RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yugo SKS

Yugo SKS

I just bought a Yugo SKS, all matching serial numbers. A couple of small scratches on the bluing (very small) a small ding in the wood stock. It looks unissued. A bayonet in perfect condition is on it.

I paid $250 for it. Did I get a good deal?

I have never owned one. Any advice on using it? Anyone load cast in them? Bullet style, weight?

Boolit Master

Good buy! I paid $200.00 and tax for mine a few years ago; it needed a bath in the worst way. I load the Lee C155-2R boolit over 1.9 cc's of H322. Pretty snappy load, but the brass doesn't go too far.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Boolit Grand Master

If the bore is good (not worn nor pitted) you got a very good deal. Lots of the yugo's were factory refurbished yet had very pitted and worn bores. The Yugo's bores were not chrome plated.

Larry Gibson

I finally took this to the range. It wont cycle at all. I have to manually eject each round. Any ideas for fixing?

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

I bet it has the same problem as mine had. Fixed it with a file. See http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/sks.htm

Boolit Grand Master

On top of the gas block you will find a button. If the button is in the top position allowing the grenade sight to come up the gas is cut off for grenade launching. Push in on the button and rotate it to the right until it stops and clicks out and the grenade sight is prevented from coming to the upright position. The SKS should function semi automatically then.

Larry Gibson

I am so inexperieinced with SKS's I didnt know they had gas blocks.

I'll check both links and read the threads.

I will also check the grenade launcher aspect.

Thanks guys.

Boolit Grand Master

Only the Yugo's have the gas block. If you put the button to the top position you can slide it back in the notch to the rear and the button and spring will come out. The gas block can then be removed from the rear of the gas block for cleaning if the gas tupe is removed.

Larry Gibson

By todays prices, you got it at pre Obama price
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Larry
    When I checked it, the button was up. I suspect that was the problem. I'll take it to the range this weekend and test. The grenade launcher and sight have been removed. Anyone know where I can buy one?

Thank you.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?b24t0c

Boolit Bub
    Crawdaddy

Does some place local have them for that price?

Thanks

Dave

No, I bought it from a co worker.
    Just noticed you were in abq. We are not to far apart.

Did you draw any tags? I got deer in unit 16, nothing else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Boolit Bub
    Yes, close.

Been a little windy.

I drew a MD tag in 27. And a Javelina tag other than the SW corner.

I took it to the range and it cycles perfectly. You nailed it Larry! Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

If you remove the gas block for cleaning don't lose the spring! Also if you rotate the gas tube take down lever (right side of rear sight block) beyond the top notch you can remove the gas piston tappet and spring. It is under spring tension so it will fly out if you don't hold it. Usually it doesn't need to be removed though.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Master
    The wife and I have pristine Yugo SKS's that we like to shoot. Kinda like the Eastern European version of the 30-30 in a way.

So...here's a dumb question. Can you shoot cast out of a Yugo SKS at usable, hunting velocities? Will the action cycle? How do you go about that...i.e. what mold, powder, die load etc. is involved? School me please, as I have two Yugo SKS's and lot's o' lead, primers and powder!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by offshore44 View Post
    The wife and I have pristine Yugo SKS's that we like to shoot. Kinda like the Eastern European version of the 30-30 in a way.

So...here's a dumb question. Can you shoot cast out of a Yugo SKS at usable, hunting velocities? Will the action cycle? How do you go about that...i.e. what mold, powder, die load etc. is involved? School me please, as I have two Yugo SKS's and lot's o' lead, primers and powder!
    You might want to ask that question on the CB Loads/Military Rifles forum. A search might yield some good info, too. To answer the first question, though, yes, you can shoot useable cast out of a Yugo SKS. Generally, a hunting load will have more than enough oomph to cycle the action. Lee makes some moulds specific to the 7.62x39 cartridge.
    Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.
    -Gaelic Proverb

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilcop22 View Post
    You might want to ask that question on the CB Loads/Military Rifles forum. A search might yield some good info, too. To answer the first question, though, yes, you can shoot useable cast out of a Yugo SKS. Generally, a hunting load will have more than enough oomph to cycle the action. Lee makes some moulds specific to the 7.62x39 cartridge.
    Somewhere on the forum, Junior came up with a very good cast load but you'll have to seach for it. My version (from memory) is a 175 grain RNFP boolit, gas checked, and pushed by 22 grains of surplus 4895. In my Yugo this load has more than enough "wump" for game and ejects the brass rather smartly. By dropping it down to 21 grains the brass lands within three feet of me.

As a further "Yugo" benefit, you can shut off the gas valve and operate it like a straight pull bolt action, saving your precious brass. The only thing I notice......on my gun anyway.....is that the gas selector button partially obscures my front sight, but there's enough to work with.
    Last edited by 3006guns; 05-21-2012 at 09:55 AM.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range

Quote Originally Posted by 3006guns View Post
    Somewhere on the forum, Junior came up with a very good cast load but you'll have to seach for it. My version (from memory) is a 175 grain RNFP boolit, gas checked, and pushed by 22 grains of 4895. In my Yugo this load has more than enough "wump" for game and ejects the brass rather smartly. By dropping it down to 21 grains the brass lands within three feet of me.

As a further "Yugo" benefit, you can shut off the gas valve and operate it like a straight pull bolt action, saving your precious brass. The only thing I notice......on my gun anyway.....is that the gas selector button partially obscures my front sight, but there's enough to work with.
    My load was with surplus 4895! See http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/sks.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast