MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lead tested today...

Thumbs up Lead tested today...

I gave a blood sample the other day for some testing. One of the test was for blood lead level.

It came out at 3.5 the upper range the report said was 29, over that and my Doc wants you to take meds to lower it.

After about a year of casting and many years of shooting lead some with BlackPowder adn lead balls I don't feel thats bad.

Anyone else know your Blood/Lead number?

Tim
    Last edited by twoworms; 04-06-2007 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Can't type...

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot indoors IPSC every Friday night for the last 27 years, cast
    bullets indoors, reload in the basement, etc. My blood lead has
    been in the upper 20s for about 20 years or more. This is NOT
    harmful, as the OSHA limit for people working in lead industry is
    40 mg/dl before it is necessary to change the work environment.

Most docs know relatively little about lead in the human body, and
    erroniously apply the children's standard of 10 mg/dl to adults.
    Children are building neurological systems and should not be exposed
    beyond 10 mg/dl. However, adults are fine at levels below 40.

Check this all out, don't assume your doc knows what he is talking
    about, and don't just blindly assume that I know what I'm talking
    about. I do believe that I know, and have researched it a lot, but
    not in the last 5-10 years.

Short answer, 29 is OK, but could possibly be lower if you are careful and
    make sure you don't drink, smoke or eat around lead or with lead
    on your hands. Ingestion is the most common route. Keep it as low
    as you can, but you should be safe with less than 40.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    I don't know the numbers, but tests seven and two years ago came out "normal."
    Not bad for serious casting since the late sixties.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master

Similar to Mtngun- I shoot about 10-15 k centerfire pistol +4-5 k rimfire+ 5 k shotgun per year. I cast to support the handguns and reload both hangun and shotgun ammo. During the winter months I shoot 2-3 times a week at our indoor club range which has decent ventilation if you want to turn it on and get cold. I got my lead level checked last year and showed 15mg/dl and was told adult acceptable was up to 25 mg. The only precaution I take is to wash my hands after casting, sizing, shooting or reloading.

I just go the "script" from the doc to have the test done. I get tested every 6 months because of the cholesterhol thing, and asked that he do the lead test once a year. I'll have the blood drawn this coming week, and apt. with the doc on the 17th. I should know shortly........
    "So how many Divisions does this Pope have?".. Joseph Stalin

"Be not afraid"..
    Pope John Paul II

Stupidity is also a gift of God, but one mustn't misuse it.
    Pope John Paul II

Boolit Master

Mine was 6.5 about a year ago after doing a lot of casting/smelting.
    At one with the gun.

I just got my results back this morning: 2. the paper said 0-19 was the acceptable range. Not sure why so many different ranges are "acceptable" based on the DR's report, but perhaps there are a few different scales to measure by...

"Be not afraid"..
    Pope John Paul II

Pope John Paul II

after 2 years of reloading and 0 of casting my lead level was 8 i think its in PPM? i'm not sure. 0-20 is acceptable. that being said, im turning 23 soon, and now will continue to get it checked every year with my cholesterol. i really like to stay on top of my health

Banned

You fellas are all OK unlike a friend that we called "Metal Man". He had silver in his hair, gold in his teeth and lead in his butt!

Banned

IVe been treated twice with chealting theropy. Mine was as high as 89 and after the two treatments was down around 20.

Boolit Grand Master

Mine must be getting pretty high because every time I step on a scale I'm heavier.

Seriously, there was a 50 ft indoor range at the armory I worked in several years ago. I shot in there at least 1 hr 3 times a week, trained other shooters in there cleaned it up and salvaged the range lead. You could shoot ammo up through 2,000 fps there. We shot lots of cast out of all sorts of handguns, rifles and sub MGs along with .22LR in target rifles and M16A1s. There were 3 of us authorized to clean it up and we were tested every 3 months for lead. Myself and one of the others also did a considerable amount of our own bullet casting. We were always quite low, usually under the 10 mgs. None of us smoked cigerettes, we didn't eat or drink in the range and we always washed our hands when done. We didn't chew on any bullets either. My casting area in the garage is well ventalated when I cast. I think "lead safety" is a matter of common sense and taking ordinary precautions. Getting checked is a good idea.

Larry Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Mine must be getting pretty high because every time I step on a scale I'm heavier.

Seriously, there was a 50 ft indoor range at the armory I worked in several years ago. I shot in there at least 1 hr 3 times a week, trained other shooters in there cleaned it up and salvaged the range lead. You could shoot ammo up through 2,000 fps there. We shot lots of cast out of all sorts of handguns, rifles and sub MGs along with .22LR in target rifles and M16A1s. There were 3 of us authorized to clean it up and we were tested every 3 months for lead. Myself and one of the others also did a considerable amount of our own bullet casting. We were always quite low, usually under the 10 mgs. None of us smoked cigerettes, we didn't eat or drink in the range and we always washed our hands when done. We didn't chew on any bullets either. My casting area in the garage is well ventalated when I cast. I think "lead safety" is a matter of common sense and taking ordinary precautions. Getting checked is a good idea.

Larry Gibson
    The fella that ran the indoor range by my home got lead poisoning pretty bad. I'm not sure he's still with us. Saw him at a gun show or two after the place closed, but never after that. The range closed and became of all things: A CHINESE RESTURAUNT! I've told everyone I know DON"T EAT AT THAT PLACE!!! You gonna tell tell me these folks did an environmental "space suite" cleanup of the place...

Sal didn't have adequate air movement and ventilation in the range and he paid the price. If one spent that much time cleaning things up and stayed healthy, the ventilation must have been good, and that's a good thing!

"Be not afraid"..
    Pope John Paul II

Pope John Paul II

Boolit Master
    I got tested last fall and was at 19 mg/dl. I wanted to baseline my wife and daughter (3yo) and my wife was 3, and daughter less than 1.

My doctor told me that he'd like to see me drop from 19 because there are issues with prolonged exposure at light/moderate levels. I need to go back and get tested again, but just haven't got off my butt.

Mike

Boolit Buddy

I was wondering if health insurance covers the cost of these tests and if they don't, does anyone know how much a test like this costs?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Boolit Buddy
    After 30+ years of casting and shooting had mine tested, two years ago. Dr said it was normal, didn't give me a #.

Did it the same time as other tests and the insurance paid for it.

My doctor told me he didn't know if insurance would pay. I told him I am in constant contact with lead, he sure as hell better order a test. I asked him if I worked in a coal mine if he'd think a chest xray would be in order?

He ordered it with the next cholestorol test, and insurance paid. He just needed to know why is was a "good thing to do"..

"Be not afraid"..
    Pope John Paul II

Pope John Paul II

Boolit Master
    Mallard57, I have had mine done twice during routine check ups, and just requested it be done. I think the extra test was only like 20$ or so, but I was having blood drawn anyways, so if just going for a lead test alone, I would expect it would run more. It's worth doing for peace of mind.

Boolit Master

Wink

LOL!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    You fellas are all OK unlike a friend that we called "Metal Man". He had silver in his hair, gold in his teeth and lead in his butt!
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Smile

Different labs have different normal ranges for all of their tests. Their procedures won't always give exactly the same results when run on the same person at the same time. They run their tests on groups of "normal" people and run their statistics on them to decide what range is "normal." A statistician would have to explain the fine points, and sometimes clinical considerations override the purely statistical ones to some extent, but as I understand it for most things the "normal" range covers about 95% of "normal" people.
    "A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Boolit Master
    I recently had a test that came back at 10.5 mg/dl. The indoor range I shoot at is filthy. Doc wants to see me again in 3 months. I'm thinking of cutting down my range trips to once/week, (I have been going 2-4x), and just waiting another 6-12 months for another test. I'm 65 years old next month.
    Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast