good portion of it would splatter, I think it's the same stuff they used to use in the old gallery 22 cal rounds?
    I cant find any info at all on woolts metal.
    Come and take them, Boolits first.
    Zombie hunter, Lic# 3006

Boolit Master
    could you use #12 shot and some glue like a rubber cement and pack it into forms then push from the form into a shot cup when it hardened

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by steg View Post
    Woods Metal ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood's_metal

Did you see this on the Box O Truth? He has one cut apart.
    http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot25.htm

Boolit Master
    I would wonder if Zinc WW filings would work???? You'd have to hold it all together with a tight overwad card under your crimp......(hmmmmm...... I have a file......AND a bunch of zinc WW's!!!!!

Dan

I saw a video once where they were testing all types of specialty shotshells and they said the breacher rounds were loaded with powdered soft lead.

Boolit Bub
    Would that be something like the "powdered lead" that is used for balancing semi tires inside the tire?
    Gun control = hitting the target!

I have tried some "white trash workshop" frangible shotgun shells recently using an idea off of youtube . Basically just take cheapy target field loads cut them open and take parafin wax / crayons. melt with the shot and put the mixture back in the shell and cap off with a layer of wax.
    They were pretty accurate on paper for me at 30 yds. ( I didn't get a chance to try further). I was wanting to try some fun " reactive Targets like the video shows but the range on post would frown upon that.

Admin Note: the quarter on the target was not harmed. I added it for a size comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfbrP7ujerE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bad day.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Most police and military use the Hatten round, made in England, about $15. a pop.
    It's a powdered metal projectile and isent available for sale to civilians

It has issues, mostly from not fragmenting reliabily enough.
    It's earned a rep for hurting lots of people, civilians on the other side from over penetration and operators from secondary projectiles.

I was involved in some testing a few years ago for a better breaching round, which was completely developed, tested and perfected.
    Problem was in the funding, nobody wanted to invest the $$$ to tool up production without big contracts and the commitment for contracts just wasent there.
    So it went exactly nowhere.

I cant say much more than that, except powdered metal isent the way to go.

Boolit Master

When I went thru my two month CQB course, we were issued Hatten rounds for our cut down 870s for ballistic breaching (we also did mechnical and explosive breaching). This was in 98. As yovinny stated they are powdered metal. Either Cheaper than Dirt or Sportsmans Guide had some for sale not to long ago. Might check there.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Buddy
    When I wrote Woolts metal I was spelling it phonetically. That's what the tool and die maker used to call it, It was used by melting it and geting inside measurements, I don't think it had any shrinkage at all. He used it to cast Shad darts when the boss was'nt around, then he would get me to paint and tie em up for him. He forgot a small box of em on his dash and ended up with some kind of Modern art when they melted together..................steg

I wish I would have kept some to cast a few slugs just for s---- and giggles

Boolit Buddy
    healthydee, you found it, he just pronounced it with a "t"

Some of the youtube vids on "wax slugs" were pretty amazing. Someone already described it. You cut the crimp off of some cheapo birdshot and mix the shot with melted wax and pour it back in the wad to harden.

What I don't like about it is that the wax could easily get warm enough to melt.

So I'm wondering if you could do a similar thing with shot, metal filings, or whatever else and instead of wax use some poly-resin (you can get Bondo brand fiberglass resin at any auto store). The resin is fairly brittle so would probably blow apart on impact.

I was thinking of something more along the lines of a long-distance frangible slug than up close breaching though. I'm half thinking of casting some into a wad, and letting the resin while inside of a hull (to make sure it doesn't open up with curing). And make sure that the TOTAL mass of the projectile was accounted for when figuring out a powder charge. It wouldn't need any blinding speed I don't think.

Anyway, I don't really like the frangible slug idea for pistols (the penetration is terrible), and don't really like the idea of birdshot for BG's. But dumping an ounce of lead shot--all in a nice tight package--onto a target would give you obscene energy transfer.

So I'm wondering if you could do a similar thing with shot, metal filings, or whatever else and instead of wax use some poly-resin (you can get Bondo brand fiberglass resin at any auto store).
    Just remember when you're tinkering with stuff like this that the wad column must be able to freely start moving as soon as the expanding gases behind it attempt to push it. You don't want to use something that is going to glue the column to the hull. You can exceed maximum pressures in a shotgun just by adjusting your crimp too deep on an otherwise perfectly safe load so i would imagine that a wad column glued to the inside of the hull would raise pressures significantly.

Boolit Buddy
    Why not just a shot cup full of fine sand? You could wet pack it in with a light adhesive like 1 part wood glue in 10 parts water. That would make a sand slug that would completely come apart the instant it hit something, at least in theory.

Boolit Master

I would try some #8 or #9 shot and use hot glue to form a frangible round slug in a mold made from tubing or pipe , then push it in place and recrimp the shotshell...should work awesome and not melt in normal hot climates. Match the weight with the original load by removing some of the shot for the weight of the glue.

Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Why not just a shot cup full of fine sand?
    Sand would ruin the barrel of your shotgun quicker than anything else you could possibly shoot through it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast