Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lead tested today...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sknhgy View Post
    I recently had a test that came back at 10.5 mg/dl. The indoor range I shoot at is filthy. Doc wants to see me again in 3 months. I'm thinking of cutting down my range trips to once/week, (I have been going 2-4x), and just waiting another 6-12 months for another test. I'm 65 years old next month.
    Thoughts?
    1.5 years ago my lead level was 9.x, 6 months later it was around 6.x. I just had it tested again 2 weeks ago and it was down to 4.0. Time is one thing that will help lower your lead level. Another thing I have read and done myself is take about 1500 mg of vitamin c daily. I have no scientific proof that vitamin c helps to lower your lead level, but it seems to have helped me to lower mine. BTW I am 67.

The main thing that will get you is after shooting/handling steel targets and then not washing your hands... I mean there is a layer of lead dust on those targets... Just make sure to wash up before you drink/smoke/eat.

With casting, I always do it outside with a nice fan blowing over the top of my pot. I think the most risk while casting for getting lead in your body is probably little burns or the tinsel fairy.
    WWG1WGA

My next blood test is next month. I had to switch to yet another doctor at the university clinical center. I keep living longer and they keep retiring. I got lucky this time, his best friend growing up, had a father who was a police officer and a competitive shooter. So my doctor understands the issue.
    What he discovered regarding lead testing is that there is an insurance category for testing people who don't fit other categories, but who should be tested occasionally. Potters, people who work with pottery glazes, pottery collectors, china collectors, shooters in general, shade tree mechanics and home flippers. Ask carefully since you only "heard about this group" and you may get the test added for free.

Zombie thread back to life after 13 years
    μολών λαβέ

Boolit Master
    I posted on this thread back in 2007. My level was 19 mg/dl at the time because I'd been drinking coffee while melting wheel weights. When I stopped doing stupid things like that my level dropped to a consistent level of less than 5 mg/dl.

What elevates blood lead levels is eating, drinking or smoking while casting or otherwise melting lead alloys. Indoor ranges with inadequate ventilation used to be #1, however that's changed a lot in the last 20 years.

It's all about ingesting organic lead compounds. Don't do that and your levels will be perfectly fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12