RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bolt knob ideas????

Junior: That is correct however you must note that it is 150,000 LBS per "SQUARE INCH"...

A 1/4" bolt is only .049 sq in. in cross section or about 7350 LBS. and a little less at the root of the thread.

If you can generate 7300lbs of force you maybe a redneck?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Junior: That is correct however you must note that it is 150,000 LBS per "SQUARE INCH"...

A 1/4" bolt is only .049 sq in. in cross section or about 7350 LBS. and a little less at the root of the thread.

If you can generate 7300lbs of force you maybe a redneck?

Randy
    Not on my best day, and I'm 100% redneck!

Hey, by eyeball/school ruler measurement my new bolt & handle will have at least 2x the leverage of the old one.. I'm still waiting on the brown goodie truck....

Longwood
    The tinsel strength of a bolt has little to do with how easy they break when a side force is applied.
    Hard, grade eight bolts break, soft bolts, bend some, then break, aircraft grade bolts bend.

One way to look at it,, is if he uses a longer or a grade eight (AKA brittle,) bolt, the chance of it breaking are much better than using a shorter or a less brittle bolt.
    Of course,,,, , if he does manage to break the brittle bolt at it's weakest point,,, he will get some good experience at trying to get a HARD broken stub out of his rifle bolt.

I wish him a great deal of luck if that happens.

If you are buying your bolts at Home Depot, no-one knows what you will get, the alloys they use vary greatly even when bought in the same box.

Boolit Grand Master

The world record clean and jerk lift, set in mai Thailand December 4, 1997 by a russian bruiser by the name of Andrey Chemerkin, was 579 Lb.
    Now there are many who's hand tissue will not allow a lift of that weight without the flesh stripping from their hands.
    You figure that was a two handed example of what the human body is capable of, 579/2= 289.5Lb. of force is capable of being generated by a superman with one hand.
    Judging by his avatar, I doubt Jr. is an Olympian bolt grabber so we'll just say that on a really good day, after drinking 10 Red-Bulls and being in a hurry to cycle the action to dispatch of an angry charging, bear; Jr. is able to apply 250Lb. of force to said bolt.
    Point is, I very seriously doubt that an ordinary, or even extraordinary human being could willy-nilly snap off one of those bolts. (Even if they do wrastle crockagators in their spare time.)
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Longwood
    Give me a long enough lever,,,,
    I put my little mill/lathe on top of a 42 inch bench, by myself, using a small lever.

I doubt he will break it also but I am a retired mechanic that spent my entire life fixing broken stuff.
    I could not believe some of the "Why" stories.
    I can get the piece out if he does break it.
    I have tons of experience at it and know lots of the special tricks.
    We charged $20 for broken bolt removal,,, $100 if they tried it first.

By the way,,
    I used to amaze people by breaking old 12" files with a Karate chop.
    Last edited by Longwood; 04-26-2012 at 02:14 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    I dont know about a scull, but I could stack SS and walnut up and make you a very classy, one of a kind, bolt knob. I was a knifemaker for several years and I learned a few tricks to make something as small as a bolthandle look pretty striking.
    When I saw the mention of SS and all the skulls, I thought that you were ofering to do a Nazi style knob and I wasn't impressed. Then I realised you were talking about stainless steel and wood, lol. Sorry, my bad!

I one saw a set of tyre levers for a motorcycle and they looked like they'd make a perfect Euro style spoon handle bolt knob. I went home with all of my measurements and they were a touch too big.

I'm having a problem with the Remington 700 bolt knob hitting my trigger finger under recoil with the 375H&H. But, noooooooooooooooo, I ain't gonna do a Junior style bolt knob, sorry Junior. It is a shame, the 700's bolt is real pretty, but it bites. Maybe I'll try a leather fingerless glove.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 04-29-2012 at 08:45 AM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    .......I'm having a problem with the Remington 700 bolt knob hitting my trigger finger under recoil with the 375H&H. But, noooooooooooooooo, I ain't gonna do a Junior style bolt knob, sorry Junior. It is a shame, the 700's bolt is real pretty, but it bites. Maybe I'll try a leather fingerless glove.
    Ah, heck, Mick. That 700 would look cool with a deer antler knob like on my Turk!

Ain't this a heck of a note! Looks like the bolt handle will have a little back sweep whether I want it or not. I got in a hurry...... There's 7+ threads inside the hole.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Imported Photos 00011.JPG  

Kinda long ain't it? HaHa!

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Was the metal hard to drill? Once you get it bent like you want and get a good knob on it, it'll be alright.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Quote Originally Posted by roverboy View Post
    Was the metal hard to drill? Once you get it bent like you want and get a good knob on it, it'll be alright.
    Nope, the rifle bolt was easy to drill. I used one of the cheap HSS drills I sell. A #3 drill. The #8 hardware store bolt, however, was H-E-Double-L to thread 1/4x28. Hacksawing the 1/4" bolt to length was harder than hacksawing off the much thicker rifle bolt, too. That 1/4" bolt was HARD!

I gave up on the tap job and decided to go back to the hardware store for a lower quality bolt, hoping for softer metal. But then I decided to try one last time. It worked. The tap started cutting threads. The 1/4x28 tap came from a set I bought many years ago, so it may have had some wear. I bet it took me 2 hours to tap ~8 threads into the end of that 1/4" bolt!

Pictures later today. It looks good!
    Last edited by Junior1942; 05-03-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Junior: the key to cutting threads with a DIE is to get it started strait. This sounds simple however without some kind of mechanical means of insuring squareness "while" you are turning it for the first few threads, it is not easy.

The G8 bolt was not the problem I have threaded 100's of them. The alignment is the problem

If you have a lathe you can rig up something to hold the die perpendicular to the bolt while you turn it.

if you don't have a lathe then take a piece of metal 1/2" or better thick. drill a 1/4 hole thru it using a drill press so it is strait.

Hold the die in a vise, sit the guide on top of the die, and stick the bolt thru the hole. Turn bolt. it will start the die strait.

You can do the same thing to start a tap strait, except you put the tap thru the hole in the piece to insure it goes into the hole you want to thread, strait.

95% of tap breakage is caused by misalignment. It loads the tap more on one side than the other which makes the tap want to twist off.

This simple trick will save you a bunch of grief!

Also NEVER RUN A TAP OR A DIE DRY! Always use oil or some kind of tapping fluid.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Finished. Check it out. I twisted the plastic handle with all my might. It didn't budge. I twisted the bolt handle hard, way harder than if trying to unchamber a stuck round. It didn't budge. I increased the chambering leverage 2X over the Russian bolt. KCSO, and others, I thank y'all. I like it! I'll post the how-to article on castbullet.com in the "Make It" section. The stock came out great, too, as you can see!

Junior, there is a long dead Russian somewhere, turning in his grave over that job you have done on his old rifle, lol.

I think it matches the rifle perfectly. I also think the Russians would love it.

Love to see a pic of the whole gun. The stocks on those things always look unusually bad, it would be refreshing to see one done up nice.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    I think it matches the rifle perfectly. I also think the Russians would love it.

Love to see a pic of the whole gun. The stocks on those things always look unusually bad, it would be refreshing to see one done up nice.

Randy
    Here ya go: http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/rr2.htm Black paint is drying on the bolt as we speak. I don't think I'd call it "done up nice" however. But it IS dull and waterproof. And the new knob fits the palm of my hand just right. Plus it's slip proof.

Boolit Grand Master

there is a long dead Russian somewhere, turning in his grave over that job you have done on his old rifle
    Heck, he'll take it as a good excuse to drink another bottle of vodka..........then again, make that two bottles of vodka!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

Junior:

I have to give you credit for the inginuity...............and for the fact you been able to make a ugly rifle into an uglier one! But, function is the key. As long as it works.

Adding to what Mick said, multiply that by a few million!

RRR
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Master

Thats just Pure Bubbafication...You just took first place over the guy that welded a Kickstand on his mosin for a handle on another forum.

Words cannot describe what I really want to say about this as a Mosin collector...
    even more so as a Gunsmith.
    You should take up knitting...
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Longwood
    Looks good Jr.
    I have never met a deer that cared how pretty the gun was that killed it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast